Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Unai Emery

Post by augie »

Any fool talking up wenger and suggesting that he would have done better, loses all credibility on here imo - right from the end of last season we spoke about how there would be some akb c.unts just waiting to knock whoever the next manager does regardless of who the next manager was, and sure as shit they are showing their colours again for the last 6 weeks :roll:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Any fool that uses useless meaningless stats loses all credibility in my book, but especially one that dismisses stats AND then uses them :roll:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

The last few posters (Steveo, Jock, Leftfoot and Augie) all make some very valid points, albeit often in contradiction. That, I think, shows just how bad the mess is that we're in. There are no easy answers and certainly no guarantees, regardless of whether it's Emery or anyone else doing the job, given our piss poor squad, lack of money to spend and most of all, our parasitic owner.

We'll never know whether Wenger would have done a better job this season, but I see no reason to imagine he would have. I see plenty of evidence that he would have continued to take us backwards and certainly that our flakey, overpaid and limited ability squad, is very much his. As Steveo says, some of the additions have improved us, or at least look more promising than what we have / had. Frankly, I won't waste any time thinking about what the French nutter might have done, because it was imperative that he left, no matter who came in and how bad it might get. He was killing our Club from the inside, an insidious disease, that was eating away more with each passing year. He had to go to begin the curing process, although Kroenke sits above it all as the truly terminal illness.

For what it's worth, I was underwhelmed by Emery's appointment and have been equally underwhelmed by his first season. Two months ago I'd have given him the second year without question and although I still believe he needs that chance, these final few weeks have raised serious concerns for me. I've made the point elsewhere, but given the same squad, I'd expect every manager to achieve different levels of success with them....that's the art of management. We got used to Wenger giving us teams that were less than the sum of their parts, whereas better managers achieve the exact opposite. So, after a full season at the helm, I'd have expected Dick to have the team better organised, more resolute defensively, more motivated and giving 100% every time they take to the pitch. I don't expect him to get our average (at best) lot playing like Messi and Ronaldo, but I do expect him to demand commitment and effort. In all those respects, they look no different to a Wenger team.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is his poor command of English. I can barely follow what he's talking about when he's interviewed and as English is a second language for almost all of our squad, they must have absolutely no clue what he's on about when he's talking to them. How can he organise and motivate when no one understands a word he's saying ? Not saying that's the whole problem or that it can't be overcome, but it certainly won't be helping.

Anyway, one more season, but I'll be expecting some of the basics to be improving straight away. Oh and his attachment to Xhaka makes me queston his judgement more than anything else. All of us on here will have differing opinions about footballing matters, but this place seems totally united in understanding that Xhaka is a complete and utter liability....totally fucking useless. Lord above knows what Dick is seeing that no one else can see. Worrying.

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

I have doubts about him and he has til Christmas maybe to convince. I give him benefit of doubt for now cos I cant know how a guy can end up in a dressing room before a major final and not a fullback to be seen. Maitland's is a midfielder hopefully, Monreal is finished with 2 years, Jenkinson is League One, and Kolasiinac cannot run. Who the fuck scouted him, saw he cant run and thought he'd be an addition. Reckon u would have to go to League One to find a club worse off at fullback.Cannot play 4 4 2 because we don't have a full backs, when we go to 4 4 2, we all know we are fucked. Throw in last night that Kos and Monreal are fucked and it's some shambles of a defence. The form line with 8 or 9 matches meant last nights result was no surprise. Amazing that we went from Winterburn, Silvinho, Cole to Silvestre, Santos, Gibbs, Kolasinac and afew more I probably forgetting. There are many reasons to worry about Emery but it was not possible to put together a defence last night. Now if he doesn't buy fullbacks in the summer, he should and will be gone before long.

I would let Ozil go for free if it meant someone would take him and the wage bill. He has been a disgrace for years now and bad news around the place.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

I totally understand people wanting him to get the sack and all but to see some posters calling him a c*nt is just classless and totally undeserved.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:51 pm
Anybody who thinks this guy is the answer knows absolutely nothing about football.

And please don't start spouting fuckin stats about us being a place higher and a couple more fuckin points (as the regular post mover did on a reply to one of my posts, the same guy who dismisses stats :roll: ) better off.
Haha not sure who rattled your fucking cage but I'm assuming you are referring to me?

A couple of facts here Lefty (or Talks With Shit In Mouth, to give you your Native American name :wink: ), I can't find anywhere on this thread where I responded to you with stats. All I can find is this post which was standalone and not a response to anyone:
For me we have improved under Dick. The numbers are 7 points better off and one place higher in the league and getting past the Europa semifinal to the actual final.

But it's more than that. Despite our defensive frailties and still dodgy away form we have improved slightly in both of those areas.

Hopefully Dick can bring in a couple of his own players this summer and offload a couple of the Wenger hanger-ons.

Make no mistake it will take a few years to rebuild the shitfest Wenger and the Lizard left behind.
Now my tubby little Ewok mate if you learn to read your own fucking mother tongue you will come across a concept called inference. Then read my post again. I'm saying that the stats alone can't be used to defend him. I'm saying there is more to it than that.

In future I'll dumb my posts down for you ok? :D :wink:

We should never have given you fucking dwarves the right to vote tbh. :banghead: :lol:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

We'll have fuck all transfer activity this summer, the sense of disillusionment and frustration will grow and if we get off to a bad start he'll be under a load of pressure. I'm still prepared to reserve full judgement until Christmas.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Anyballs back on thread..... :D

For me Dick has a huge job ahead of him. We need a massive clear out. But we have no money to bring in the quality we need and the players we should look to unload will not bring in much at all.

For me the jury is still out on Boomerang and Lacazette. They can look quality and they equally can look fucking useless. Give them another season at least. Same with Torriera and the Dozer. And as for AM-N? He's got it all to do and prove but deserves the chance.

Ozil and Mickey Tarragon are our two biggest earners. Ozil has to go. He is a world class footballer but only in a very limited set of circumstances and we do not have the manager or the money to put those circumstances in place. We are not getting the return 350k a week should get us. If he was on 100k a week yeah keep him but 350k? Fuck no. But thanks for that contractual parting gift Arsene. Also Ozil is 30 now and past his best. Mickey has technical talent but his feet and his thought process are out of sync. In layman's terms he's shit. Get rid.

The utter gash brigade? Comedy Iwobi, Xhakatard, Mustafalaugh, Kos, Lichsteiner, Bellend, Monreal, Kolasinac - all have to go. Even just fucking release these cùnts.

That's 7 or 8 of our regular first team starters!

THAT'S the job Dick has ahead of him. THAT'S the mess Comedy Wenger left behind. :roll:

Dick will need to drip feed these players out in ones and twos over a few windows and bring in one where he can and try carefully promote youngsters like Willock and Smith-Rowe etc when they are ready.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I think Emery should go but to suggest under Wenger we would have done any better is just laughable. We regressed massively under wanker to the point that given a few more seasons, we would have finished 8th or 9th. I'd rather have literally anyone managing us than wanker and the only positive is knowing i dont have to see that arrogant, waste of space stealing 10 million a year from the club anymore.
None of this is a defence of Emery, who has made mistake after mistake this season. Tactically he is far too stubborn and on Wednesday he tried leaving things as they were, though the game was clearly getting away from us. He also started Cech to prove to everyone that he isn't ruthless enough for the job and would rather give in to sentiment than do what's best for the team. As for his signings, Leno is quality, and Torreira showed glimpses but the rest are shit, i don't see him solving these problems during the summer. I would also ask, regardless of the squad at his disposal, if he can't beat Palace or Brighton with the CL on the line, then this should be enough to suggest he isn't good enough for the job. I see Augie mentioning the improved points total so il ask, who is the superior team, the 97 point L'pool team of this season or the 90 point invincibles? For me, you play the season as it is and points total of previous seasons are irrelevant to that.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

BFG4 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:40 am
I think Emery should go but to suggest under Wenger we would have done any better is just laughable. We regressed massively under wanker to the point that given a few more seasons, we would have finished 8th or 9th. I'd rather have literally anyone managing us than wanker and the only positive is knowing i dont have to see that arrogant, waste of space stealing 10 million a year from the club anymore.
None of this is a defence of Emery, who has made mistake after mistake this season. Tactically he is far too stubborn and on Wednesday he tried leaving things as they were, though the game was clearly getting away from us. He also started Cech to prove to everyone that he isn't ruthless enough for the job and would rather give in to sentiment than do what's best for the team. As for his signings, Leno is quality, and Torreira showed glimpses but the rest are average, i don't see him solving these problems during the summer. I would also ask, regardless of the squad at his disposal, if he can't beat Palace or Brighton with the CL on the line, then this should be enough to suggest he isn't good enough for the job. I see Augie mentioning the improved points total so il ask, who is the superior team, the 97 point L'pool team of this season or the 90 point invincibles? For me, you play the season as it is and points total of previous seasons are irrelevant to that.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Described somewhere else as our "David Moyes, Sevilla about his level"

Clash

Post by Clash »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:03 pm
The last few posters (Steveo, Jock, Leftfoot and Augie) all make some very valid points, albeit often in contradiction. That, I think, shows just how bad the mess is that we're in. There are no easy answers and certainly no guarantees, regardless of whether it's Emery or anyone else doing the job, given our piss poor squad, lack of money to spend and most of all, our parasitic owner.

We'll never know whether Wenger would have done a better job this season, but I see no reason to imagine he would have. I see plenty of evidence that he would have continued to take us backwards and certainly that our flakey, overpaid and limited ability squad, is very much his. As Steveo says, some of the additions have improved us, or at least look more promising than what we have / had. Frankly, I won't waste any time thinking about what the French nutter might have done, because it was imperative that he left, no matter who came in and how bad it might get. He was killing our Club from the inside, an insidious disease, that was eating away more with each passing year. He had to go to begin the curing process, although Kroenke sits above it all as the truly terminal illness.

For what it's worth, I was underwhelmed by Emery's appointment and have been equally underwhelmed by his first season. Two months ago I'd have given him the second year without question and although I still believe he needs that chance, these final few weeks have raised serious concerns for me. I've made the point elsewhere, but given the same squad, I'd expect every manager to achieve different levels of success with them....that's the art of management. We got used to Wenger giving us teams that were less than the sum of their parts, whereas better managers achieve the exact opposite. So, after a full season at the helm, I'd have expected Dick to have the team better organised, more resolute defensively, more motivated and giving 100% every time they take to the pitch. I don't expect him to get our average (at best) lot playing like Messi and Ronaldo, but I do expect him to demand commitment and effort. In all those respects, they look no different to a Wenger team.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is his poor command of English. I can barely follow what he's talking about when he's interviewed and as English is a second language for almost all of our squad, they must have absolutely no clue what he's on about when he's talking to them. How can he organise and motivate when no one understands a word he's saying ? Not saying that's the whole problem or that it can't be overcome, but it certainly won't be helping.

Anyway, one more season, but I'll be expecting some of the basics to be improving straight away. Oh and his attachment to Xhaka makes me queston his judgement more than anything else. All of us on here will have differing opinions about footballing matters, but this place seems totally united in understanding that Xhaka is a complete and utter liability....totally fucking useless. Lord above knows what Dick is seeing that no one else can see. Worrying.
You're on top form this week Retro. Another great post. And that is a very good point about Emery's poor English. I cant understand him either and I do often wonder how some managers get their message across.

As for the Wenger thing ... I liken the way our club was run over the past 10-12 seasons under him to an old man who neglected the work that needed doing in his house. As the years go by things got worse and worse but the problems were not addressed. Then the old man died but by that time it was too late and the place was derelict. Emery might not be the right choice to renovate the place and maybe with the limited budget the job is beyond him. Or maybe some things have improved but we've not noticed them yet because our attention is still on the big hole in the roof? But make no mistake ... old man Wenger is still the man responsible for the state the place is in and under him things would only have got worse.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:44 am
Seville have been a level above us for the last 4 seasons, due to the work Emery did there. Maybe give the guy time and stop behaving like a Newcastle supporter.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Seville have been a level above us for the last 4 seasons, due to the work Emery did there. Maybe give the guy time and stop behaving like a Newcastle supporter.
Ifyou paid attention, I posted something that someone else quoted on another forum, they aren't my words, but thanks for your interest in my affairs.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:28 am
mcdowell42 wrote:

I too don't like the arrogance and blindness shown by the guy that posted that comment on the internet first - some fans are that stupid that they simply are unable to see that we are not the big powerful club challenging for big trophies every season. Wenger and Kroenke have dragged this club down to the also ran levels (a bit higher than Seville mind), and I would say that regardless of who our manager is. That clown that coined that phrase first is so arrogant that he cannot see that we are no longer The Arsenal, and now are just Arsenal - we don't have the class on or off the pitch these days, and we don't behave like, or run the club like we are still a big club. Maybe Seville is dick's level, and maybe that makes him the perfect choice for us given that is the level that we will be operating in the transfer market.
Fans need to quickly accept and deal with the reality of where the club is now - the previous manager incorporated a losers attitude right through the club, and where ambitions and accountability were non existant. Maybe dick isn't the man to change all that, and if that is the case then so be it, but believe me our next manager, and next transfer signings will come from Seville level, so fans need to temper their expectations accordingly