Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
RobG

Re: Unai Emery

Post by RobG »

Sean wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:42 pm
Thank fuck for that 8)

I had totally resigned myself to more years of mediocrity under yes man Arteta (I even pre-written a post to be submitted on his appointment), essentially being 'TOF part 2'. Thankfully, some posters were right that Arteta was used as a stalking horse while we got the real successor. Nice trolling, Ivan. Emery was a little out of left field, but just as well he had become available. I'd have taken Ancelotti, Conte, or Allegri. Thankfully, we have a new brush to sweep clean the last decade of wilful underachievement, with no puppet successor.

I've now gone from being not interested in watching any live games before the FA Cup third round, to being interested on day one of the league. This summer will be exciting. We start in the Europa group stages, so I hope we win that to prove that the previous manager was indeed a total failure in Europe. Emery has won three Europa Leagues, as well as the French league, national cup and league cup. Thank God the TOF nightmare is finally over!

ARSENAL! ARSENAL! ARSENAL! :barscarf:

:barscarf: :barscarf:

If they definitely confirm it, I will be very happy. Nothing against Arteta and I would have backed him all the way. But it would have been a heck of a risk with someone who has never managed before.

This guy's track record is very decent.

If it is him - WELCOME :ladida: :winner: :db10_1:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 pm
Pleased if it comes to pass, PSG was not a barometer. Domestically no challenge means its tough in Europe when you do face decent sides, as such i'm not going to hold PSG time against him.

No hes not a top top tier manager/name, but we are not currently going to get one of them...and lets not forget PSG, who are now one of the biggest in Europe trusted him. hes definitely in the 2nd tier of top managers, has good experience and record in Spain. infinitely better choice than the simply mental one of arteta. of the others rumored, id have emery over all bar allegri, conte and ancellotti, rather have emery than pv4.

just had a look at Ornsteins twittter tweet, and what i don't get is all the mouth breathers unhappy about this that we're not getting arteta (hopefully as its not confirmed). these folks truly are the pricks who have facilitated years of wenger and see no wrong in a weak captain of his with 0 qualifications or attributes for the job, being appointed. i hate those 'fans' with a passion.
For the life of me I can't understand whatsofuckingever. There are actually people legitimately disappointed we're getting a manager with actual experience over a glorified iPad merchant in Arteta. The likes of John Cross and Le Grove are completely slating the board for this.

:banghead:
Utter cretins. I can only hope that now the slate is being wiped clean and all traces of Wenger hopefully being removed, they fuck off and leave us to support The Arsenal and the new man.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I'm fairly happy with this. A proper manager who looks the part. Best of luck, old chap.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Supagoon wrote:

I know Emery, I know he ultimately failed at PSG. But I look at his work at Sevilla and see a manager who used what little he had, and made them a strong outfit that could win trophies.
he also managed Valencia for 4 years. he had three 3rd place finishes in that time - behind RM and Barca, 3 ECL qualifications.

He left Valencia because the Board sold David Villa and David Silva from underneath him before the start of the 2010 season.

as a player he spent 14 years playing in the Segunda, as a DM.

he plays a 4-3-3.

the more I read about this guy the more I likes him.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

People obsessively ranking Arteta above Emery just shows how deep the Arsene FC cult runs. People just desperate to keep some kind of ‘legacy’ going. Not realising that the cord needed to be cut long ago.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Happy with that :barscarf:

I did ask the question a few weeks ago about why he wasn't being linked to us when he was clearly leaving PSG, but glad Ivan saw my post and acted swiftly 8)

A manager with good experience and a decent track record... especially in the UEFA cup :-P

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

PSG are the French Rangers - no competition domestically.

no matter how much dosh they spend, the lack of competitive games doesn't prepare them well for Europe.

Likewise Monaco when they were throwing the cash around. France's Celtic if you like.

please let this be true.

I might even come over and go to an away game :lol:

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:52 pm
Supagoon wrote:

I know Emery, I know he ultimately failed at PSG. But I look at his work at Sevilla and see a manager who used what little he had, and made them a strong outfit that could win trophies.
he also managed Valencia for 4 years. he had three 3rd place finishes in that time - behind RM and Barca, 3 ECL qualifications.

He left Valencia because the Board sold David Villa and David Silva from underneath him before the start of the 2010 season.

as a player he spent 14 years playing in the Segunda, as a DM.

he plays a 4-3-3.

the more I read about this guy the more I likes him.
Yeah I forgot he was at Valencia.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

UNAI :barscarf: :barscarf:

mate. a proper manager, not a coach, a fucking manager who has won THREE european trophies. that's a fucking manager 8)

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 pm
Pleased if it comes to pass, PSG was not a barometer. Domestically no challenge means its tough in Europe when you do face decent sides, as such i'm not going to hold PSG time against him.

No hes not a top top tier manager/name, but we are not currently going to get one of them...and lets not forget PSG, who are now one of the biggest in Europe trusted him. hes definitely in the 2nd tier of top managers, has good experience and record in Spain. infinitely better choice than the simply mental one of arteta. of the others rumored, id have emery over all bar allegri, conte and ancellotti, rather have emery than pv4.

just had a look at Ornsteins twittter tweet, and what i don't get is all the mouth breathers unhappy about this that we're not getting arteta (hopefully as its not confirmed). these folks truly are the pricks who have facilitated years of wenger and see no wrong in a weak captain of his with 0 qualifications or attributes for the job, being appointed. i hate those 'fans' with a passion.
For the life of me I can't understand whatsofuckingever. There are actually people legitimately disappointed we're getting a manager with actual experience over a glorified iPad merchant in Arteta. The likes of John Cross and Le Grove are completely slating the board for this.

:banghead:
Utter cretins. I can only hope that now the slate is being wiped clean and all traces of Wenger hopefully being removed, they fuck off and leave us to support The Arsenal and the new man.
just had a look at john cross twitter. what a complete and utter *word censored*. the defintion of the word should be his mug shot in the OED, complete spacktard. seriously the cult of wenger. was john cross an arsenal man before wenger does anyone know? what a utter prick. like to smash his face in tbh.

Block93

Post by Block93 »

My 250-1 on an Allardyce/Pardew ‘dream team’ is now looking decidedly iffy...

☹️

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 pm
he wasn't even listed on the poll for next manager thread :shock:

anyway, welcome to The Arsenal, Dick
Apparently he was 66/1 a week ago :shock:
I got 11/4 this morning :D

RobG

Post by RobG »

Block93 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 pm
My 250-1 on an Allardyce/Pardew ‘dream team’ is now looking decidedly iffy...

☹️

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I've heard some negativity already about Emery being an underwhelming appointment. Looking at his record with Valencia and Sevilla he looks like he is just what we need at this time. Managed to get both teams back into champions league via league position or winning the Europa league.
Won all he could with PSG domestically. I wouldn't base his qualities on one or two matches in CL.
Let's see how it works. We wanted change, we got it.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

He is supposed to be good at organising teams - imagine that, actually having an organised defence :shock: