First wave of PL stalwarts go into management

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: First wave of PL stalwarts go into management

Post by DB10GOONER »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:48 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 am
Wilson wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 am
clockender1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:53 pm
Is it just me or is lampard as thick as fuck ?

Personally, I think he’ll go the Bryan robson, mark Hughes route - aka be dogshit but keep be given chance after chance due to their playing career.

For a team that’s just missed the play offs it’s a shocking decision to pick a manager with no coaching, selection or scouting experience.
Mark Hughes was great at Blackburn, was considered a viable Ferguson successor.
:coffeespit:

Fucking hell mate. He was average on a good day there ffs. He managed to get one of the dirtiest sides in PL history to kick and foul their way to 6th place then went and pissed a fortune on the very definition of shit players and then used all that new "talent" to promptly finish 10th! :lol:

Ffs a quick Google will show the following "great" signings and the money he wasted:

Benni McCarthy (£2 million), David Bentley (£500,000), Ryan Nelsen (free), Stephen Warnock (£1.5 million), Roque Santa Cruz (£3.5 million), and Christopher Samba (£400,000). :lol:
really don't think you've done yourself any favours with that post, that list of signings is tremendous for a club of blackburns size - and a couple of them huge bargains :? :shock:

benni mccarthy was a top class strikers that had won the UEFA Cup & CL with porto and had a great scoring record at the time. David Bentley scored some scorchers for them (including a hat-trick v the mancs) and was sold for huge profit. Ryan Nelson was a very solid centre back for years, Warnock was sold for profit to villa, Chris Samba was another really solid centre half that was sold for huge profit to to some russian outfit for £12.3 million! As for Roque Santa Cruz - mate? This guy was a fucking revalation for them - scored 23 goals in 52 league games for them and made a huge move to citeh in the region of £17m!

Honestly, none of them were world class - but in my opinion looking back at that business, probably one of the best transfer windows a club of their size has ever had! :shock:
Stop mate you are embarrassing yourself. :lol: The original comment was that Hughes was great there. He wasn't. His "genius" in signing those players led to his team doing worse in the league ffs. :coffeespit: And not one of those players won anything with Blackburn. When he signed them they were bog average players just a crop of rejects and past it players looking for a late career payday.

As for Roque Santa Cruz? Are you fucking kidding? Haha his "huge move" to citeh was before they were pimped properly so how that qualifies as huge is anyone's guess. Anyway his huge move was basically citeh quickly realising how bang fucking average he was and sending him out on loans ffs. If you are gonna shoot the yap off try not just spit shit out... :lol: :wink:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

not arguing about hughes. but simply, the transfer window you highlighted was hugely successful, and whatever you have to say on the matter, roque santa cruz was a tremendous signing and probably the best striker outside the top 6 clubs back around 2005-07.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 pm
not arguing about hughes. but simply, the transfer window you highlighted was hugely successful, and whatever you have to say on the matter, roque santa cruz was a tremendous signing and probably the best striker outside the top 6 clubs back around 2005-07.
Try. Not. Just. Spit. Shit. Out. I. Said. :D :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

A month into the season and another PL stalwart our very own TH14 is making first steps into proper management at Bordeaux. It's fascinating to see how these multi-millionaires management careers develop as they literally have no reason to go into the direct firing line other than the sheer love of the game of football.

I have even more respect for these guys as they are risking their reputations as great players and will get more media attention because of who they are, rather than what they are doing. Even more so than those who rely on punditry to stay within the game because anyone can criticise/ praise a team performance without having played at highest level.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:06 am
A month into the season and another PL stalwart our very own TH14 is making first steps into proper management at Bordeaux. It's fascinating to see how these multi-millionaires management careers develop as they literally have no reason to go into the direct firing line other than the sheer love of the game of football.

I have even more respect for these guys as they are risking their reputations as great players and will get more media attention because of who they are, rather than what they are doing. Even more so than those who rely on punditry to stay within the game because anyone can criticise/ praise a team performance without having played at highest level.
I was just saying on the 'other games thread - Joey Barton has started well at Fleetwood. he's a twat but I give him way more respect for starting down there than Lampost or Gerrard who I sincerely hope both fail spectacularly.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 pm
Where are Blackburn now ;)