Arsenal London

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Arsenal London

Post by the playing mantis »

Jens Lehmans twitter lists his teams, and he list us as Arsenal London. As a bout i seem to remember us referenced as such in European draws for the CWC in the early 90's.

Are we commonly known as that overseas?

richie powling

Re: Arsenal London

Post by richie powling »

yes, and the stadium is always called the arsenal stadium london .

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:15 pm
Jens Lehmans twitter lists his teams, and he list us as Arsenal London. As a bout i seem to remember us referenced as such in European draws for the CWC in the early 90's.

Are we commonly known as that overseas?
It goes back to the days of European draws using the official club name, city and national association so we were always drawn as Arsenal, London, England. A lot of European clubs include the city name in their official English title like Sporting Lisbon, CSKA Moscow, Real Madrid, Sparta Prague or whatever else so the draw didn't need to name their cities. I remember when Lyon were drawn as Olympic Lyonnais, Lyon, France because their title is in French and the draw hsd to use the English name of the city. I think they've stopped this daft stuff now but you still find some publications list the clubs as the whole fucking thing.
In answer to the second part, most people call us Arsenal or some The Arsenal because for French speakers or Italians for instance, they like to put a definite article in front. I quite like that and encourage them to call us The Arsenal.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

richie powling wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:36 pm
yes, and the stadium is always called the arsenal stadium london .
I heard a commentator during a Champions League game at the Emirates saying for European games the Emirates is called Arsenal Stadium (by UEFA) because Emirates are not a sponsor of UEFA Competitions ,and whoever is the official airline sponsor wouldn't be happy to have a rival name associated with the competition on the cheap..

richie powling

Post by richie powling »

thats true, highbury was always called the london stadium or the arsenal stadium , but i guess that was its real name as it was never officially called highbury stadium.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Highbury's only official name was "Arsenal Stadium".

And it still breaks my heart we left her for this current fucking vacuous soulless tramp. :censored: :x :cry:

Herd

Post by Herd »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:38 pm

And it still breaks my heart we left her for this current fucking vacuous soulless tramp. :censored: :x :cry:
1.correct
2. me too

Its been 12 years and I'm still not over it ,I was living in Aubert Park when we left Highbury but they didn't start knocking it down until the winter
When I saw the clock end demolished I felt like one of my family had died !
Its still affecting me ,I should get counselling !

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

DB10GOONER wrote:

I was once called "anal" on here for pointing this fact out so welcome to the arseholes club!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:17 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

I was once called "anal" on here for pointing this fact out so welcome to the arseholes club!
:lol:

Oh mate there are more than a few on here that will tell you I'm a long term fully paid up member of the arseholes club.... and they're right! :barscarf: :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

The only good thing about the move to the Emirates is that it is in the same area - imagine how a West Ham fan feels.

of course it wouldn't be so bad if the Emirates had actually been built with the regular supporter in mind (like dare i say it Spurs new place...)
what I hate about the Emirates is that it is all geared around the club level which sucks the atmosphere out of the place :banghead:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

I've heard some say that the new swamp has less of a gap from the fans to the pitch edge, yet Arsenal said there was new minimum size regulations from UEFA regarding this issue, when our fans raised the issue :twisted:

It's also been mentioned that the new swamp seats are normal sized like other grounds? Plus they have one proper steep fans end without yuppie executive boxes in the middle! :cussing: :cussing:

Our shite stadium badly needs upgrading & more seats available for the club's traditional core support. :barscarf: Put the away fans upstairs in the corner like the Geordies do!

We should rebuild & expand both ends with 3 tiers like Man Citeh are doing, won't be long before there are 4 or 5 clubs with bigger grounds than us! :censored:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am
The only good thing about the move to the Emirates is that it is in the same area - imagine how a West Ham fan feels.

of course it wouldn't be so bad if the Emirates had actually been built with the regular supporter in mind (like dare i say it Spurs new place...)
what I hate about the Emirates is that it is all geared around the club level which sucks the atmosphere out of the place :banghead:
Sp*rs new place hasn’t been built for the masses - they are attempting to do exactly what we and West Ham have done - get a different set of spectators in, the ones with £ or € to spend.
The new shithole has got some luxury arears with heated seats ffs and apparently a glass viewing area of the players tunnel - why the fuck anyone would pay more to glance down on a load of brylcreamed heads is anyone’s guess, but if you tell someone it’s executive and top of the range there is always an idiot ready to part with their cash to put a picture on facebook I suppose :roll:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:01 am
I've heard some say that the new swamp has less of a gap from the fans to the pitch edge, yet Arsenal said there was new minimum size regulations from UEFA regarding this issue, when our fans raised the issue :twisted:

It's also been mentioned that the new swamp seats are normal sized like other grounds? Plus they have one proper steep fans end without yuppie executive boxes in the middle! :cussing: :cussing:

Our shite stadium badly needs upgrading & more seats available for the club's traditional core support. :barscarf: Put the away fans upstairs in the corner like the Geordies do!

We should rebuild & expand both ends with 3 tiers like Man Citeh are doing, won't be long before there are 4 or 5 clubs with bigger grounds than us! :censored:
We should but none of this will happen, because as we all know by now Kroenke is an unambitious c*nt, that is why he kept faith with Wenger for so long and why our answer to Spurs building a bigger stadium was to announce we are adding 800 club level seats to try and get back to the capacity it started with and still smaller than Spurs.

Best of luck to Emery ( he'll need it ) but f*ck going back to that sh*t corporate bowl, I will go back the day we show some ambition like spending serious money and/or making our stadium better than a bunch of losers, until then it's checking results on livescore.com, that is my level of interest these days thanks to the w@nker that runs our club (into the ground).

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:56 am

We should but none of this will happen, because as we all know by now Kroenke is an unambitious c*nt, that is why he kept faith with Wenger for so long and why our answer to Spurs building a bigger stadium was to announce we are adding 800 club level seats to try and get back to the capacity it started with and still smaller than Spurs.

Best of luck to Emery ( he'll need it ) but f*ck going back to that sh*t corporate bowl, I will go back the day we show some ambition like spending serious money and/or making our stadium better than a bunch of losers, until then it's checking results on livescore.com, that is my level of interest these days thanks to the w@nker that runs our club (into the ground).
The Law of Gravity stops away fans going upstairs, as I am sure you would be nowhere near them when they start pissing down on you? 8)

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:08 am
sk-gtfo wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:56 am

The Law of Gravity stops away fans going upstairs, as I am sure you would be nowhere near them when they start pissing down on you? 8)
Well unless they have a mighty flow they would be pissing onto club level and there's never anyone out there is there?