Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bob Bayliss

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:28 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:21 am
I think Emery has to be given this season and probably next to turn us into genuine title contenders. The stench of Wenger's grotesque mis-management of the last decade cannot be eradicated overnight. Too many of his failures are still at the club: those lacking talent such as Mustafi and Iwobi, and those expecting to coast on a grotesque wage (mention no name). They all have to be shipped out. Unfortunately we're losing Ramsey on a free, one of the few Wenger players who generally delivered, especially on the big stage.

That isn't to say that I am sure Dick is going to work out: far from it. The early evidence is mixed. On the one hand, there have been some more encouraging displays in the League this season: both matches against Spurs and at home to Chelsea along with the usual flat-track bullying. He often makes intelligent substitutions. But yet, but yet.....I am not sure that he has enough acumen when it comes to producing teams who can defend. While most of the players he has to work with are Wenger's legacy, I'm not convinced that he's going to recruit the calibre that we require. His cv doesn't suggest that it's his strength. And then there's Steve Bould. While his coaching abilities were never really given a fair test on the assumption he wasn't allowed to do anything except put the cones out under the autocratic Wenger, there is no evidence that they are any more effective under this guy.
he is doing a great job but he won't turn us into title contenders.
to have that you need to have real ambition at the club - Kroenke has stated many times he is not here to win the PL.

it is remarkable that people STILL seem to think this is the aim of the club. It used to be yes but not now.
I'm not for one moment defending Kronke: he is the worst of all worlds. A foreign owner who isn't prepared to give us serious funds to invest on players. It's certainly easy to infer from his approach that he isn't concerned with winning titles, but he hasn't explicitly said that. In fact, when Emery was appointed he went on record as saying he expected us to be in contention for both the Premier League and Champions' League in the long-term. You might argue his actions don't back up his words: I would agree. But it's only fair not to misquote him
https://www.90min.com/posts/6160470-ars ... unai-emery

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SPARKSY wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:44 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 am
Strange in match decisions today. Substitutions didn't work at all. mikhi at rb was an obvious fawed decision. A LB for a striker when we need another goal. We ended the game with an invisible number 9, 10 and 11. We bossed that game for 40 mins and somehow let it fall apart. Whilst the players didn't cover themselves with any pride, for the first this season the manager made a proper ricket of the second half.
I was saying today that emery was criticised as a failure at psg for not getting past last 16, yet tuchel did the same from a much stronger position. I still believe emery is a top coach, but the decisions he made today were all very wrong.
But at least he is trying different things. We all complained over the last few seasons about how Wenger did the same thing every game, win or lose, even the 70 min subs.
Yet here we have a manager who always tries something different, sometimes they work, sometimes not, but at least he's doing it.
It's good that he's trying something different and by and large I'm on board with how he has gone about things. However, when he gets its wrong, there's no harm in pointing it out, and because he mostly makes goo in-match decisions, when it doesn't work it stands out like a sore thumb. I think he would've had a sleepless night. Rennes played a similar game to united did against in the fa cup, and hopefully Emery would make a note that monreal, mustafi will struggle. AMN and Kolasinac will have to start, and I'd go with Ramsey in place of Torrerira and Ozil. Suarez has to start and won't be phased by united.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:44 pm
SPARKSY wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:44 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 am
Strange in match decisions today. Substitutions didn't work at all. mikhi at rb was an obvious fawed decision. A LB for a striker when we need another goal. We ended the game with an invisible number 9, 10 and 11. We bossed that game for 40 mins and somehow let it fall apart. Whilst the players didn't cover themselves with any pride, for the first this season the manager made a proper ricket of the second half.
I was saying today that emery was criticised as a failure at psg for not getting past last 16, yet tuchel did the same from a much stronger position. I still believe emery is a top coach, but the decisions he made today were all very wrong.
But at least he is trying different things. We all complained over the last few seasons about how Wenger did the same thing every game, win or lose, even the 70 min subs.
Yet here we have a manager who always tries something different, sometimes they work, sometimes not, but at least he's doing it.
It's good that he's trying something different and by and large I'm on board with how he has gone about things. However, when he gets its wrong, there's no harm in pointing it out, and because he mostly makes goo in-match decisions, when it doesn't work it stands out like a sore thumb. I think he would've had a sleepless night. Rennes played a similar game to united did against in the fa cup, and hopefully Emery would make a note that monreal, mustafi will struggle. AMN and Kolasinac will have to start, and I'd go with Ramsey in place of Torrerira and Ozil. Suarez has to start and won't be phased by united.
Jesus mate have you watched Suarez play? He's absolutely useless. Hes had a couple of run outs and looked lost and out of his depth in every one of them. And you want to throw him on against a yanited team full of confidence? The mind boggles. :|

Herd

Post by Herd »

The thing I'm worried about most with Dick is the possibility that Ozil might be stirring up trouble for him with our oh so gullible squad !
The body language of some of them recently has been awful especially Auba !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:32 pm
The thing I'm worried about most with Dick is the possibility that Ozil might be stirring up trouble for him with our oh so gullible squad !
Can you stop posting this completely made up bullshit please? There are people on here fucking stupid enough to believe you! :lol: :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Turning us into title challengers after this season or next? Jesus wept.

90+ points is what’s needed in this day and age, with 5 other very good teams in the league. Turning us into top 4 competitors in two seasons and the dross and budget he was left with would have been hard work, we can forget challenging for the title until and unless we start chucking around serious money for three or four windows.

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

"Kroenke has stated many times he is not here to win the PL."

Really Rob?
How many times has wiggy stated that?
Of course he is not investing to win the PL.
But, just like your posts about Brexit, you're making it up as you go.

Herd

Post by Herd »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Herd wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:32 pm
Can you stop posting this completely made up bullshit please? There are people on here fucking stupid enough to believe you! :lol: :wink:
Ok Nut Flush !

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Its in our hands to finish top four now.

Unlucky not to beat the chavs and vermin this year as well.

He is exceeding my expectations despite some odd decisions.

augie

Post by augie »

Have to say this about dick, he sure aint afraid to change formation/tactics and line-up from one game to the next - 4 changes to today's starting line-up plus a change in formation, shows a versatility and flexibility that we haven't shown previously, and it surely makes it harder for opposition managers to plan for facing us.
Of course where it might become a negative is if he gets into a mentality where he changes it up too often, or tries to appear too clever

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:13 pm
Have to say this about dick, he sure aint afraid to change formation/tactics and line-up from one game to the next - 4 changes to today's starting line-up plus a change in formation, shows a versatility and flexibility that we haven't shown previously, and it surely makes it harder for opposition managers to plan for facing us.
Of course where it might become a negative is if he gets into a mentality where he changes it up too often, or tries to appear too clever
Yeah, tactically he had the measure of ogs today first 30.

From what I remember of Sevilla he was very much a take it to them, kind of manager.

We absolutely have to do that again on Thursday.

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

HERE'S THE TOP 6 TABLE RESULTS - 10 MATCHES

First last SEASONS results to compare

now this season

PROGRESS!!!

CHEERS! :db10_2: :crest:
Last edited by Zanatos3 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

(AGAINST THE TOP 6 IN THE EPL)

Just a little bit LESS goals conceded [ 19 to last years 21 _ 3 less goals ]

but we have scored more [16 goals to last years 10]

so Concession was nearly consistent, we must improve DEFENSIVELY in the Summer.

hope we do_ on to the next match Thur #COYG

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Last year we had 63 points all season. We are currently on 60 points with 8 games left, none of which are against the top 6.

Now that we can regularly field Monreal Sokratis and Koscielny (and anybody other than Lichtsteiner) then we are looking much more robust at the back. Still not fantastic and very patchy, but much better especially when we can get away without Mustafi, Lichtsteiner and Kolasinac playing at the back and having injuries every game.

Given the money we had to spend in the summer, I think he has done a very good job

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

10th March 2019 - Played 30, Points 60, Goal Diff + 24, League Position 4th, 1 point behind 3rd
10th March 2018 - Played 29, Points 45 Goal Diff +11, League Position 6th, 13 points behind 4th

Still - lets sack the 'clueless Spanish waiter' shall we? :banghead:

Keep it up Dickie Boy - make top four with Wenger's wasters and a small number of car boot sale additions in the Summer and a loanee in January and this will be a minor miracle

If Shit for Brains had stayed we'd be looking over our shoulders at Wolves and probably trying to sign a winger for £50m