Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BFG4

Re: Unai Emery

Post by BFG4 »

Good post Augie but there are a few things i disagree with. Firstly, i didn't expect us to finish 4th but i would argue that finishing 5th/6th is standing still, as it shows little improvement from last season. Also, the idea that he has drastically inproved things is based on our home form, but we were excellent at home under Wenger. Even in recent years, we stuffed both Chelsea and United and beat Liverpool, while getting a draw against a City side usually running away with the title. Away from home is the big test, and that has been an unmitigated disaster, again this season we have been tactically inept and have shit ourselves at the slightest sign of trouble. Again, with an entire summer to change things, he may turn it round but I'm not giving credit for winning the games we expect to win, when any slightly difficult game, we shit the bed.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

I would say we have been better in the bigger games away aside from Liverpool, I don't think we got blown away in the same was as we did under wenger, we also sorted out the away mess of of the Europa tie when we were 3-1 down something Wenger would probably not have done.

I think our defence is shit and needs to be fixed in general which requires getting one or two more first choice defenders in then our away form may improve, we are still shit in defence at home we just score alot more and attack better, being stronger at the back should bring us more 0-1 and 0-2 wins away.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Emery has done well. Were still with Chelsea & United in needing to sort ourselves out. Liverpool and City are in the advanced stages of Pep and Klopps plans and are easily two best teams in the league. Chelsea will again sack a manager and I wonder if Ole is the real deal at Man United. Emery should be given at least next season before expectation of mounting a serious league challenge the year after next. But in the mean time we can be competitive and threaten in the cups. We have a more than good chance of winning the Europea league this year - I believe we are the best team left in the competition along with Chelsea.

Keeping hold of key players and replacing the slackers is key. I think we need a top wide player, another centre half and a back up to Cech. Sort out Ozil as well, either fix him or fuck him off. Ramsey leaving is bad. The irony is we actually need some attacking midfielders to play down the middle and on the flanks.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I'm sad he didn't stab Deeney with a Zombie knife. No cojones ! Get him out of the club ! :wink: :D
Deeney has announced that his eagerly awaited cage fight for the Eric Cantona trophy against Joey Barton will take place at Madison Square Garden in July.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Gary Neville made the point the other night that Emery has done well given our players relative to Chelsea and United. Pretty fair assessment. We dont have a 'star'player since Sanchez left and Ozil's decline. We dont have a jewel in the crown that Barcelona or Real Madrid would want. Chelsea have Hazard, United have Pogba and De Gea. We have had these players before under Wenger post 2005 - Henry, Fabregas, Van Persie, Sanchez and faired no better

Although in saying that, its harsh on Aubameyang who could easily finish the season as top scorer. But even still, Neville has a point that Emery has gotten mileage out of this squad where Mourinho failed at United and Sarri at Chelsea.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I said this in another thread, but he needs to be backed to ship out some players and bring in his players. There are too many high earners who have limited sort of roles in the team. We play in a physical league, but we don't have physical players - we need them. We need speed and strength. However, I am not saying overly physical, but rather ones who can take the whacks, dust themselves off and go again. We don't have them at the moment.

Ultimately, it is a miracle that Emery is where he is with the tools at his disposal. He is certainly deserving of another season as he has exceeded my expectations.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Gary Neville made the point the other night that Emery has done well given our players relative to Chelsea and United. Pretty fair assessment. We dont have a 'star'player since Sanchez left and Ozil's decline. We dont have a jewel in the crown that Barcelona or Real Madrid would want. Chelsea have Hazard, United have Pogba and De Gea. We have had these players before under Wenger post 2005 - Henry, Fabregas, Van Persie, Sanchez and faired no better

Although in saying that, its harsh on Aubameyang who could easily finish the season as top scorer. But even still, Neville has a point that Emery has gotten mileage out of this squad where Mourinho failed at United and Sarri at Chelsea.

if we finish top 4 and win the Europea League, thats a tenfold to what I expected at the start of the season.

Emery is a great manager who flys under the radar

augie

Post by augie »

begeegs wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:26 am
I said this in another thread, but he needs to be backed to ship out some players and bring in his players. There are too many high earners who have limited sort of roles in the team. We play in a physical league, but we don't have physical players - we need them. We need speed and strength. However, I am not saying overly physical, but rather ones who can take the whacks, dust themselves off and go again. We don't have them at the moment.

Ultimately, it is a miracle that Emery is where he is with the tools at his disposal. He is certainly deserving of another season as he has exceeded my expectations.

That WAS my feeling too, but tbh a lot of the comments on here tell me that he wont be afforded the time to fix things properly, and will be expected to "patch up" and remain competitive now rather than plan for the longer term

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Apart from the shit shows at Everton and Watford (still won) I've been impressed with his recent work.

Is there any one apart from Sid who still wants him to fuck off at the end of the season?

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Unai has won more games in his first 50 in charge than Arsene Wenger, George Graham and Herbert Chapman.

In Unai I trust. He has made some mistakes but overall, very happy with his appointment.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:45 am
Unai has won more games in his first 50 in charge than Arsene Wenger, George Graham and Herbert Chapman.

In Unai I trust. He has made some mistakes but overall, very happy with his appointment.
yeah i saw that Graphic on the BBC website - 32 wins for Dick, 27 for GG and 23 for the ex-manager.

just think about that for a minute - the ex-managers team had Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Keown, Adams, Bould, Parlour, Wrighty and Bergkamp. not to mention Platt and Anelka.

yet Dick with this motley lot - probably only Laca is truly world class - he has won NINE more games.

that tells you that winning 68% of our games comes from hard work, preparation, discipline and organization.

I'm also very happy that finally the defence is clicking as a unit - since the Rennes debacle, we have conceded one goal in seven games.

augie

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:56 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:45 am

yeah i saw that Graphic on the BBC website - 32 wins for Dick, 27 for GG and 23 for the ex-manager.

just think about that for a minute - the ex-managers team had Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Keown, Adams, Bould, Parlour, Wrighty and Bergkamp. not to mention Platt and Anelka.

yet Dick with this motley lot - probably only Laca is truly world class - he has won NINE more games.

that tells you that winning 68% of our games comes from hard work, preparation, discipline and organization.

I'm also very happy that finally the defence is clicking as a unit - since the Rennes debacle, we have conceded one goal in seven games.

Last night was the first time since he arrived that I agreed 100% with his starting team and formation before the game - it was a pragmatic horses for courses selection that he has attempted a few times previously (with varying success), but last night was the first time he showed a realization that mustafi and lard arse are liabilities on the big occasion and have no business being there 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Fuck off dick, you're a prick

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Jury's out you greasy haired tool :evil:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Poor team selection yesterday..Mystify and elnanny should never be near a squad never mind starting..it came back to bite him on the arse.