Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Supagoon

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Supagoon »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm
Anyone remember the last Spanish manager who came to north London with a europa league trophy under his belt with Sevilla :lol:
Didn't he go on to be one of their most successful managers in their history. Probably.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Anybody know if Emery has ever managed against Arsenal in his career?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Supagoon wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:36 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:21 pm
Anyone remember the last Spanish manager who came to north London with a europa league trophy under his belt with Sevilla :lol:
Didn't he go on to be one of their most successful managers in their history. Probably.
Won 50% of all their trophies in the last 27 years didn't he?

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:38 pm
Last season in the group stages of the Champions League with PSG. Both games were draws.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:41 pm
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:38 pm
Last season in the group stages of the Champions League. Both games were draws.
Ah right, thanks. My AFC history in general is pretty decent, but totally switched off last year after Wenger's contract was renewed.

Edit: Oh wait, I'm getting myself confused. It was Nov 2016 apparently, 2-2 at the Emirates.
Last edited by VoiceOfReason on Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

You would hope he’s had enough of pampered divas after two years at PSG. Difference was that he was still odds on to win titles with that squad - if he panders to this lot he will finish 6th again.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Maybe I'm petty, but if I was Emery I wouldn't let John Cross anywhere near the Emirates after that hatchet job in The Mirror. :roll: All I can think is that Cross must have had big money on Arteta to get the job :?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Delighted it’s him and not Arteta but it worries me a little that it really sounds like Arteta pulled out because he wouldn’t have a say in transfers, in particular, who he could sell. Maybe Tets would have come in and got rid of lots of deadwood and Emery is happy to not have any say in it? On paper it’s a decent appointment for a struggling club (and we are struggling). I can only see an improvement but the ‘three wise men’ heading up the club worry me a bit!!

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

For me, it's just the change that will be a breath of fresh air! Arteta would have been same old, same old. Now the start of the season will provide something new and we can actually look forward to it for the first time in about 8 years! Get rid of the dead wood (fuck me, that's a job and a half!), different tactics for different teams, and a proper plan b.
Happy days!

augie

Post by augie »

goonertux wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:06 pm
For me, it's just the change that will be a breath of fresh air! Arteta would have been same old, same old. Now the start of the season will provide something new and we can actually look forward to it for the first time in about 8 years! Get rid of the dead wood (fuck me, that's a job and a half!), different tactics for different teams, and a proper plan b.
Happy days!

Exactly - coaching philosophy and mindset would have not changed 1 jot under arteta, but chances are everything else might have slipped further into the shitter due to arteta's lack of experience, and an expected lack of respect from the players.

I started out in this new manager saga, with the mindset that this is gonna be a real tough mess to clean up and there would be no quick fix, so I am very comfortable with emery coming in as our next manager 8) Was he in the top 3 of my preferred list of options no, but he will certainly bring tons of experience and organisation to a club that badly needs it. I am confident that even if he isnt the man to lead us back to the top again, at least he wont be the guy that can drag us down beyond the point of no return like I suspected arteta would

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Clean break.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Sun say Emery blew away #Arsenal’s recruitment team — led by Gazidis, Sanllehi & Mislintat — during a stunning presentation a fortnight ago. He staggered them with a forensic analysis of every player in the squad & provided detailed stats & info on how he would improve them. https://t.co/4zrkaW8NJq

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Emery made it clear he planned to build his vision around 2 key players he regards as central to his plans - Aubameyang & Ramsey. Emery’s depth of knowledge of every #Arsenal player left Gazidis & his team gobsmacked — & overshadowed every other presentation, including Arteta’s. https://t.co/DHLDXKN54R

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

No doubt he used this forum for his research in preparation for his presentation :barscarf: :D

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Emery’s attention to detail was described as Guardiola-like & the calm passion he displayed immediately won over Gazidis & co. He knew more about the #Arsenal squad & every relevant detail about their career path & injury histories than people who had been at the club for years. https://t.co/piauQ4GIqt

Think the Sun are over doing it abit now.