Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Unai Emery

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 pm
Haven't seen it mentioned on this forum that Emery is sacking Burgess the head of performance after the cliff dropping end of the season performance of the team. Was he the same guy that Keown was slamming for taking over pre-match team talks in the last few games of the season?

The way we ended the season was very unlike Arsenal even under Wenger the team managed to pull together a few winning results that saw us over the line for the top 4 and win the cup in the last month of the season. I'm pleased that Emery has recognised that maybe the team around him needs a bit more of a shake up. Bould swapping for Freddie and the head of team performance being held to account. Noticeable that since Burgess joined we've failed to qualify for top 4.
I very much doubt if that decision is down to Emery - he is the first team coach (manager) not involved in every little detail of the club unlike the previous incumbent.
Director of high performance is what - fitness / diet ?
Maybe the squad’s fitness levels dropped significantly towards the latter end of the campaign ?
In several games they looked like they were running through treacle, was that down to Burgess ? Forsyth ? Emery ?

It was Gazidis that appointed him, was it necessary, or just a way to get some of Wenker’s entrenched power wrestled away ?
Don’t think he could make Iwobi, Ozil, Mick O’Taryan put a shift in and track back.

Not for or against it,just think the players are more culpable, but it’s a good way of saving a presumable hefty salary each month by not replacing him.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48662806

:barscarf: WE LOVE YOU FREDDIE :barscarf:

:barscarf: BECAUSE YOU'VE GOT NO HAIR :barscarf:

:barscarf: WE LOVE YOU FREDDIE :barscarf:

:barscarf: BECAUSE YOU'RE EVERYWHERE :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Lies in the press today are claiming that Dick has asked the board to go get him Zaha :roll: :lol:

How long before Dick questions the wisdom of his decision to join the Arsenal if he has to operate on a transfer budget of peanuts.

The guy is being asked to work miracles with no money to back him and must be only too aware now that wiggy ain't in it for the glory :rubchin:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:03 pm
Lies in the press today are claiming that Dick has asked the board to go get him Zaha :roll: :lol:

How long before Dick questions the wisdom of his decision to join the Arsenal if he has to operate on a transfer budget of peanuts.

The guy is being asked to work miracles with no money to back him and must be only too aware now that wiggy ain't in it for the glory :rubchin:
Poor Dick :roll:
His failure to capitalise on the spuds annual end of season league collapse, is the reason our budget is so meagre!
A totteringham collapse that should have seen their transfer budget and mortgage repayment plan go up in smoke, a collapse that should have proved catastrophic !
A collapse that I have no doubt, Wenger would have taken advantage of, had he found himself in the same position!
Our collapse however in the league, our Europ lge anihilation along with countless tactical blunders throughout the season, have shown me all I need, in order to confirm, my early season opinion that he is out of his depth in the plge.
The perceived weakness of our squad is irrelevant, when we are talking solely about Emery’s own ability!
As I’ve said before “the most fortuitous unbeaten run in the history of football” prevented Emery from ridicule and a mid table finish!
He is a fucking lightweight!
We should have paid him off and made a move for Benitez!
Oh I forgot “there’s no way he’ll leave Newcastle” :roll:
Wait and see what a fucking mess this clown will have us in by Christmas!

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 pm

A collapse that I have no doubt, Wenger would have taken advantage of, had he found himself in the same position!
You actually made some good points until you got onto the Wenger comedy show, no way would the old tosser have got to a Europa League Final nor caught the Toilet Lids as he was already way off the pace during his last 2 seasons in charge. Too busy losing millions by letting players run down their contracts in collusion with Gazidis & making some cash from player sales for Stan in exchange for his contract extensions. :banghead: Plus also wasting massive cash on player salaries, Wenger has cost the club's budget hundreds of millions with his incompetence. :banghead:

Dick will be out by Xmas if he continues on his downward path so you will get your wish. :barscarf: I don't think the fans will have the patience in that scenario, especially without any major transfer spending. :rubchin:

Very strange how the media transfer stories have suddenly vanished now that the season ticket renewal money is in! :blah:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 pm
goonersid wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:33 pm

You actually made some good points until you got onto the Wenger comedy show, no way would the old tosser have got to a Europa League Final nor caught the Toilet Lids as he was already way off the pace during his last 2 seasons in charge. Too busy losing millions by letting players run down their contracts in collusion with Gazidis & making some cash from player sales for Stan in exchange for his contract extensions. :banghead: Plus also wasting massive cash on player salaries, Wenger has cost the club's budget hundreds of millions with his incompetence. :banghead:

Dick will be out by Xmas if he continues on his downward path so you will get your wish. :barscarf: I don't think the fans will have the patience in that scenario, especially without any major transfer spending. :rubchin:

Very strange how the media transfer stories have suddenly vanished now that the season ticket renewal money is in! :blah:
Al, I have to disagree, I think Wenker would still have had the wherewithal to have successfully negotiated those last 5 or 6 games.
As for the Europa lge final? Wenker made it to the semis, only to lose narrowly to a top European side, had Aubamayeng been available, then I don’t think its beyond the realms of possibility that we might have made it to the final!
I’m not in any way championing Wenker, but merely demonstrating that even with an enhanced squad, Emery is not an improvement on what we were already dissatisfied with.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Fan survey Q/A nos 13 & 14, He's got some credit left but it will start to evaporate pretty soon if he carries on making more mistakes. :barscarf: Until then he's got the supporters on his side for now.

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4802

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:15 pm
Fan survey Q/A nos 13 & 14, He's got some credit left but it will start to evaporate pretty soon if he carries on making more mistakes. :barscarf: Until then he's got the supporters on his side for now.

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4802
The fact that 30% of those who took part , are “quite satisfied” with kroekes tenure, I think renders this poll to be null and void!

augie

Post by augie »

The captain rotation farce from last season was 100% on dick, and it was both bizarre and ridiculous in the extreme - I realise le cock left him a squad devoid of leaders, but ffs pick the two least shit options and appoint them as captain and vice-captain :roll:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... trike.html

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 pm
Haven't seen it mentioned on this forum that Emery is sacking Burgess the head of performance after the cliff dropping end of the season performance of the team. Was he the same guy that Keown was slamming for taking over pre-match team talks in the last few games of the season?
That is interesting.

I read in the Spanish press that Dick said that the players were physically overworked during training in the season and that the lack of depth in the squad meant he had no choice but to play tired players.

This was confirmed by Torreira in a separate interview during the Copa.

That was either Dick or Burgess's fault. i don't think that will be repeated this year.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Rumours abound that Emery will hand the captains armband to Xhaka :lol: Xhaka posing as his “right hand man” yesterday probably the basis of this rumour!
The Dick lovers on here, were all convinced that Xhaka and co were simply being given enough playing time to either prove their worth or otherwise :roll:
Should this become reality, then we can only assume that the clown we now have managing our club, believes that Xhaka has done a sterling job and has shown great leadership qualities :lol:
Then God help us this coming season, it doesn’t matter who we do or don’t sign, because Emery is a fucking idiot!

Clash

Post by Clash »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:11 am
Rumours abound that Emery will hand the captains armband to Xhaka :lol: Xhaka posing as his “right hand man” yesterday probably the basis of this rumour!
The Dick lovers on here, were all convinced that Xhaka and co were simply being given enough playing time to either prove their worth or otherwise :roll:
Should this become reality, then we can only assume that the clown we now have managing our club, believes that Xhaka has done a sterling job and has shown great leadership qualities :lol:
Then God help us this coming season, it doesn’t matter who we do or don’t sign, because Emery is a fucking idiot!
:D Not sure there are actually any Dick lovers on here Sid. There are/were some undecided about Dick who were hopeful rather than convinced he would clear out the likes of Xhaka etc. Unfortunately things are starting to look like you called it right about Emery though. If he rates Xhaka there is no hope :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:03 am
goonersid wrote:
:D Not sure there are actually any Dick lovers on here Sid. There are/were some undecided about Dick who were hopeful rather than convinced he would clear out the likes of Xhaka etc. Unfortunately things are starting to look like you called it right about Emery though. If he rates Xhaka there is no hope :banghead:

Ok, let me play a little game with ye 2 geniuses and see how ye get on answering these questions -

1. In order, list the positions that ye feel need to be upgraded this summer

2. What players would ye buy to upgrade those positions ?

3. How much of answers to the first 2 questions would you expect to be able to fulfill with a transfer budget of £45m ?

You see I can understand why some would slate dick over his failure to tactically shut down games, and I can understand why some would criticize him for our failings in the last 5 games of last season, but to me it is beyond laughable when he gets criticized for not replacing xhaka. Personally I wouldn't want the guy as our captain either,and in an ideal world I would want a better player in my midfield, but anyone who thinks that upgrading him is more important than buying at least 3 defenders and a winger, should be sectioned right here and now :roll: Give dick a proper transfer budget and I doubt if too many of the current team would survive, but ffs there is only so much you can do with a £45m budget :cussing:

For the record too, there is NOBODY that should be shown the door ahead of mustafi and lard arse iwobi and I include xhaka in that

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:39 pm
Clash wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:03 am
goonersid wrote:

Ok, let me play a little game with ye 2 geniuses and see how ye get on answering these questions -

1. In order, list the positions that ye feel need to be upgraded this summer

2. What players would ye buy to upgrade those positions ?

3. How much of answers to the first 2 questions would you expect to be able to fulfill with a transfer budget of £45m ?

You see I can understand why some would slate dick over his failure to tactically shut down games, and I can understand why some would criticize him for our failings in the last 5 games of last season, but to me it is beyond laughable when he gets criticized for not replacing xhaka. Personally I wouldn't want the guy as our captain either,and in an ideal world I would want a better player in my midfield, but anyone who thinks that upgrading him is more important than buying at least 3 defenders and a winger, should be sectioned right here and now :roll: Give dick a proper transfer budget and I doubt if too many of the current team would survive, but ffs there is only so much you can do with a £45m budget :cussing:

For the record too, there is NOBODY that should be shown the door ahead of mustafi and lard arse iwobi and I include xhaka in that

Thing is Augie, it's not an either / or. There was talk about interest in Xhaka from other clubs, some mentioning eye watering fees for the useless oaf. Ok, that may just have been talk, but getting shot of him to anyone, for any amount, would be good business in eyes.....fuck me, I'd give him away for free.

I wouldn't either worry about replacing the clown, because playing with fucking 10 men is a better idea than an 11 that includes him ! I don't see that it affects the 45 million.

A bigger worry and I've said this before, is that Dick clearly rates him. Even when all the midfield options are fit, he's the one that is almost never rotated, unless we have a perceived "easy" game coming up. There is absolutely nothing that shakes my confidence in Emery, more than his clearly high estimation of Xhaka. As bad as Mustafi is, Xhaka is, in my opinion, far and away the worst player at the Club. A total liability.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Lads, augie is a sister marrying swamp donkey so when he uses the word "ye" he means "you".

Just wanted to clear that up. 8)

:D :wink: