Arsenal vs Lazio Aug 4 (Stockholm)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Arsenal vs Lazio Aug 4 (Stockholm)

Post by DB10GOONER »

Last friendly before the season proper. Fingers crossed for no stupid injuries at this stage.

GranadaJoe

Re: Arsenal vs Lazio Aug 4 (Stockholm)

Post by GranadaJoe »

Hopefully, we'll get to see Torreira and Lichsteiner.

and dembele.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

I doubt we'll see Torreira unless as a sub.

what will be interesting is to see who starts as RB - Bellerin or Lichsteiner or Holding ?

John F

Post by John F »

My son has gone out to see this,does anybody know of a good pre match pub in the area.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Last of the meaningless pre season friendlies and make no mistake and never under estimate how little an indication these games are to what will unfold in the coming season!
We’ve had some decent pre seasons recently only to get off to a fucking nightmare start in the league and be basically out of contention after 4 or 5 games.
Yet I remember a dismal pre season where I don’t think we won a game and included a 1-0 defeat to Northampton, the press were masturbating them selves at our inevitable fall from grace.
If my memory serves me right we won the league that coming season ( was it the invincibles) I’m not sure?
I was on the pub with my missus last night and the local chav supporters club were there having got back from the match in Dublin, I could hear them chatting about how they could rule us out of a top 4 finish!
And I thought to myself “you stupid ignorant fucking wankers “
I can never understand anyone from an Irish nationalist background supporting that scum bag club
Anyway can’t wait for next weekend, it’s my missus’ 50th on Saturday then the season starts for us on Sunday then me and her good self are off to London for a midweek break for her 50th

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I don't think any of the pre-season friendlies are meaningless. They're good at getting the team together and improve fitness. Two things that have happened in the past after tournaments;
1) Those that participated came back to the club, AFTER the season had started
2) Any player that showed good form in pre-season was benched/ dropped once the season had started losing any momentum they gained in pre-season.

So far, this season all the players are back in before the season starts, which is a change and we've had less first 11 starter players go to the world cup.
It's good to see from pre-season that if Aubamayang doesn't score, Lacazette does, and vice versa. Ozil seems to have had a weight lifted off his shoulders. That we are slowly improving defensively, and the players fitness levels look stronger.

I also think we can see the core of the team developing with the contract extension that have been given out.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:25 pm
Last of the meaningless pre season friendlies and make no mistake and never under estimate how little an indication these games are to what will unfold in the coming season!
We’ve had some decent pre seasons recently only to get off to a fucking nightmare start in the league and be basically out of contention after 4 or 5 games.
Yet I remember a dismal pre season where I don’t think we won a game and included a 1-0 defeat to Northampton, the press were masturbating them selves at our inevitable fall from grace.
If my memory serves me right we won the league that coming season ( was it the invincibles) I’m not sure?
I was on the pub with my missus last night and the local chav supporters club were there having got back from the match in Dublin, I could hear them chatting about how they could rule us out of a top 4 finish!
And I thought to myself “you stupid ignorant fucking wankers “
I can never understand anyone from an Irish nationalist background supporting that scum bag club
Anyway can’t wait for next weekend, it’s my missus’ 50th on Saturday then the season starts for us on Sunday then me and her good self are off to London for a midweek break for her 50th
Their supporters come in all shapes and sizes Nationalists or otherwise, I know where you are coming from and to be fair, this is one of the reasons I do not frequent watering holes where eejuts congregate and spout off at just the right volume within earshot!....
Remember empty vessels make the most noise.... :wink:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Lazlo have an Ultra hardcore!
So watch your backs if you are making the journey and do not trust the fuckers! :cussing:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

#Arsenal confirm Sead Kolašinac will be out of action for 8-10 weeks with a knee injury. https://t.co/OytrvZwKMW

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:54 pm
I don't think any of the pre-season friendlies are meaningless. They're good at getting the team together and improve fitness. Two things that have happened in the past after tournaments;
1) Those that participated came back to the club, AFTER the season had started
2) Any player that showed good form in pre-season was benched/ dropped once the season had started losing any momentum they gained in pre-season.

So far, this season all the players are back in before the season starts, which is a change and we've had less first 11 starter players go to the world cup.
It's good to see from pre-season that if Aubamayang doesn't score, Lacazette does, and vice versa. Ozil seems to have had a weight lifted off his shoulders. That we are slowly improving defensively, and the players fitness levels look stronger.

I also think we can see the core of the team developing with the contract extension that have been given out.

Buddy if elninny and iwobi are part of this "core" to which you are referring, then we are finished as a big club for decades to come :oops: :cry:

Blade

Post by Blade »

Holding is never a back up rightback.Chambers or AMN ?

augie

Post by augie »

Blade wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:12 am
Holding is never a back up rightback.Chambers or AMN ?

Maitland-Niles is a centre midfielder - he does a decent job when asked to fill in at the full back positions, but he is still a centre midfielder and I fear that he isnt going to get a chance there. There is a boat load of players ahead of him for the centre midfield positions (if we can go by the team selection and substitutions in the 2 friendlies against proper opposition), so what does the future hold for AMN ?

augie

Post by augie »

Btw is this f.ucking game live on any tv channel ? I thought it was on eir sport but it isnt listed on their programming for today :?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:46 am
Btw is this f.ucking game live on any tv channel ? I thought it was on eir sport but it isnt listed on their programming for today :?
Don't think so, I was having a look last night. Arsenal Digital are streaming it apparently so I'll give that a go. Really looking forward to seeing Torreira get a run out.

Blade

Post by Blade »

pointless friendlies is correct.Rather a 2 week training camp in Austria away from media.