Borehamwood AWAY Sat July 14th - 3pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: Borehamwood AWAY Sat July 14th - 3pm

Post by Jock Gooner »

Ed Hunter The Gooner wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 pm
Read somewhere that all players who played in the first half left during half time and went back to Colney to start a training session, right after the first half. They are really putting lot of work into the team and getting out most of it when the season actually starts. No fucking about on Dick's watch it seems.

The fancy 'mini' bus did bugger off at half time and there were persons on board but we couldn't see who. Sounds like what you read is right.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:11 am
flash gunner wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:28 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:04 am
clockender1 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm

I suspect then that this won't be the usual pre-season stroll. team places and appearance money, bonuses etc are up for grabs
Absolutely. Dick is no fool. He is not immersed in a nice comfort zone like Wenger was. He knows he has to deliver and hit the ground running because the glare of the media and the AKB are upon him. He has no loyalties built up with, or inexplicable favourites amongst, the players like Wenger had. He will be ruthless and I'd imagine every single player will have to actually earn their starting spot in the first eleven. Fuck me what a novel idea. :lol:
He also knows he has no credit in the bank so results matter from day one
Absolutely and that has to be a huge motivator for him to be ruthless.

I'm like a giddy schoolgirl (or 1989 watching his tottnumb heroes :wink: ) I'm so excited about the new season and the new dawn. Have not felt this way about the Arsenal for about 10 years.....

UTA. :barscarf:
It’s an amazing feeling 8)

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:08 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
clockender1 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm

I suspect then that this won't be the usual pre-season stroll. team places and appearance money, bonuses etc are up for grabs
Absolutely. Dick is no fool. He is not immersed in a nice comfort zone like Wenger was. He knows he has to deliver and hit the ground running because the glare of the media and the AKB are upon him. He has no loyalties built up with, or inexplicable favourites amongst, the players like Wenger had. He will be ruthless and I'd imagine every single player will have to actually earn their starting spot in the first eleven. Fuck me what a novel idea. :lol:

I'm like a giddy schoolgirl (or 1989 watching his tottnumb heroes :wink: ) I'm so excited about the new season and the new dawn. Have not felt this way about the Arsenal for about 10 years.....

How many times these last 4-5 seasons have we started the season sluggishly West Ham opening game a couple of years back being one standout

This guy as rightly stated has no credit,no chance to use premeditated excuses and in the modern world of professional football players will take every opportunity to hide behind a manager when things are going badly.

Very interested to see which players buy into the work ethic that is obviously trying to be installed and which players won't.

The message being sent out for me even in these first couple of weeks is clear to the players whatever happens the benchmark for hard work is going to be mandatory,shape up work hard buy into whats happening or face not playing,some will.some won't and for the ones that don't I for one couldn't be happier.

it's going to be hard for him to turn us back to where we want to be but a hard working,drilled,committed team,win,lose or draw is something many of us have been crying out for years. 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:55 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:08 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

How many times these last 4-5 seasons have we started the season sluggishly West Ham opening game a couple of years back being one standout

This guy as rightly stated has no credit,no chance to use premeditated excuses and in the modern world of professional football players will take every opportunity to hide behind a manager when things are going badly.

Very interested to see which players buy into the work ethic that is obviously trying to be installed and which players won't.

The message being sent out for me even in these first couple of weeks is clear to the players whatever happens the benchmark for hard work is going to be mandatory,shape up work hard buy into whats happening or face not playing,some will.some won't and for the ones that don't I for one couldn't be happier.

it's going to be hard for him to turn us back to where we want to be but a hard working,drilled,committed team,win,lose or draw is something many of us have been crying out for years. 8)
Absolutely, we won’t win every match we play, but we need to try to - a stark contrast to the last few years when they turned up if they felt like it.

rich31

Post by rich31 »

I didnt see the game but i have to say it all feels and seems so different now.Early signings,hard training and a manager who appears to be ruthless if needed...plus Auba and lacazette playing together suggesting he willing to give it a try .Bloody hell im excited by The Arsenal again!!.. :barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Read somewhere that all players who played in the first half left during half time and went back to Colney to start a training session, right after the first half. They are really putting lot of work into the team and getting out most of it when the season actually starts. No fucking about on Dick's watch it seems.
I’m thinking more and more that Dick really was their first choice as his regime and methods are a complete opposite of what we were.

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 pm
I’m thinking more and more that Dick really was their first choice as his regime and methods are a complete opposite of what we were.
I totally agree and think the same. It's got to be so.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

To think Borehamwood were close to being a league team and I think that is relative to the result. I love seeing us start pre-season with a proper result. looks like no messing with emery, and no favours either. Nketiah would've been given another month off under wenger because of his involvement in the Toulon tournament. We mean business this season. think Ozil will be in for a shock.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Some dopey Spuds fan on Twitter posted last night that their keeper was winning the World Cup as captain while Arsenal were worrying about Borehamwood...Calls himself the SpursBrain or some such nonsense...Sounds about ten years old.
Just saw the goals on SSN , nice goals that mean very little in the bigger scheme of things, but like many others on here I am genuinely excited about Arsenal again.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Only saw the highlights on Arsenal Player but did i actually see us defending.
By that i mean, one on one with the player rather than marking a bit of space......................

Post by 1989 »

We're spoilt to have Aubameyang and Lacazette. Both top drawer strikers and what's more, they seem to have struck up a lovely partnership.

Can see them both banging them in for fun this season. Lacazette will be fired up even more following the french world cup snub as well.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

1989 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 am
We're spoilt to have Aubameyang and Lacazette. Both top drawer strikers and what's more, they seem to have struck up a lovely partnership.

Can see them both banging them in for fun this season. Lacazette will be fired up even more following the french world cup snub as well.
I still maintain that Lacazette should have gone to the World Cup instead of Giroud, although it is hard to argue that now that France are World Champions.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 am
1989 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 am

I still maintain that Lacazette should have gone to the World Cup instead of Giroud, although it is hard to argue that now that France are World Champions.
I think that point is totally valid considering Giroud didnt have a shot on target in the entire tournament

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

In fairness to Giroud his hold up play was quite good and you could see that was the preferred system for the French and I guess by winning it they were proved right. But I still cannot get my head around Giroud playing in a world cup final never mind winning one..... :shock: :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

He may not have actually scored but Giroud was the first player to the ref and clearly led the protests for the penalty decision so he claims credit for his efforts there :lol: