Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Unai Emery

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:37 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:44 am
Described somewhere else as our "David Moyes, Sevilla about his level"
Seville have been a level above us for the last 4 seasons, due to the work Emery did there. Maybe give the guy time and stop behaving like a Newcastle supporter.
Ifyou paid attention, I posted something that someone else quoted on another forum, they aren't my words, but thanks for your interest in my affairs.

I knew that you didn't post it mc cos the bastion of journalism that is the sun newspaper, were running that story online yesterday :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Now Augie I don't read the sun, I read it on my favourite social media outlet the ever reliable twitter :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:46 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:03 pm
The last few posters (Steveo, Jock, Leftfoot and Augie) all make some very valid points, albeit often in contradiction. That, I think, shows just how bad the mess is that we're in. There are no easy answers and certainly no guarantees, regardless of whether it's Emery or anyone else doing the job, given our piss poor squad, lack of money to spend and most of all, our parasitic owner.

We'll never know whether Wenger would have done a better job this season, but I see no reason to imagine he would have. I see plenty of evidence that he would have continued to take us backwards and certainly that our flakey, overpaid and limited ability squad, is very much his. As Steveo says, some of the additions have improved us, or at least look more promising than what we have / had. Frankly, I won't waste any time thinking about what the French nutter might have done, because it was imperative that he left, no matter who came in and how bad it might get. He was killing our Club from the inside, an insidious disease, that was eating away more with each passing year. He had to go to begin the curing process, although Kroenke sits above it all as the truly terminal illness.

For what it's worth, I was underwhelmed by Emery's appointment and have been equally underwhelmed by his first season. Two months ago I'd have given him the second year without question and although I still believe he needs that chance, these final few weeks have raised serious concerns for me. I've made the point elsewhere, but given the same squad, I'd expect every manager to achieve different levels of success with them....that's the art of management. We got used to Wenger giving us teams that were less than the sum of their parts, whereas better managers achieve the exact opposite. So, after a full season at the helm, I'd have expected Dick to have the team better organised, more resolute defensively, more motivated and giving 100% every time they take to the pitch. I don't expect him to get our average (at best) lot playing like Messi and Ronaldo, but I do expect him to demand commitment and effort. In all those respects, they look no different to a Wenger team.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is his poor command of English. I can barely follow what he's talking about when he's interviewed and as English is a second language for almost all of our squad, they must have absolutely no clue what he's on about when he's talking to them. How can he organise and motivate when no one understands a word he's saying ? Not saying that's the whole problem or that it can't be overcome, but it certainly won't be helping.

Anyway, one more season, but I'll be expecting some of the basics to be improving straight away. Oh and his attachment to Xhaka makes me queston his judgement more than anything else. All of us on here will have differing opinions about footballing matters, but this place seems totally united in understanding that Xhaka is a complete and utter liability....totally fucking useless. Lord above knows what Dick is seeing that no one else can see. Worrying.
You're on top form this week Retro. Another great post. And that is a very good point about Emery's poor English. I cant understand him either and I do often wonder how some managers get their message across.

As for the Wenger thing ... I liken the way our club was run over the past 10-12 seasons under him to an old man who neglected the work that needed doing in his house. As the years go by things got worse and worse but the problems were not addressed. Then the old man died but by that time it was too late and the place was derelict. Emery might not be the right choice to renovate the place and maybe with the limited budget the job is beyond him. Or maybe some things have improved but we've not noticed them yet because our attention is still on the big hole in the roof? But make no mistake ... old man Wenger is still the man responsible for the state the place is in and under him things would only have got worse.

Interesting analogy there :lol:

In that case can I chip in that the senile old git also spent his kids' inheritance and pissed away the house's restoration fund too before he died - the miserable old fucker :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 am
Clash wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
The last few posters (Steveo, Jock, Leftfoot and Augie) all make some very valid points, albeit often in contradiction. That, I think, shows just how bad the mess is that we're in. There are no easy answers and certainly no guarantees, regardless of whether it's Emery or anyone else doing the job, given our piss poor squad, lack of money to spend and most of all, our parasitic owner.

We'll never know whether Wenger would have done a better job this season, but I see no reason to imagine he would have. I see plenty of evidence that he would have continued to take us backwards and certainly that our flakey, overpaid and limited ability squad, is very much his. As Steveo says, some of the additions have improved us, or at least look more promising than what we have / had. Frankly, I won't waste any time thinking about what the French nutter might have done, because it was imperative that he left, no matter who came in and how bad it might get. He was killing our Club from the inside, an insidious disease, that was eating away more with each passing year. He had to go to begin the curing process, although Kroenke sits above it all as the truly terminal illness.

For what it's worth, I was underwhelmed by Emery's appointment and have been equally underwhelmed by his first season. Two months ago I'd have given him the second year without question and although I still believe he needs that chance, these final few weeks have raised serious concerns for me. I've made the point elsewhere, but given the same squad, I'd expect every manager to achieve different levels of success with them....that's the art of management. We got used to Wenger giving us teams that were less than the sum of their parts, whereas better managers achieve the exact opposite. So, after a full season at the helm, I'd have expected Dick to have the team better organised, more resolute defensively, more motivated and giving 100% every time they take to the pitch. I don't expect him to get our average (at best) lot playing like Messi and Ronaldo, but I do expect him to demand commitment and effort. In all those respects, they look no different to a Wenger team.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is his poor command of English. I can barely follow what he's talking about when he's interviewed and as English is a second language for almost all of our squad, they must have absolutely no clue what he's on about when he's talking to them. How can he organise and motivate when no one understands a word he's saying ? Not saying that's the whole problem or that it can't be overcome, but it certainly won't be helping.

Anyway, one more season, but I'll be expecting some of the basics to be improving straight away. Oh and his attachment to Xhaka makes me queston his judgement more than anything else. All of us on here will have differing opinions about footballing matters, but this place seems totally united in understanding that Xhaka is a complete and utter liability....totally fucking useless. Lord above knows what Dick is seeing that no one else can see. Worrying.
You're on top form this week Retro. Another great post. And that is a very good point about Emery's poor English. I cant understand him either and I do often wonder how some managers get their message across.

As for the Wenger thing ... I liken the way our club was run over the past 10-12 seasons under him to an old man who neglected the work that needed doing in his house. As the years go by things got worse and worse but the problems were not addressed. Then the old man died but by that time it was too late and the place was derelict. Emery might not be the right choice to renovate the place and maybe with the limited budget the job is beyond him. Or maybe some things have improved but we've not noticed them yet because our attention is still on the big hole in the roof? But make no mistake ... old man Wenger is still the man responsible for the state the place is in and under him things would only have got worse.

In that case can I chip in that the senile old git also spent his kids' inheritance and pissed away the house's restoration fund too before he died - the miserable old fucker :roll:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 am
Clash wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Yes Jock, a very good analogy from Clash. The nasty American freeholder, awarded the repair and refurbishment job to a Spaniard called Dick.

Trouble is, the only tools dug out of the rot ridden shed, for Dick to use, were a rusty, toothless old saw, a bent screwdriver and a glass hammer. Lurking in the far corner of the decaying garage, was a battered old paint pot, with the word “Xhaka” scrawled on it. With much effort and using the bent screwdriver Dick managed to prise the corroded lid off, to find it was only a quarter full and that one of those nasty, oily, yellowish skins had formed on top. Strangely, Dick fell in love with it !

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

The myth exposed , the truth laid bare!

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:07 am
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:51 pm
Anybody who thinks this guy is the answer knows absolutely nothing about football.

And please don't start spouting fuckin stats about us being a place higher and a couple more fuckin points (as the regular post mover did on a reply to one of my posts, the same guy who dismisses stats :roll: ) better off.
Haha not sure who rattled your fucking cage but I'm assuming you are referring to me?

A couple of facts here Lefty (or Talks With Shit In Mouth, to give you your Native American name :wink: ), I can't find anywhere on this thread where I responded to you with stats. All I can find is this post which was standalone and not a response to anyone:
For me we have improved under Dick. The numbers are 7 points better off and one place higher in the league and getting past the Europa semifinal to the actual final.

But it's more than that. Despite our defensive frailties and still dodgy away form we have improved slightly in both of those areas.

Hopefully Dick can bring in a couple of his own players this summer and offload a couple of the Wenger hanger-ons.

Make no mistake it will take a few years to rebuild the shitfest Wenger and the Lizard left behind.
Now my tubby little Ewok mate if you learn to read your own fucking mother tongue you will come across a concept called inference. Then read my post again. I'm saying that the stats alone can't be used to defend him. I'm saying there is more to it than that.

In future I'll dumb my posts down for you ok? :D :wink:

We should never have given you fucking dwarves the right to vote tbh. :banghead: :lol:
Oi midget I'm not referring to you so get back in your bird box, you little fuckers really are paranoid :roll:

Oh and by the way anyone who continually backs ozil would definitely be referred to by native Americans as "boy sized man who talks like squaw " :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:09 pm
How helpful - another article that says how much better we might have been/would have been if we'd appointed Klopp. The standard answer from an Emery out person when you ask them who you would appoint instead.

"We could have had Pep or Klopp"

Yep...and that helps us how exactly ?

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:47 am
goonersid wrote:
How helpful - another article that says how much better we might have been/would have been if we'd appointed Klopp. The standard answer from an Emery out person when you ask them who you would appoint instead.

people seem to forget that Klopp has been financially back and has spent a bucket load of money

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

people seem to forget that Klopp has been financially back and has spent a bucket load of money
And despite that financial backing also forget the one stat that matters most - number of trophies won

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:06 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

And despite that financial backing also forget the one stat that matters most - number of trophies won
Bollocks! It’s not saying we could have had klopp or pep, but it is comparing where the mousers and citeh were after 1 season of their appointment and how these 2 managers had imposed their style of play on their squads which they largely inherited and in the mousers case a poor squad at that!
Whereas Emery, sold to us as a master tactician and coach ! Has changed absolutely FUCK ALL!
I didnt expect to challenge for the title nor did I expect miracles! But I did expect some kind of change!
The guy is a fucking dogshit fraud !

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:39 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

Bollocks! It’s not saying we could have had klopp or pep, but it is comparing where the mousers and citeh were after 1 season of their appointment and how these 2 managers had imposed their style of play on their squads which they largely inherited and in the mousers case a poor squad at that!
Whereas Emery, sold to us as a master tactician and coach ! Has changed absolutely FUCK ALL!
I didnt expect to challenge for the title nor did I expect miracles! But I did expect some kind of change!
So....back to the drawing board we go. Same question as before - who do you want to replace him then to drive this massive improvement you're after?

Everyone shouted down Mikel Arteta and Brendan Rodgers as options when they were being touted. The modern day football snobs laughed in my face when I suggested that the likes of Sean Dyche would immediately instil a "tough to beat" mentality. So I presume there's a genius out there somewhere (probably Dortmund as everyone immediately tugs themselves off over a coach who once worked for Dortmund) waiting in the wings?

How about Tuchel? Everyone pulled themselves bandy over him. Emery was sacked after winning the treble in France - apparently that was easy and a top coach was needed to win the CL. Well that dry lunch Tuchel has managed neither of those things this year!

Still waiting for a single credible suggestion

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

So....back to the drawing board we go. Same question as before - who do you want to replace him then to drive this massive improvement you're after?

Everyone shouted down Mikel Arteta and Brendan Rodgers as options when they were being touted. The modern day football snobs laughed in my face when I suggested that the likes of Sean Dyche would immediately instil a "tough to beat" mentality. So I presume there's a genius out there somewhere (probably Dortmund as everyone immediately tugs themselves off over a coach who once worked for Dortmund) waiting in the wings?

How about Tuchel? Everyone pulled themselves bandy over him. Emery was sacked after winning the treble in France - apparently that was easy and a top coach was needed to win the CL. Well that dry lunch Tuchel has managed neither of those things this year!

So we stick with Emery because the options youve mentioned might not do any better? Thats what akbs used to spout when we called for wenger to go!
As I posted somewhere, I would approach Benitez and despite Augie thinking he wouldnt be interested, I think he’d be in the car in 2 minutes and on his way
Also who said anything about “massive improvement”

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:21 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:14 am
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

So we stick with Emery because the options youve mentioned might not do any better? Thats what akbs used to spout when we called for wenger to go!
As I posted somewhere, I would approach Benitez and despite Augie thinking he wouldnt be interested, I think he’d be in the car in 2 minutes and on his way
Also who said anything about “massive improvement”
So, exactly as I suspected. Lots to say about what you don't want and still not a credible suggestion at all.

Rafa Benitez? This is Rafa Benitez who is at Newcastle, who are about to be taken over by relatives of Sheikh Mansoor and probably about to financially pimp the next PL club and be given about £300m to spend in the Summer. I can really see him staying for the Mike Ashley years and then leaving when that takeover goes through......to work for a wig wearing prick who will give him £40m and demand he cuts the wage bill in half.

Honestly Sid you must be living in a fucking cave. Do you honestly think an absolutely top level international manager is going to want to take this job right now? It will need to be a gamble on someone from a smaller club and without Benitez's track record.