Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: Unai Emery

Post by the playing mantis »

Block93 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 pm
Not convinced. This is the guy who set up his PSG team to lose 6-1 at Barcelona when they were 4-0 up from the first leg. We should be knocking on Antonio Conte’s door, he knows how to win leagues and he actually understands how to defend.

Less boring than you might think, was at the recent Chelsea v Liverpool match and Klopp’s probable starting CL side were totally outplayed...

Oh well.
this i all people are holding against him. its bullshgit tbh, one game, for a team that faces no challenge on a weekly basis its incredibly hard to get them setup for europe against tough opponents.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Cant argue with that :barscarf:

Welcome to the Arsenal Mr Emery

augie

Post by augie »

I'm so happy right now that I could cry tears of joy :oops: :oops: I'm not claiming for one second that emery was my first choice, but arteta was probably my last choice, so I am delighted that has fallen through :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

the playing mantis wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:19 pm
Block93 wrote:
Not convinced. This is the guy who set up his PSG team to lose 6-1 at Barcelona when they were 4-0 up from the first leg. We should be knocking on Antonio Conte’s door, he knows how to win leagues and he actually understands how to defend.

Less boring than you might think, was at the recent Chelsea v Liverpool match and Klopp’s probable starting CL side were totally outplayed...

Oh well.
this i all people are holding against him. its bullshgit tbh, one game, for a team that faces no challenge on a weekly basis its incredibly hard to get them setup for europe against tough opponents.
Also, Wenger would have lost BOTH games 6-1, so at least there's hope of beating top sides again with scores like 4-0 versus Barca.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

This is looking a whole lot better now.

SSN reporting Arteta has withdrawn from the process :barscarf: :barscarf:

Block93

Post by Block93 »

silus wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:15 pm
Block93 wrote:

Oh well.
I knew someone would come up with the Barca game...im sure it was "special circumstances" mate :wink:
I had a decent spread bet on Barcelona to get through that night so if anything I should be grateful to the guy, but it meant I was watching his defensive set-up quite closely!!

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

he wasn't even listed on the poll for next manager thread :shock:

anyway, welcome to The Arsenal, Dick

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

If it goes through I think this would be a good appointment. A million miles better than Arteta (which never made sense to me) at any rate.

Not a spectacular coup like a Simeone or an Allegri, but we were never going to offfer the resources to attract them. Has managed three fairly decent clubs with differing resources and expectations, and has generally done a good job.

I know the Barcelona game is one people keep going on about, but you don’t win three Europa Leagues in a row if you’re not tactically savvy. I remember that Sevilla team dismantling Liverpool in 2016. His PSG side was talented but unbalanced, which generally represents PSG as a club.

Think the fans (myself included) would really get behind him.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

northbank123 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:31 pm
If it goes through I think this would be a good appointment. A million miles better than Arteta (which never made sense to me) at any rate.

Not a spectacular coup like a Simeone or an Allegri, but we were never going to offfer the resources to attract them. Has managed three fairly decent clubs with differing resources and expectations, and has generally done a good job.

I know the Barcelona game is one people keep going on about, but you don’t win three Europa Leagues in a row if you’re not tactically savvy. I remember that Sevilla team dismantling Liverpool in 2016. His PSG side was talented but unbalanced, which generally represents PSG as a club.

Think the fans (myself included) would really get behind him.
yep agreed, although given the number of mouth breather on twitter against it and distraught that its not arteta i have my doubts. the akb's wont like this. arteta was perfect for them.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Unai Who ?

I want to see that on the back page of the Sun tomorrow.

preferably followed by a Double within two years :D

though "set to be" is not the same as announced, I'm happy with this. he's ranked 20th in the World. above us. FWIW.

he needs to prove himself again. and so do we.

its a new direction, a new start. hopefully he will wipe all traces of the ex-manager.

Victoria Concordia Crescit :barscarf:

Block93

Post by Block93 »

If it’s Emery then hopefully the board have actually made the decision on merit and a detailed analysis of his abilities, and not out of desperation, but if you consider Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp, Pocchetino, Conte above us, then you can see why it might appear a surprising choice..

Sean

Post by Sean »

Thank fuck for that 8)

I had totally resigned myself to more years of mediocrity under yes man Arteta (I even pre-written a post to be submitted on his appointment), essentially being 'TOF part 2'. Thankfully, some posters were right that Arteta was used as a stalking horse while we got the real successor. Nice trolling, Ivan. Emery was a little out of left field, but just as well he had become available. I'd have taken Ancelotti, Conte, or Allegri. Thankfully, we have a new brush to sweep clean the last decade of wilful underachievement, with no puppet successor.

I've now gone from being not interested in watching any live games before the FA Cup third round, to being interested on day one of the league. This summer will be exciting. We start in the Europa group stages, so I hope we win that to prove that the previous manager was indeed a total failure in Europe. Emery has won three Europa Leagues, as well as the French league, national cup and league cup. Thank God the TOF nightmare is finally over!

ARSENAL! ARSENAL! ARSENAL! :barscarf:

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

Pleasantly surprised :shock:

I really thought it was Arteta and prepering to accept such a massive risk. But this makes me feel a lot better.

I know Emery, I know he ultimately failed at PSG. But I look at his work at Sevilla and see a manager who used what little he had, and made them a strong outfit that could win trophies.

I never really included him, because after PSG I wasn't really sure he was a right fit, but give the guy a chance.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 pm
Pleased if it comes to pass, PSG was not a barometer. Domestically no challenge means its tough in Europe when you do face decent sides, as such i'm not going to hold PSG time against him.

No hes not a top top tier manager/name, but we are not currently going to get one of them...and lets not forget PSG, who are now one of the biggest in Europe trusted him. hes definitely in the 2nd tier of top managers, has good experience and record in Spain. infinitely better choice than the simply mental one of arteta. of the others rumored, id have emery over all bar allegri, conte and ancellotti, rather have emery than pv4.

just had a look at Ornsteins twittter tweet, and what i don't get is all the mouth breathers unhappy about this that we're not getting arteta (hopefully as its not confirmed). these folks truly are the pricks who have facilitated years of wenger and see no wrong in a weak captain of his with 0 qualifications or attributes for the job, being appointed. i hate those 'fans' with a passion.
For the life of me I can't understand whatsofuckingever. There are actually people legitimately disappointed we're getting a manager with actual experience over a glorified iPad merchant in Arteta. The likes of John Cross and Le Grove are completely slating the board for this.

:banghead:

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

John Cross. :banghead:

Is he an Arsenal fan? Or is he more worried that an experienced manager might improve us, and hurt someone's legacy. :roll: