Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Clash »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:31 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:21 pm
I've supported the appointment of Emery since day one. However, after watching the way he set up the team today I really cannot begin to understand what he was trying to achieve. Yes, he avoided a hammering of last season proportions but the plan didn't work because we needed Lacazette and Torreira on from the start instead of Xhaka and Cellabos. At one point Cellabos stopped chasing back because he was being run ragged and his frustration showed.
He's now under pressure to deliver next week because we cannot afford to lose against that lot up the road.
Me too, but for yesterdays fuckedupness Unai Emery is to Blame. It was he who selected the team and He who decided on the diamond formation, a formation the players had NOT played in before.

The players can only operate within the constraints of the system they are told to play in, it was always going to be a tough ask to go to scouseshyteland and get a result, the players were asked to play in an unfamiliar system AND he chose the wrong selection from the off, he should have chosen Laca and Torreira to start, instead he chose the equivalent of his love child xhaka.

The scousefilth were petrified of Pepe's pace and as has been rightly stated, had Emery put on Laca nd Auba - all have pace and put Tprreira as the mid-field anchor & holder instead of that useless wankker xhaka to protect the back line Kloppcunt wouldn't have been able to pile all their players so far up the pitch and press us so tightly. because any breaks would see our front 3 destroy them.

If anyone is to blame it is Unai Emery and that is worrying as he has been shown to be tactically naive before - the last 5 games of last season finished our chances of CL and again he did too much tinkering. :?

I so want him and so us to succeed especially after so many years of TOF the Despot. But unless he can see his Errors and learn from them he may not keep all the fans onside :?
This really fucks me off and I dont understand it either.

I can see why Wenger picked Xhaka. Wenger was a narcissistic and stubborn old fucker who couldnt admit he'd made a bad buy and so he would stick with a piece of shit like Xhaka because his ego wouldnt let him do otherwise.

But Emery has no reason to persist with him and surely he must see how much of a fucking liability he is. Its even worse if Torreira is just sitting on the bench. I will be livid if he doesnt start against the scum.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Dick out

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I still can't work out what Emery thought he would achieve yesterday by allowing their full backs the freedom of the park and all in the hope we might get a breakaway. We should have scored through Pepe but any tactic that is predicated on the idea of allowing the opposition to continuously run at what's already a fragile back line is just plain stupid. He also just randomly leaves Lacazette out, as though leaving your best players on the bench is going to increase your chances of a result, this really is from the Wenger book of shitty management. how many times do we need to see him shit the bed tactically to see he is not the man for the job. I see on twitter that the excuse of "this is the European champions, what do you expect" is being thrown about, as though we should just ignore shitty management. While pissed off yesterday, I was looking for Emery to go and although I know that's ridiculous at this early stage, I get the feeling that this season will be one giant exercise in kicking the can down the road with the wrong man before we get rid next summer.

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

.... ... .... More dots

LOUD SIGH.. ... ..

[Attempt at the DEFENSE of Emery] :roll:

1st we saw a Match With NO MUSTAFI... :)

Then..a Match With NO MUSTAFI, NO OZIL... :D
Then at Burnley, even though all parties were fit ..we saw a Match With NO MUSTAFI, NO OZIL , NO XHAKA :shock: :barscarf: 8) :dancingbanana: :dance: :whee:

He knows where the Deadwood is, 30yr old's [ Like Me ] & Former TOP Quality....some were Never there, just chosen & put out of position [XHAKA]

He's Been Phasing them out as Intelligently as he could & in the Window he got Reinforcements in...most Likely THE WRONG AREA but improvements in the Crucial Area. [Defense.....'Sport Scientists' :pixie2: who looked at last season, ALONE & decided ATTACK was the weakest area...should be put down!...after 2 Consecutive 50+ Goals conceeded Seasons, after Same amt of goals scored & after Neglecting that MOST Every team in 2019/20 Season has IMPROVED in key Areas, achieving BALANCE, Where as we went in the opposite dir as usual, After Ignoring that the TOP 4 battle WILL Honestly be a 7 to 9 Horse Race this season...Leicester, Wolves, Everton,Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea,ManU...[Enter your DARK HORSE HERE :censored: ]

THE ENTIRE LEAGUE has Improved, its no longer going to be Just a Simple EASY game at Anybody.

So he's Slowly, CAREFULLY Phasing out the Deadwood, [ Properly & Violently With Mustafi & Elneny!! :twisted: ]

& to Aviod Injury, he's Slowly & Carefully Integrating & Making Regular the New Quality & BEST PLAYERS..Fighters, Ball Winners!

The Best Midfielder we have is LUCAS TORREIRA....Forget Ozil..[Thanks for the memories]..Forget 'Overhyped' Ceballos..., but Torreira came on in this MOST DIFF MATCH...

against the UCL WINNERS & Scored & he's a BLOODY DM!!!!...Like Kante..he's much more talented than to just be put in that category, nor to be

treated as ' Late Game Management' & 'Damage Limitation' ONLY!!!

Emery Must know this

He took his time Introducing Pepe, Making sure he was fit B4 his 1st full 90, He's Doing the Same with Torreira Hopefully![100%FIT]

[ PEPE is the 1st HUMAN to dribble past Virgil Van Dyke since Mikel Merino 50 games Prior, so his Benching of Lacazette was JUSTIFED & You Know it! Tactically it made sense to play a New Player that COULD get past the BEST DEFENDER in the world...Def BALLON DOR Winner for 2019, & the Top goal Scorer for Last season, the only one NOT IN A LIVERPOOL SHIRT..aka AUBA...who had a chance & was NOT CLINICAL...Shielded off the ball like a Baby, with ONE HAND by Van DAMME!!!.....Emery's Tactics made sense...had either of them scored the game would have been diff...were at a dif development stage that UCL Winners Liver..so this is GOOD!...hope he works on their CLINICAL Speed & Accuracy...Auba could have taken the shot with his 1st touch...]

Next up is Xhaka on the bench & Torreira STARTING + [ANYBODY except Xhaka] as the DM partneship for the season.

& we go Foward with that I hope...& in the Jan Transfer Window...we MOVE ON some more DEADWOOD! ...& get a RB because Bellerin looks like

he'll be ready in 2023, & Ainsley is being abused OUT OF POSITION Wenger Style!

#COYG.....we must Completely OBLITERATE SPURS!!!

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!! :crest:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Can you imagine the field day for the rag tops if the Arsenal and Norwich managers got sacked at the same time?.....

Dick out and Farke off!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

herbert

Post by herbert »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:03 pm
Can you imagine the field day for the rag tops if the Arsenal and Norwich managers got sacked at the same time?.....

:lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

We have a front two that are genuinely respected and feared in this league. Adding Pepe makes the front three as dynamic as Liverpool's front three. Klopp got the attacked sorted then sorted out the defence and goalkeeper. Playing out from the back against a high pressing team is suicidal. Basically, against Liverpool and man city you bypass their high press and sling the ball out to the wings. One attacker collects and runs forward with the ball, the other two run alongside in support. One cross and there are two players running in for it. Simple really. Do that from the off and the attacking full backs have to stay back and defend. How do I know this great tactic? I've seen the opposition do it to Arsenal enough times on counter attacks over the last 10 years.
The best way to set up this team is 4-2-1-3. We've an attack that cost £180m. Play all 3 of them at the same time. Pretty simple really

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

TeeCee wrote:

You do know Dick isn't his real name and that's what we've christened him on this forum?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Blimey mate, sense of humour failure?? :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:49 am
TeeCee wrote:

You do know Dick isn't his real name and that's what we've christened him on this forum?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

REALLY!!! ???

:lol: :wink: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 am
We have a front two that are genuinely respected and feared in this league. Adding Pepe makes the front three as dynamic as Liverpool's front three. Klopp got the attacked sorted then sorted out the defence and goalkeeper. Playing out from the back against a high pressing team is suicidal. Basically, against Liverpool and man city you bypass their high press and sling the ball out to the wings. One attacker collects and runs forward with the ball, the other two run alongside in support. One cross and there are two players running in for it. Simple really. Do that from the off and the attacking full backs have to stay back and defend. How do I know this great tactic? I've seen the opposition do it to Arsenal enough times on counter attacks over the last 10 years.
The best way to set up this team is 4-2-1-3. We've an attack that cost £180m. Play all 3 of them at the same time. Pretty simple really
Two things.

1. That mouser defence is not "sorted". They have one very good defender who still shits the bed if you run at him and the rest are bog average to goodish at best. We were shit and they still gifted us 4 good opportunities to score. The pace and ability of their front three hugely covers a very beatable midfield and defence.

2. Who is the 1 in your 4-2-1-3..... ?

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Two things.

1. That mouser defence is not "sorted". They have one very good defender who still shits the bed if you run at him and the rest are bog average to goodish at best. We were shit and they still gifted us 4 good opportunities to score. The pace and ability of their front three hugely covers a very beatable midfield and defence.

Only City's defence is better due to their ridiculous depth but Liverpool's defence only conceded 22 goals in the league last season which is usually good enough to win the title :D . They definitely look a lot more vulnerable this season trying to press further up the pitch and with that clown Adrian in goal instead of Allison.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

I have been a supporter of Emery, but mostly just due to the fact that he WASN'T Wenger. But now that honeymoon has worn off. His decision and tactics against Liverpool were shocking. Plus the fact that he allowed the team to capitulate at the end of last season while in prime position to finish 3rd.

Honestly, if he were fired tomorrow I wouldn't mind.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Two things.

In response
1) best defence in the league last season, are you saying robertson and alexander arnold are bog average compared to monreal and maitland-niles (who isn't even a defender so that is a bye)

2) cellabos/ willock/ guendouzi / ozil. In that order. My two would be Luiz / Torreira and the four when fit would be bellerin/ holding/sokratis/ tierney.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:49 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Two things.

In response
1) best defence in the league last season, are you saying robertson and alexander arnold are bog average compared to monreal and maitland-niles (who isn't even a defender so that is a bye)

2) cellabos/ willock/ guendouzi / ozil. In that order. My two would be Luiz / Torreira and the four when fit would be bellerin/ holding/sokratis/ tierney.
1. Ridiculous comparison ffs. Monreal and AMN are terrible defenders. Those two mouser players are average to goodish but not top quality. Top quality midfielders and defenders don't let players waltz through the middle of the park to get one on one with their keeper and they do not concede 4 gilt edged chances to a team playing as shit as we were. The fact that victim team is the second best team in the PL is not an indictment of how good they are - it is a glaring indictment of just how shit and devoid of true quality the PL currently is.

2. That 1 in your formation is a number 10 in reality. Cellabos is not experienced enough yet in the PL and is too loose with possession - he'd be eaten alive by that scum midfield. That's not to say he might not develop into that role but it's too soon for him. Willock? Are you serious? They'd have him as a snack ffs. The Dozer is not a 10 - he too is too loose with his passing and far too often gets caught and gives away cheap possession. Ozil? The only one we have that can link the play and put a ball where it needs to go and retain posession..... but that's Ozil on a good day and he picks and chooses his good days. Also he hasn't played enough yet to be fully match fit so he's a no for me.

I literally would not start any one of those players as a 10 in that formation against the scum at this time.