Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: Unai Emery

Post by clockender1 »

Im stiil behind Dick, but he needs to get over this foreign aversion to playing for a draw or 1-0 away from home against tough opposition- the ex manager had the same flaw.

No one cares if you 'play your football' at Anfield if you lose - the aim is to make them drop points, a point today would have kept us joint top and undefeated.

GG understood that perfectly . You dont give the top four anything.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I've supported the appointment of Emery since day one. However, after watching the way he set up the team today I really cannot begin to understand what he was trying to achieve. Yes, he avoided a hammering of last season proportions but the plan didn't work because we needed Lacazette and Torreira on from the start instead of Xhaka and Cellabos. At one point Cellabos stopped chasing back because he was being run ragged and his frustration showed.
He's now under pressure to deliver next week because we cannot afford to lose against that lot up the road.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:21 pm
I've supported the appointment of Emery since day one. However, after watching the way he set up the team today I really cannot begin to understand what he was trying to achieve. Yes, he avoided a hammering of last season proportions but the plan didn't work because we needed Lacazette and Torreira on from the start instead of Xhaka and Cellabos. At one point Cellabos stopped chasing back because he was being run ragged and his frustration showed.
He's now under pressure to deliver next week because we cannot afford to lose against that lot up the road.

More or less echo's my feelings - I have supported and defended dick on here when I felt that he was being unfairly hammered by some fans, but I have to admit that today that trust in him has gone. The one (obvious) concern I expressed all week was allowing their full backs the freedom to run at us at will, and lo and behold he plays two central strikers with a narrow midfield 4 and giving the full backs no protection at all :evil: We can talk all day about the starting line-up, but imo those tactics doomed us to defeat from the get go.
I suspected all week that laca wouldn't start cos of fitness concerns, and I was 100% convinced that torreira wouldn't start, so I cant say that I am shocked at either of those decisions - however, saying that I was not shocked does not equate to being ok with those decisions. I am now beginning to fear that xhaka will be in our starting line-up long after I have left this world - it isn't just a case of my frustration and anger at him starting the games, but is more that he never gets subbed no matter how shit he is playing :censored:

Right now dick is at last chance saloon for me - if he fcuks up again at the weekend then he should be sacked imo, and even if he does get us back on track with a win against the scum, he will still be on the edge of the cliff for a long time in my eyes

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I just don’t get the fact that Emery makes the same mistakes over and over. This is what Wenger did, you cannot have a manager/coach who doesn’t learn by their mistakes.

WTF is this ‘we must play out from our own penalty area’ all the fucking time? Liverpool press and we let them pin us in our own box, even fucking Burnley did it!! It’s yet another way We are now as predictable as we were under Wenger, every team knows we will play out from the area even if every single Arsenal player within 30 yards is man marked :banghead: We are so easy to play against yet we do it every game for gods sake!!

You can see what will happen now with the game against the dustbin lids, Dick will bring back Ozil and Mhiki for that game and with Xhaka in there as well, midfield will be a total clusterfuck.

Dick will last the season but if he fucks up top four with United and Chelsea being really shit then he has to go. Just get Allegri in and let’s actually move forwards.

Fucking frustrated!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:40 pm
Nos89 wrote:

More or less echo's my feelings - I have supported and defended dick on here when I felt that he was being unfairly hammered by some fans, but I have to admit that today that trust in him has gone. The one (obvious) concern I expressed all week was allowing their full backs the freedom to run at us at will, and lo and behold he plays two central strikers with a narrow midfield 4 and giving the full backs no protection at all :evil: We can talk all day about the starting line-up, but imo those tactics doomed us to defeat from the get go.
I suspected all week that laca wouldn't start cos of fitness concerns, and I was 100% convinced that torreira wouldn't start, so I cant say that I am shocked at either of those decisions - however, saying that I was not shocked does not equate to being ok with those decisions. I am now beginning to fear that xhaka will be in our starting line-up long after I have left this world - it isn't just a case of my frustration and anger at him starting the games, but is more that he never gets subbed no matter how shit he is playing :censored:

Right now dick is at last chance saloon for me - if he fcuks up again at the weekend then he should be sacked imo, and even if he does get us back on track with a win against the scum, he will still be on the edge of the cliff for a long time in my eyes
Welcome Augie :barscarf:
Thing is Augie, he has been doing this week in and week out for 12 months, sometimes getting away with it against vastly inferior opposition, like the Toon on opening day.
So last nights result, performance, tactics and team selection were a foregone conclusion.
Starting Pepe whilst benching Lacazette? he tries to surprise but merely confounds those around him.
I look down the list of Premiership managers this season and can honestly only pick 2 or possibly 3 who I would consider less capable.
I think we actually have a decent squad this season, there are weaknesses eg coco luiz and xhaka. We should though, with a decent tactically astute manager, piss a top 4 place.
I was born in 1964 and have been a gooner as far as I can remember, since 1971. In that time I don’t think we’ve ever appointed a more incompetent manager, so clearly way out of his depth.
What happens against the spuds is irrelevant, it’s a NLD, the atmosphere and the occasion and how each player handles it, will determine the result, as much as any input from Emery.
I doubt he will be sacked before the end of the season, although Kroenke jr (who is growing on me) will want to see a return on his transfer outlay, so should we be in the mire by christmas, then who knows?
What has angered me, are posters on here claiming we should be in some way grateful that Emery has chosen to come to us, HOW FUCKING DARE any c u n t suggest that our great club, be somehow indebted to this manager, who was out of his depth at PSG and would most likely have been sacked had he not quit!
Is it time to take a chance on Vieira? I don’t know, but what I do know is that Emery isn’t the man for the job!

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Not quite going over to your view Sid but yesterday was the biggest test for Emery..As in second season, he knows where the real weaknesses were exposed in his first season so this is the first chance against a top team to show that he has learned and he is aware of what needs to be done. Emery faild that test yesterday at Anfield. He left a defence exposed and while I don't think it was as damaging as it could have been it was luck rather than judgement that it wasn't.
You cannot look at Xhaka week in and week out and decide that is he not only a certain starter but also a leader and a captain. Yet Emery does all of that. The defensive coaching still seems to be non existent. Don't grab your opponent's shirt in your box at set pieces. That is not tactical , that is commonsense with VAR.
I want Emery to succeed but to do so he must learn.. Last season was forgivable in ways because of it being his first season. Well apart from the run in where fourth or even third place was a saunter until we fucked it up.
If there are no signs of learning from the defeats away to the top six sooner rather than later then we can rightly wonder if it will ever happen. Signs from yesterday are not encouraging.

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:34 am
augie wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:40 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Welcome Augie :barscarf:
Thing is Augie, he has been doing this week in and week out for 12 months, sometimes getting away with it against vastly inferior opposition, like the Toon on opening day.
So last nights result, performance, tactics and team selection were a foregone conclusion.
Starting Pepe whilst benching Lacazette? he tries to surprise but merely confounds those around him.
I look down the list of Premiership managers this season and can honestly only pick 2 or possibly 3 who I would consider less capable.
I think we actually have a decent squad this season, there are weaknesses eg coco luiz and xhaka. We should though, with a decent tactically astute manager, piss a top 4 place.
I was born in 1964 and have been a gooner as far as I can remember, since 1971. In that time I don’t think we’ve ever appointed a more incompetent manager, so clearly way out of his depth.
What happens against the spuds is irrelevant, it’s a NLD, the atmosphere and the occasion and how each player handles it, will determine the result, as much as any input from Emery.
I doubt he will be sacked before the end of the season, although Kroenke jr (who is growing on me) will want to see a return on his transfer outlay, so should we be in the mire by christmas, then who knows?
What has angered me, are posters on here claiming we should be in some way grateful that Emery has chosen to come to us, HOW FUCKING DARE any c u n t suggest that our great club, be somehow indebted to this manager, who was out of his depth at PSG and would most likely have been sacked had he not quit!
Is it time to take a chance on Vieira? I don’t know, but what I do know is that Emery isn’t the man for the job!

These are the issues that have prevented me wanting dick out - it has always been said that keepers that are busy all the time during games always look better than they are, but the really good keepers are the ones that have nothing to do for 89 minutes but make that great save when called upon. Not an exact situation I know, but for me managers are in a similar situation - managers like moyes are viewed as great at getting smaller clubs to over-achieve, but then are unable to guide big clubs to what they view as success. I know when I say all that you will point to dick and his over-achievement at Seville, but I will also say it about those 16 or 17 other managers in the league that you view as better than emery - managing a big club and it's expectations is vastly different than managing a Bournemouth or a Leicester, so assuming managers at those shithole clubs are better than emery is at best naïve, but at worst it is a blinkered rant born out of rage.

What I will also say is that the Arsenal of your (and mine) youth is no more - we are no longer The Arsenal, and no longer have the pulling power of a genuinely big club for players or managers, so in that regard lowering our expectations is understandable. Eighteen months ago we managed to entice the former manager of what is probably the richest club in world football, and I stand by the theory that was a coup at the time. Now though, thanks to the summers wheeling and dealing by raul, our perception has improved dramatically, and so hopefully will our pulling power. Has it improved to the point that we could entice allegri ? I am still doubtful about that tbh, but while I am now more open to the idea of a change of manager, I do not go along with the notion that almost everyone would be an upgrade.

Btw, who are the 2 or 3 inferior managers in the league ?

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:51 am
Not quite going over to your view Sid but yesterday was the biggest test for Emery..As in second season, he knows where the real weaknesses were exposed in his first season so this is the first chance against a top team to show that he has learned and he is aware of what needs to be done. Emery faild that test yesterday at Anfield. He left a defence exposed and while I don't think it was as damaging as it could have been it was luck rather than judgement that it wasn't.
You cannot look at Xhaka week in and week out and decide that is he not only a certain starter but also a leader and a captain. Yet Emery does all of that. The defensive coaching still seems to be non existent. Don't grab your opponent's shirt in your box at set pieces. That is not tactical , that is commonsense with VAR.
I want Emery to succeed but to do so he must learn.. Last season was forgivable in ways because of it being his first season. Well apart from the run in where fourth or even third place was a saunter until we fucked it up.
If there are no signs of learning from the defeats away to the top six sooner rather than later then we can rightly wonder if it will ever happen. Signs from yesterday are not encouraging.

Yesterday we had two great chances to take the lead in the first half, and in games like yesterday first goals change matches. If we had gone in ahead at the break would we have said that we were lucky, or would we have said that dick's gameplan of isolating their centre backs was working a treat ? Personally I am still angry that his tactics left their full backs the freedom of their wings to do as they please, and I think that any tactical plan dick had, SHOULD have started with nullifying them

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

This is why I would have started PEA, Laca and Pepe yesterday. It puts them on the back foot defensively. They couldn’t leave it 3 on 3 at the back because of our pace so they would have had to keep 4 players back, that’s the two centre halves, Fabinho the DM and one other, either a full back or Henderson, either way you instantly affect there attacks from defence or weaken their central midfield completely. Go long with the ball, any top team has to adapt.
Dick doesn’t actually appear to be very tactical at all, if you can watch shit loads of videos and still come to the conclusion that it’s good to let two full backs constantly get to your area unopposed, and also let yourself be pinned in your area from your own goal kick to possibly the highest pressing team in Europe........it’s schoolboy stuff. :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

I will still believe that the "playing out from the back" criticism is over the top - the problem with it yesterday was the fact that our two young midfielders didn't get up to the pace of it and were then swarmed and losing possession as a result, and that to me is a failing on the part of the players cos they shouldn't have woken up to the fact that they needed to move the ball faster. Ceballos did a lot better when he was receiving possession on the halfway line and further forward, but when he dropped deeper he was a liability. The douzi is normally the one that takes the bashing from fans for being caught in possession in dangerous areas, but yesterday he was getting on the ball and trying to dictate our game better than anyone else on our team - I suggested pre-season that he had tidied up that part of game in the euro under 20's this summer, and yesterday seemed a continuation of that improvement.
I will also point out that the goals we let in yesterday and had nothing to do with playing out from the back - sometimes it is easier to throw the baby out with the bath water and question every aspect of yesterday, and a lot of fans seem to be doing that here

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

If you lose possession in or around your area several times a match because you constantly look to play it out despite everyone being man marked, then you will not win anything. It’s flawed,it’s eSy for teams like Burnley even, to nullify us a lot of the time. It makes you predictable, and that’s where we’ve been for the last 10+ years. IMO, until we vary our play we are going to lose a lot of matches.
I said at the end of last season that our midfield is almost as bad as our defence, it’s not good enough to play out from the back.

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:13 am
If you lose possession in or around your area several times a match because you constantly look to play it out despite everyone being man marked, then you will not win anything. It’s flawed,it’s eSy for teams like Burnley even, to nullify us a lot of the time. It makes you predictable, and that’s where we’ve been for the last 10+ years. IMO, until we vary our play we are going to lose a lot of matches.
I said at the end of last season that our midfield is almost as bad as our defence, it’s not good enough to play out from the back.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that the idea was to draw their midfield onto us, and then on occasions launch the ball to our strikers who were left 2 v 2 at the back

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Me too, but for yesterdays fuckedupness Unai Emery is to Blame. It was he who selected the team and He who decided on the diamond formation, a formation the players had NOT played in before.

The players can only operate within the constraints of the system they are told to play in, it was always going to be a tough ask to go to scouseshyteland and get a result, the players were asked to play in an unfamiliar system AND he chose the wrong selection from the off, he should have chosen Laca and Torreira to start, instead he chose the equivalent of his love child xhaka.

The scousefilth were petrified of Pepe's pace and as has been rightly stated, had Emery put on Laca nd Auba - all have pace and put Tprreira as the mid-field anchor & holder instead of that useless wankker xhaka to protect the back line Kloppcunt wouldn't have been able to pile all their players so far up the pitch and press us so tightly. because any breaks would see our front 3 destroy them.

If anyone is to blame it is Unai Emery and that is worrying as he has been shown to be tactically naive before - the last 5 games of last season finished our chances of CL and again he did too much tinkering. :?

I so want him and so us to succeed especially after so many years of TOF the Despot. But unless he can see his Errors and learn from them he may not keep all the fans onside :?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that the idea was to draw their midfield onto us, and then on occasions launch the ball to our strikers who were left 2 v 2 at the back
I think you’re right Augie, but the way we went about it was a little like making a guy run out from cover during WW2 to find out where a sniper was shooting from! A little bit suicidal!! :shock:

The plan could have worked better if we had indeed ‘launched the ball’, rather than tippy tappy out from our penalty area under severe pressure :banghead:

Herd

Post by Herd »

This playing out from the back is suicidal when faced with a team that can press well. Dick I'm afraid hasn't got the tactical nous to do the business in this league and his team selection is baffling.
We will win fuck all with him At the helm but he will probably stumble on for 2 more seasons.
Our much lauded signings have not done anything of note yet except fuck up. Next week might be a good time to start playing well.We have been shit in all three games so far but such is the piss poor standard we have 6 points and can do no worse than 6th .