Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
A11M11

Re: Unai Emery

Post by A11M11 »

I hope he doesnt tarnish his legacy, but builds on it.

I hope that he's got it written in stone that should it all goes tits up he doesn't get sacked and has to leave the club completely.
We are seeing the fruits of his work with the young players that will be the future of our squad . Whatever happens with the first team in the next twelve weeks should not be a reason for him to leave.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:42 pm
Thanks Unai

Thanks for not constantly blaming referees, fixture schedules, financial fair play, special circumstances, accidents, the recession, global warming, the 4th official, financial doping, the volcanic ash cloud and the internal transfer market

Thanks for taking the time to learn English and having the piss taken out of you for it when other managers and players barely spoke a word 3 years into their tenure

Thanks for trying to connect with the fans in a positive way through the media instead of being a patronising, condescending c.unt who took every opportunity to remind us how ungrateful we all were

Thanks for trying something different instead of the pre-programmed substitutions after 70 minutes of every match

Thanks for managing to sign some players after international tournaments even though it was apparently impossible to do so

Thanks for generally being a decent humble bloke

Thanks for playing football between August and February last season that was far more competitive and passionate than any of the dross served up by the previous c.unt in the past decade (you might remember "we've got our Arsenal back")

Thanks for carrying Kroenke's can and we will now see who's next in line for that

None of that counts for most people, as they'd sell their soul to have a despicable c.unt like Mourinho take over

We'll also see how they're feeling when Nuno Espirito Wonfuckallio Santo wanders in

It didn't end well and the football of the past few weeks has been a bit shit, but in your only full season you finished 1 point outside the CL and lost the Europa final - something the previous cock couldn't muster
Yeah, well said. There were positives. I was very hopeful for this year despite the late collapse last season.

Plus in no way have the injuries been any where as bad under his tenure, and we have had players shooting and scoring from outside the box, and weve been scoring from corner routines :shock:

It hasn't all been backwards

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:20 am
I actually feel for him. Seemed a decent bloke, conducted himself well, but it became clear he couldn't improve us or even stop the rot. I still say that It stopped being his fault post-Leicester and the board should have acted then.

Although I really wanted him out, I do wish him all the best for the future.
Agreed mate. Nice person / human. Just the wrong man for the job...What we need to consider is who was it that appointed him. I know it was Gazidis that was part of the media love in showing him around the ground and introducing him to the media etc, but was it Gazidis or a Raul or ????

I wish him well - he tried but it didn't happen. Also he was taking on a club in total disarray after wenger fucked us over.

I just don't want the fans turning on Freddie - He is one of my favourite invincible players..

Also we have to bring back the Freddie Song.:

We Love You Freddie Cos You've Got No Hair
You're only Temporary
But We Don't Care
Cos We Love you Fredddddddieeee! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :D

augie

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:06 pm
Im also sad to see him go - he was a nice bloke, very humble, seemingly hard working etc.

I read the biography of him and was impressed, but he wasnt up to the job really in hindsight- he could of taken over a successful squad, he didnt have the ability to instill organisation, discipline and desire into those players with poor ability or lack of effort.

The PL is so quick and the players so strong physically that you have to defend as a team, and for whatever reason, our lot just couldnt - both full backs were always too high, and no one stayed to cover behind them.

The new manager will have to fix that and be ruthless - xhaka, should never play again. Mustafi same. Luiz - cover for CDM only. Dozer - play as the sitting CDM. Tackle, pass, hold. stop dribbling, stop losing the ball. Leno. Dropped until he can distribute quicker. Bellerin. Dropped until he can go outside.

I like steve o, thank Unai for his effort and conduct, and also for bringing on the young talent - saka, willock, reiss, even chambers and giving them a chance.

FWIW. freddie was my favourite invincible too, for his attitude and workrate - just as Parlour did before him, he was a workhouse who joined defence and attack, but would play anywhere for the shirt - even as centreforward if you remember, for five games or so. Scored a few too.

He also wasnt afraid of a fight on the pitch - he was a terror and a terrier. The song says it all :

We love you Freddie, beacuse youve got red hair, we love you Freddie cos youre everywhere - youre Arsenal through and through.

I hope he doesnt tarnish his legacy, but builds on it. :barscarf: :|

Think you are one of a very small group there buddy (only kidding steve o :wink: )

Sean

Post by Sean »

It's a shame that it didn't work out. I wanted to give him two full seasons before looking at where we were, but the results since the spring have been pretty poor. I certainly preferred him being appointed over Arteta, which seemed to be the only credible options that our tin-pot board were looking at in the end. The AKBs were certainly waiting for Dick to fail, to avenge their fallen fraud and master. Dick certainly had the European trophy pedigree that the previous manager never had. On paper, it should have worked out. He actually prepared for the opposition, but he tinkered too much and couldn't fix our awful defence and continued the modern club tradition of collecting midfielders like football stickers. He learned English and still had the piss ripped out of him, inside and outside the club. The language barrier is an issue and I hope future Arsenal managers don't have to learn English from scratch. Obviously, someone like Allegri would have been preferred to begin with, but I doubt they will even go back in for him now.

After a couple of years off from watching our games live, I started again early this season and was rewarded with that utter shite that we've had this season. Though it feels like the previous manager never left, it was sad to see people here already turning, even before this past winless month. Given how gloomy things were here and around the club, I wasn't up to posting as it felt like it had all been said before under the previous manager. His poisoned legacy has struck from beyond the grave of his managerial career while he sucks the blood-money out of FIFA now.

Obviously, our central defence is shit and Xhaka is a big problem and a liability on and off the pitch, more so after his petulant display. Fuck him. Ozil has been another cancer at the club; as talented as he has been, he is not cut out for this physical league and is soaking up the wage budget for little return. Losing Sanchez was catastrophic for him, as they had a pretty good partnership. It's also a shame that Ozil couldn't do much even after we finally upgraded the ear-cupping donkey for Aubameyang and Lacazette, who even then tend to drop out of games. We're pretty much forced to play two up front for maximum firepower, but it means playing around with the numbers in defence and midfield, and they are pretty porous. It seems that Dick never had great support from this pampered dressing room. Though holding a player vote for the role and honour of Arsenal captain, and Xhaka winning, was never going to end well for him. One of the few shining lights this season has been Martinelli.

I hope Freddie does well and doesn't become another Solksjaer. We can only take it one game at a time. I have no confidence in Wiggy and his team of cockroaches to appoint anyone good soon, or at the end of the season. Nuno Espírito Santo can fuck off - He's won nothing but Division Two. We've been also-rans for 15 years and counting, but one would think that we could get someone who won a significant title.

UTA :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sean!!! ???

Good to see you back mate- How are you ????

Yes, it is a shame that it didn't work as Emery seems like a really nice bloke who tried his best..it just wasn't to be.

So Now we all need to get behind Freddy! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

We Love You Freddie Cos You've Got No Hair
You're only Temporary
But We Don't Care
Cos We Love you Fredddddddieeee!
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thanks Unai

Thanks for not......

being Arsene Wenger

None of that counts for most people, as they'd sell their soul to have a despicable c.unt like Mourinho take over

We'll also see how they're feeling when Nuno Espirito Wonfuckallio Santo wanders in

It didn't end well and the football of the past few weeks has been a bit shit, but in your only full season you finished 1 point outside the CL and lost the Europa final - something the previous cock couldn't muster

Oh stop it, I'm filling up here :lol:

I'm sure we paid him a few quid for all those average things he achieved.

So just to be clear did you want to keep him or are you going all in on Dyche :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:39 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thanks Unai

Thanks for not......

being Arsene Wenger

Oh stop it, I'm filling up here :lol:

I'm sure we paid him a few quid for all those average things he achieved.

So just to be clear did you want to keep him or are you going all in on Dyche :lol:
I don't think it matters if I wanted to keep him - in the end the majority of the fans have spoken and once they do its very difficult to climb down from that. Its also clear that some of our big name spoilt wankers have stopped playing for him and in an era of player power that means the end is inevitable

I've never been all in for Dyche - in fact I've said many times I would like to see Allegri - but I'm certainly not snobbish enough to toss his name aside; particularly when a fucking lightweight like Nuno Espirito Santo is supposedly the bookies favourite to get the job.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Athletic | Luiz fell out of with one of Emery’s coaching staff in front of the whole group, apparently feeling demeaned that the coach was treating him like a child by trying to teach him how to defend.

Athletic | Xhaka felt angered and undermined by Emery for taking so long to name the captains. Unai allegedly discussed the captaincy with another member of the squad. The anger he showed the supporters, he also felt for Emery in equal measure.

Athletic | The influx of a group of younger, English players didn’t help Emery. This contingent felt a greater affinity to Ljungberg, both on account of having worked with him before and his superior communication skills.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thanks Unai

Thanks for not constantly blaming referees, fixture schedules, financial fair play, special circumstances, accidents, the recession, global warming, the 4th official, financial doping, the volcanic ash cloud and the internal transfer market

Thanks for taking the time to learn English and having the piss taken out of you for it when other managers and players barely spoke a word 3 years into their tenure

Thanks for trying to connect with the fans in a positive way through the media instead of being a patronising, condescending c.unt who took every opportunity to remind us how ungrateful we all were

Thanks for trying something different instead of the pre-programmed substitutions after 70 minutes of every match

Thanks for managing to sign some players after international tournaments even though it was apparently impossible to do so

Thanks for playing football between August and February last season that was far more competitive and passionate than any of the dross served up by the previous c.unt in the past decade (you might remember "we've got our Arsenal back")

Thanks for carrying Kroenke's can and we will now see who's next in line for that

Post of the season so far ! :high5:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thanks Unai

+1

He gave it a good go, he tried a new approach, he did some good things and throughout his tenure he faced up and didn't blame anything and everything when things didn't go his way.

It descended into a complete shit show, and frankly I'm glad that it went so south so quickly that the board couldn't keep letting him make a fool of himself and dragging the fans through all of this shit.

No ill-will at all towards him. The job was too big for him at the end of the day, as it would be for just about any manager out there right now.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

northbank123 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:54 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thanks Unai

+1

He gave it a good go, he tried a new approach, he did some good things and throughout his tenure he faced up and didn't blame anything and everything when things didn't go his way.

It descended into a complete shit show, and frankly I'm glad that it went so south so quickly that the board couldn't keep letting him make a fool of himself and dragging the fans through all of this shit.

No ill-will at all towards him. The job was too big for him at the end of the day, as it would be for just about any manager out there right now.
Apart from good old Nuno - the genius who scraped Wolves into the Europa League scoring fewer goals than anyone else in the top half, with a goal difference of +1 over 38 games, and spending 101m odd in doing so. Spent another £87m this season too to win 1 more point than us, same number of goals and 4 wins from 13. People have got the cheek to call Burnley boring. The only way to get me walking round Christmas markets with the missus would be the alternative threat of watching Wolves

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Not that being a decent human being counts for some on here (not all thankfully) but read this and say whether the bloke deserved "What do we think of Emery? SHIT" and "We hate Emery" from those sad pricks that call themselves fans on AFTV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50609598

"It has been an honour to be the Arsenal head coach," said Emery, who previously led Paris St-Germain to the French league title and won three Europa Leagues with Sevilla.

"To all the fans, I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for helping me to understand and feel the greatness of Arsenal.

"To all of you who have supported us from every corner of the globe, all of you who have come to the Emirates, all of you who have waited in the rain and cold just to greet me after a game, I would have liked nothing more than to have achieved better results for you."

He added: "It has been a year and a half full of emotions, of great moments and some other more bitter ones, but not a single day has gone by without me stopping to think about how lucky I have been to work for this club with these players and their professional and personal qualities."

Compare and contrast that to the bitter bile being spewed out from the previous fucktard

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

The usual idiots are being their usual selves on social media but that doesn't really come as a surprise anymore. We do seem to be saddled with some of the biggest twats of any club in our fanbase.

I don't have any ill feelings towards Unai but I'm glad he has gone but I don't harbour too much of the goodwill that some on here seem to have for him. It's been a fairly tough watch this last 18 months and his refusal / inability to address some of the more obvious failings of the side have been frustrating.

For the record his leaving message also includes the following paragraphs.

"In particular, I want to highlight Ivan Gazidis, who welcomed me to the club, and Raul Sanllehi, Edu and Vinai Venkatesham for their respect, companionship and help. Until the very last minute I have been treated with honour and honesty. And of course, I send my sincere gratitude to the Kroenke family, for their trust.

It has been a year and a half full of emotions, of great moments and some other more bitter ones, but not a single day has gone by without me stopping to think about how lucky I have been to work for this club with these players and their professional and personal qualities.

They have always honoured the shirt they wear. They deserve your support."

So Gazidis is a good guy and worthy of a name check and our players have always honoured the shirt.......really Unai?

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:51 pm
The usual idiots are being their usual selves on social media but that doesn't really come as a surprise anymore. We do seem to be saddled with some of the biggest twats of any club in our fanbase.

I don't have any ill feelings towards Unai but I'm glad he has gone but I don't harbour too much of the goodwill that some on here seem to have for him. It's been a fairly tough watch this last 18 months and his refusal / inability to address some of the more obvious failings of the side have been frustrating.

For the record his leaving message also includes the following paragraphs.

"In particular, I want to highlight Ivan Gazidis, who welcomed me to the club, and Raul Sanllehi, Edu and Vinai Venkatesham for their respect, companionship and help. Until the very last minute I have been treated with honour and honesty. And of course, I send my sincere gratitude to the Kroenke family, for their trust.

It has been a year and a half full of emotions, of great moments and some other more bitter ones, but not a single day has gone by without me stopping to think about how lucky I have been to work for this club with these players and their professional and personal qualities.

They have always honoured the shirt they wear. They deserve your support."

So Gazidis is a good guy and worthy of a name check and our players have always honoured the shirt.......really Unai?

Which is perfectly understandable and acceptable - there are a few on here though who have been very abusive towards the man recently but are now wishing him well/talking about him as a good guy, and I find hypocrisy like that is embarrassing tbh :oops: :oops: