Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

Re: Unai Emery

Post by gooner265 »

Herd wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:12 am
Freddie gets a pass until end season unless we slip into the bottom 3 or come up with an acceptable long term manager.
How he shuffles the pack of losers malcontents and hapless fools is his concern and I wish him well as the dressing room is probably at it's worse since I've been around.
The situation we are now in has been caused by a cluster fcuk of cants.
Raul fir not weeding out ozil xhaka and other shits from the garden and buying shit players.
Ozil for causing widespread disharmony.
Emery for not having a clue.
The rest of the players for not working hard enough and for bieng dumb fucks.
Dumping on Freddie after the poor *word censored* only bieng told of his appointment mid Friday is incredulous and unworthy of even our toxic fanbase .
Agree with this, it's been disgraceful the abuse Freddie has received already , yes the team selection was shocking for me but it's premature to know what he's thinking after one game. he came across very well in the press conference for me and clearly is a thinker about the game so let's see where he is going after a few games. Ornstein stated the other day he and Emery clashed on tactical differences , I'll be there tomorrow hoping to see gradual improvements , Tierney and bellerin are hopefully fit for this one.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 pm
Herd wrote:
Freddie gets a pass until end season unless we slip into the bottom 3 or come up with an acceptable long term manager.
How he shuffles the pack of losers malcontents and hapless fools is his concern and I wish him well as the dressing room is probably at it's worse since I've been around.
Raul fir not weeding out ozil xhaka and other shits from the garden and buying shit players.
Dumping on Freddie after the poor *word censored* only bieng told of his appointment mid Friday is incredulous and unworthy of even our toxic fanbase .
Agree with this, it's been disgraceful the abuse Freddie has received already , yes the team selection was shocking for me but it's premature to know what he's thinking after one game. he came across very well in the press conference for me and clearly is a thinker about the game so let's see where he is going after a few games. Ornstein stated the other day he and Emery clashed on tactical differences , I'll be there tomorrow hoping to see gradual improvements , Tierney and bellerin are hopefully fit for this one.

Yes but Freddie wanted Mustafi back in the team while Dick kept saying no :wink: :lol:

I don't think that there has been real abuse of Freddie more an expression of complete and utter shock that he put Mustafi back in the side. When you consider we are carrying the likes of Luiz and Xhaka putting Mustafi back in seemed a bit strange. Xhaka returned and was found wanting again and of course that will upset people. Rightly so quite frankly as it's the same old story with these individuals. So it will be very interesting to see who he selects tomorrow and like you I'll be there and hoping for any improvement in our performance. I do hope that Freddie holds true to whatever his selection and tactics are as that is the only way we will be able to judge him with any sense of accuracy. For starters If he fails to use Torreira to protect the defence again then it's cause for concern in my opinion.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:23 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Herd wrote:

Yes but Freddie wanted Mustafi back in the team while Dick kept saying no :wink: :lol:

I don't think that there has been real abuse of Freddie more an expression of complete and utter shock that he put Mustafi back in the side. When you consider we are carrying the likes of Luiz and Xhaka putting Mustafi back in seemed a bit strange. Xhaka returned and was found wanting again and of course that will upset people. Rightly so quite frankly as it's the same old story with these individuals. So it will be very interesting to see who he selects tomorrow and like you I'll be there and hoping for any improvement in our performance. I do hope that Freddie holds true to whatever his selection and tactics are as that is the only way we will be able to judge him with any sense of accuracy. For starters If he fails to use Torreira to protect the defence again then it's cause for concern in my opinion.
Well said Jock, especially the part in red.

I think we can all accept Freddie will make mistakes but I think people are mistaking criticism for abuse - unless they're referring to something I haven't seen?

I really hope Freddie learns from the mistake he made on Sunday and doesnt pick that side again. We are stuffed if he does.

It was because his predecessors failed to learn from their mistakes and kept repeating them that he got the job in the first place.

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:54 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
Herd wrote:

I think we can all accept Freddie will make mistakes but I think people are mistaking criticism for abuse - unless they're referring to something I haven't seen?

I really hope Freddie learns from the mistake he made on Sunday and doesnt pick that side again. We are stuffed if he does.

It was because his predecessors failed to learn from their mistakes and kept repeating them that he got the job in the first place.

What can he have learned from Sunday that he didn't learn in the previous 6 months ? Is he the type of arrogant cock that believes that HE can be the man that makes mustafi a quality centre back ? Does his "water to wine" notions stretch to believing that because he picked xhaka the fans will be then on board with it, and that xhaka will suddenly be the quality midfielder that he needs to be ??

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The thing is Freddie spent 80% of his professional footballing career being managed, coached, advised and supervised by someone whose Arrogance, Despotism and Delusional State of Mind proved to be his downfall, so if Freddie does think Wenger is the person to seek advise and guidance from; taking into account the above then we could be looking at another Total Manager Car Crash.

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:02 pm
Clash wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:54 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
gooner265 wrote:
Herd wrote:

What can he have learned from Sunday that he didn't learn in the previous 6 months ? Is he the type of arrogant cock that believes that HE can be the man that makes mustafi a quality centre back ? Does his "water to wine" notions stretch to believing that because he picked xhaka the fans will be then on board with it, and that xhaka will suddenly be the quality midfielder that he needs to be ??
That's a good question and one that I have no answer for. Its why I think the criticism of Freddie is justified and why I don't think he has any excuse for picking that team. If he was really the one who picked it - some are suggesting he didnt and that it was either the team Emery had already decided on, or that it came from above. I seriously doubt both of those claims myself but who knows anymore?! :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Apart from Tierney instead of Kolasinac, who else was he going to play in defence, Holding and Bellerin weren't fit, Sokratis has also been a disaster so far this season,Chambers in at CB maybe, no excuse for playing Xhaka ahead of Torreira.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Freddie's role in the first team has been very limited ,all the decisions were taken by Emry ,he isn't responsible for the shit that has gone before ,end of.
He was made manager on a Friday with a game on a Sunday ,the team selection was his choice ,I wont criticize him for it even though it isn't the team I would have picked, give the guy a chance to draw breath !
It would appear from reading some of these posts that people just want to be outraged by anything anyone does at Arsenal ,I find that strange and certainly supports the toxic fanbase comment .
People who go to the matches cheered Freddy and co right through the match at Norwich ,I'm not suggesting the people who go are toxic !
I don't so I'm on the Toxic waste pile although funnily enough I'm going tonight !

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:25 pm
Apart from Tierney instead of Kolasinac, who else was he going to play in defence, Holding and Bellerin weren't fit, Sokratis has also been a disaster so far this season,Chambers in at CB maybe, no excuse for playing Xhaka ahead of Torreira.

Sokratis has been poor this season (and I say that as a fan of the guy), but he still has been nowhere near as bad as mustafi has been - I would go so far as to say that even on sokratis's worst day, he hasn't been as shit as the type of day mustafi turns in on a regular basis
If I had of been picking the team I would have played chambers in the centre alongside luiz (if we were dropping sokratis) - I know that would probably involve playing maitland-niles right full, but surely that has to be preferable over playing mustafi in the team ?? People seem to have totally forgotten that chambers was doing well at centre back the last time he got a run of games there, and lets be honest here, the guy hasn't got the pace for right full

People are defending Freddie on his team selection based on only being put in charge 2 days previously, but that doesn't wash for me cos he was involved with the squad as a coach all season so must have seen how poor some lads are. Some are saying that because he is a rookie he will make mistakes and we need to give him time (time we haven't got mind you), but it wasn't that he made mistakes that bothered me, but more the manner of them - if he showed too much confidence in young players that were not ready yet then I could understand it, but he made "mistakes" picking the same older/senior players who have been letting the club down for years now. I am still very concerned that he picked those players because of their standing in the dressing room more than anything they do on the pitch, and that scares the bejesus out of me tbh

Clash

Post by Clash »

Herd wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 pm
Freddie's role in the first team has been very limited ,all the decisions were taken by Emry ,he isn't responsible for the shit that has gone before ,end of.
He was made manager on a Friday with a game on a Sunday ,the team selection was his choice ,I wont criticize him for it even though it isn't the team I would have picked, give the guy a chance to draw breath !
It would appear from reading some of these posts that people just want to be outraged by anything anyone does at Arsenal ,I find that strange and certainly supports the toxic fanbase comment .
People who go to the matches cheered Freddy and co right through the match at Norwich ,I'm not suggesting the people who go are toxic !
I don't so I'm on the Toxic waste pile although funnily enough I'm going tonight !
Fair enough if you see it that way but as Jock said yesterday, there are players at the club that are toxic - and the most toxic of the lot has been re-instated into the side. Picking Mustafi was bad enough but Xhaka?!!! It was guaranteed to get a negative reaction.

Maybe its a chicken and egg situation i.e what came first? The toxic fanbase? Or the toxic players, manager, owner, board etc?

I think the toxic fanbase (if you want to call it that) is a consequence of the latter because we weren't all like this years ago.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:00 pm
Herd wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 pm
Fair enough if you see it that way but as Jock said yesterday, there are players at the club that are toxic - and the most toxic of the lot has been re-instated into the side. Picking Mustafi was bad enough but Xhaka?!!! It was guaranteed to get a negative reaction.

Maybe its a chicken and egg situation i.e what came first? The toxic fanbase? Or the toxic players, manager, owner, board etc?

I think the toxic fanbase (if you want to call it that) is a consequence of the latter because we weren't all like this years ago.

I like being toxic as it makes me feel more exotic and interesting :roll: :lol: :lol:

Maybe Freddie has taken a giant leaf out of Dick's playbook and instead of going for the obvious half time changes of taking off a kid to put on an experienced pro - fu.cking genius man - he's going to completely change around his team for his second match to look decisive and clever.......or maybe not :lol: Either way I'm quite looking forward to going tonight which hasn't been the case for a while.

augie

Post by augie »

The xhaka selection stunned me tbh - a lot of fans are supporting Freddie cos he is "a proper Arsenal man", but I'm not sure how a proper Arsenal man would accept xhaka's actions and reinstate him into the team :shock: :shock: I know people will come back with the "we all make mistakes" shite, but for me there are lines you don't cross and xhaka not only crossed those lines, but he feels absolutely entitled and correct for doing so :censored:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Freddies so called coaching role in the club has been minimal imo but your free to disagree because none of us really know.
I think his role was to look after the young players he had under him as they make the transition to 1st team ,I doubt if he had any influence on Emry's tic tacs or team selection .
On a personal note I loather Xhaka and want him gone , I think mustafi is a liability ,but I'm not the manager ,right now Freddie, is whatever he calls it's his decision ,that's what managers do .
He will get a lot of backing from those who do go in tonight and I hope he can stop the ship from sinking which frankly was where we were going under Emry until the day a new man is appointed !
We should all pray he does exactly that lest the board will be panicked into appointing the first big name that comes along !
I just think it's wrong to build him a gallows after being in charge for 48 hrs b4 an away game !

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

There was an article in the press the other day claiming that Dick only really trusted or listened to his own people that he brought with him so the likes of Freddie and Bouldy probably had a limited input into what was going on. Quite believable.

But Freddie, Xhaka AND Mustafi....why?

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:17 pm
Freddies so called coaching role in the club has been minimal imo but your free to disagree because none of us really know.
I think his role was to look after the young players he had under him as they make the transition to 1st team ,I doubt if he had any influence on Emry's tic tacs or team selection .
On a personal note I loather Xhaka and want him gone , I think mustafi is a liability ,but I'm not the manager ,right now Freddie, is whatever he calls it's his decision ,that's what managers do .
He will get a lot of backing from those who do go in tonight and I hope he can stop the ship from sinking which frankly was where we were going under Emry until the day a new man is appointed !
We should all pray he does exactly that lest the board will be panicked into appointing the first big name that comes along !
I just think it's wrong to build him a gallows after being in charge for 48 hrs b4 an away game !

You are misunderstanding what I am saying Herd - I'm not saying that Freddie had equal say or indeed any say in the way the good ship emery was being run, but what I am saying is that he was there and has seen first hand the liabilities that xhaka and mustafi have been for a long, long time and he should know better that to reinstate them to the starting team. For me there are only 2 possible reasons why Freddie restored them to the starting line up -

1. Pandering to the senior players in the squad lest they undermine him - this is what I suspect to be the case. Basic dressing room management involves getting the biggest players to be in your corner - that is all well and dandy if those players had been performing to the required level, but if you are viewed to be ass kissing players who are seen as a virus in the team, then you are on very dodgy ground with the fans from day one.
2. The ultimate nightmare scenario is that Freddie restored them to the line up because he believes that they are good enough - if his judgement/assessment of players that have been blatantly shit for a long time now is that poor, then really we are fcuked if he is left in charge. There is literally no circumstances which option 2 is acceptable