First wave of PL stalwarts go into management

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

First wave of PL stalwarts go into management

Post by Nos89 »

There seems to be a new wave of retired Premier League stalwarts going into management. High profile names like Gerrard, Lampard, and lesser profile Nolan, Moore and Barton all getting jobs this summer.
Will they be replacing the Moyes/ Pardew/ Allardyce/ Hodgeson merry go round or become title winners or managers at top4 clubs?
It was thought with the money they've made players like Lampard and Gerrard wouldn't go into management because of the pressures but they're giving it a go.

DB10GOONER

Re: First wave of PL stalwarts go into management

Post by DB10GOONER »

Fuck me do you start a thread every time you have a thought mate? :lol: :wink:

Only kidding... but for me most of them will be the new generation of shit managers like the current mob of Pardew Redkrapp Fat Sam Hughes etc etc etc.

augie

Post by augie »

When a former top player goes into management it could go either way - they could turn out to be great managers who can bring their own experience to a team, or they could turn out to be shit if they cannot communicate and improve weaker players. It seems to be an accepted fact that glenda hoddle as a manager fell into the second group of players - a wonderfully skillful player who could not adapt when it came to coaching players who could not do what he was able to do himself.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

I thought glenda was a pretty good manager to be fair. He developed amd worked well with lesser players at Swindon

It was his off pitch views that cooked his goose

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I think it's a good thing as it makes things a bit more interesting and gives me more options of people I want to fuck things up at their club :barscarf:

From a club's perspective what have you really got to lose with fat frank over a fat sam, pardew, usual suspects type of appointment. To be fair to Frank he's got a brain in his head and speaks well when interviewed and has a fighting chance of success. Not sure how Gerrard and a bunch of weegies are going to get along though I think that could be entertaining especially when celtic stuff them in their next game.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Is it just me or is lampard as thick as fuck ?

Personally, I think he’ll go the Bryan robson, mark Hughes route - aka be dogshit but keep be given chance after chance due to their playing career.

For a team that’s just missed the play offs it’s a shocking decision to pick a manager with no coaching, selection or scouting experience.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:53 pm

Personally, I think he’ll go the Bryan robson, mark Hughes route - aka be dogshit but keep be given chance after chance due to their playing career.

For a team that’s just missed the play offs it’s a shocking decision to pick a manager with no coaching, selection or scouting experience.
First time I saw him being interviewed years ago I thought he was mildly retarded tbh. He just kept saying "the gaffa".

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

I think Lampard will take to management, he is a winner, was smart on the pitch and speaks well of it, it dont mean anything in management but suspect he'll be a bigger success than Gerrard.

This is the sort of path Arteta had to take not get above himself and think that he could walk into the Arsenal job.

augie

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:

All the talk a few weeks ago was that rowett walked cos derby were about to start offloading players to reduce the wage bill ........... why would lumpolard take that job after hearing that ? :? I heard him say that it was the first concrete offer he had received, but doesnt he realise that the first managerial gig is the one that will make or break a guys career ? If he gets them promoted then he is a genuis, but if they fail to make the playoffs it will be said quite openly that he isnt as good a manager as those that went before him, regardless of the reasons why

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Joey fucking 'stab you in the face with a cigar' Barton?
I had only just stopped pissing myself about Lee Bowyer at Charlton.

Fwankie at Derby? Why did they change it, FFS? Surely a novice manager with zero experience, cannot replicate Derby's last season, narrowly missing out on promotion from one of footy's most difficult leagues. The mind boggles. :shock:

Gerrardcant at Rangers? Do me a favour. Brenda will tear him a new one. If he thinks that the bindipper supporters were hard on him when he showed a leg to Chavski, imagine what mincemeat the Gers supporters will make of this pillock. Novice with no knowhow. It will end in tears.

buncha no marks

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

clockender1 wrote:

Mark Hughes was great at Blackburn, was considered a viable Ferguson successor.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wilson wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 am
clockender1 wrote:

:coffeespit:

Fucking hell mate. He was average on a good day there ffs. He managed to get one of the dirtiest sides in PL history to kick and foul their way to 6th place then went and pissed a fortune on the very definition of shit players and then used all that new "talent" to promptly finish 10th! :lol:

Ffs a quick Google will show the following "great" signings and the money he wasted:

Benni McCarthy (£2 million), David Bentley (£500,000), Ryan Nelsen (free), Stephen Warnock (£1.5 million), Roque Santa Cruz (£3.5 million), and Christopher Samba (£400,000). :lol:

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:07 am
Wilson wrote:
clockender1 wrote:

Fucking hell mate. He was average on a good day there ffs. He managed to get one of the dirtiest sides in PL history to kick and foul their way to 6th place then went and pissed a fortune on the very definition of shit players and then used all that new "talent" to promptly finish 10th! :lol:

Ffs a quick Google will show the following "great" signings and the money he wasted:

Benni McCarthy (£2 million), David Bentley (£500,000), Ryan Nelsen (free), Stephen Warnock (£1.5 million), Roque Santa Cruz (£3.5 million), and Christopher Samba (£400,000). :lol:
Bently, McCarthy and Cruz all punted on for a profit. 16m Tottenham pad for Bently, and Cruz went for 17m to City. McCarthy scored 50 goals for in 140 games for Blackburn. Nelson was a solider defender.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wilson wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:26 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wilson wrote:
clockender1 wrote:

Bently, McCarthy and Cruz all punted on for a profit. 16m Tottenham pad for Bently, and Cruz went for 17m to City. McCarthy scored 50 goals for in 140 games for Blackburn. Nelson was a solider defender.
Just read those names again to yourself. Then look at what they won in their careers, and the names of the big clubs most of them never played for. Bog average to poor every one of them.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wilson wrote:
clockender1 wrote:

really don't think you've done yourself any favours with that post, that list of signings is tremendous for a club of blackburns size - and a couple of them huge bargains :? :shock:

benni mccarthy was a top class strikers that had won the UEFA Cup & CL with porto and had a great scoring record at the time. David Bentley scored some scorchers for them (including a hat-trick v the mancs) and was sold for huge profit. Ryan Nelson was a very solid centre back for years, Warnock was sold for profit to villa, Chris Samba was another really solid centre half that was sold for huge profit to to some russian outfit for £12.3 million! As for Roque Santa Cruz - mate? This guy was a fucking revalation for them - scored 23 goals in 52 league games for them and made a huge move to citeh in the region of £17m!

Honestly, none of them were world class - but in my opinion looking back at that business, probably one of the best transfer windows a club of their size has ever had! :shock: