Man City HOME Sunday August 12th 4pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
shu

Re: Man City HOME Sunday August 12th 4pm

Post by shu »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 am
Give it time was the toughest start Emery could have had to his Arsenal career
Too true . I think within a few games the new signings will all be in and things will start to improve. This is transition but I think the two new ones in midfield are the future. We have to give it some time , Chelsea away is another game with bad timing but hopefully we can be better organised.

GTG

Post by GTG »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 pm
Blade wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:06 pm
" He can't get away with that type of aimless performance ,or he'll be sat next to UE".Lee Dixon.

After the 2nd half kicked off his first touch was in the 65th min.Very influential against an elite team.

I assume that is again aimed at Ozil ? If so then would you please shut the fcuk up or fcuk off to another forum cos this vendetta of yours is ridiculous- I thought that he was poor today but there were 4 or 5 worse than him, but all you seem to be able to do is focus on him
Could say the same about Ramsey to be fair. Im not saying he was great by any stretch but from what I saw he was trying his best to make things happen yet he gets slaughtered on here every single time about his attitude.

Ozil is rightly being called out because he is the highest earner at this club and as such is supposed to be our most influential player when we need him. He offers absolutely nothing in the big games and I don't give a toss what the stats say.

Micky Mouse was comfortably worse than both of them..... and Xhaka doesn't even deserve discussing.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:57 am
augie wrote:
Blade wrote:
" He can't get away with that type of aimless performance ,or he'll be sat next to UE".Lee Dixon.

After the 2nd half kicked off his first touch was in the 65th min.Very influential against an elite team.

I assume that is again aimed at Ozil ? If so then would you please shut the fcuk up or fcuk off to another forum cos this vendetta of yours is ridiculous- I thought that he was poor today but there were 4 or 5 worse than him, but all you seem to be able to do is focus on him
Have to agree augie. It's past tedious and nonsensical and is now just trolling - and we have clear rules about trolling. I'm reluctant to ban the idiot because I don't want to be accused of it being a personal thing but I also have rules to follow on here. If he keeps it up I'll give him a week off.

Oh for any of our entitled hipster pc twats -
one of the definitions for "trolling" is repeatedly posting nonsensical rubbish to provoke or irritate other forum users.
Yeah but you're funny too sometimes :shock: :lol:

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Blade wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm
[ I like the look of Lichsteiner. Very confident and hasn’t put a foot wrong yet.
And playing out of position
[/quote]

When Monreal is fit Bellerin can go back to modelling because Lichsteiner is a better defender than Bellerin.Both City goals came from Bellerin's side

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

silus wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 pm
On the way home from the game..not sure what to make of it all considering the opposition.
Positives:
-made a few chances press8mg them in their own half.
- we seemed to have a much better shape than normal
-decent debut by lichsteiner and guendouzi looks a great signing (whoever asked why he was still on tje pitch must have watched a different game than me)
Negarives:
- defence very shaky at times
- xhaka...fucking shit
- Ramsey..I'm not sure what his role/position in the team was supposed to be.

All in all I'm not too downhearted...a lot of work to do but definitely positive signs I think.

Hard to judge as man city are fucking good...if they don't win the league at a canter I will cut my cock off and feed it to my neighbours dog.

This is a pretty fair assessment of what I saw (you're on your own with the whole neighbours dog thing pal).

Guendozi as a 19 year old from Ligue 2 and he is bossing our midfield - fair play to him but what an indictment on the rest of the midfield.

We were too narrow at times as we kept our shape but had we tried anything different city would have arse raped us. Watching both city wide men hugging the touchline with the nearest defender 20 yards away was a bit unnerving but had we gone out to them they would have just walked through the middle so in a way the (sort of) discipline shown was encouraging.

As for the pressing game - well, city showed us how it is done. We pressed as a whole team on a few occasions and ironically this was when the crowd really 'encouraged' them to do so as often only 2 or 3 pressed initially and you could see their defence struggling to get out with their usual composure but it is still not a natural setting for too many of our players.

Xhaka is just dog shit.

Ramsey, Miki, Ozil were are all too similar in what they did and all were poor and we need a whole lot more from them. Against the top teams we might want to consider dropping one (two!) of them for more defensive players - no immediate options!

Auba - difficult, very difficult. He was making some decent runs when we went forward but there was no supply to him. City's defence pushed up and as soon as he made his run there was a second or two for the ball to be played onside but unfortunately that ball never came. Again a bit like the pressing there were a few occasions when the crowd getting onto the team seemed to wake them from a bit of default sideways wenkerball nonsense into pushing forward directly which unsettled city more.

I kept an eye on Torreira when he came on and he is an interesting prospect - when he grows up he will be great! He actually looked like he knew what he was doing and was paying attention to what was going on around him. There wasn't much he could do but he tracked back with a sense of purpose and displayed positional awareness which at our place is rare so he should be able to do a job for us.

I still get the feeling we have too many square pegs in round holes which is a legacy of TOF just buying who he wanted rather than players the team need. Against city Torreira and another defensively minded midfielder - a N'Zonzi type - were needed to try and contain them. Also we could do with some natural width upfront and I would quite happily sacrifice Miki T for a proper winger.

Overall, I wasn't too dispirited by our performance as you have to keep in mind how fucking good this city team are.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

We all know we have to give a new manager time but as has already been pointed out, the inclusion of Cech, mustafi and xhaka when we had other alternatives worries me greatly. If emery hasn’t already realised that they are either past it or simply shite, then we are in trouble and any optimism I had will disappear very quickly to be replaced by a desire for him to fuck off!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:51 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 pm
Why is the kid with the hair still on ?
What game where you watching Rob? For a youngster it wasn’t an awful debut. He made one howler, got away with it but for the rest of the game looked more accomplished than so called seasoned pros Ramsey and Xhaka. I like how he sees a forward pass early. When the front line figure his game and there is more of an understanding, I expect a more productive outcome.
he looks a good prospect yes, but he just shouldn't be starting in a game like yesterday.
Man City have Foden - he is a good prospect too, but you wouldn't see him starting yesterday.

the fact that he not only started, but as you say was probably our best midfielder, just highlighted how far behind City we have fallen.

Post by 1989 »

Obviously a disappointing result, but quite a few positives to take from that. You could see what Emery is trying to implement. Our pressing game needs refining but it will get there. As will the playing out of the back style. I was very encouraged by what I saw despite the result. Great to see a manager constantly barking instructions on the touchline as well. I'm sure he's gonna review what happened in this match over and over, knowing the bloke.

People need to remember we were playing the champions as well, a team that's made history last season and are up there with the very best the premier league has seen. So with that being taken into consideration, all in all it wasn't such a disaster. However, I'm expecting a better performance and result at the chavs, hopefully.

PS. If Guendouzi doesn't go on to become a world class midfielder, I'll eat my hat.

GTG

Post by GTG »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:51 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 pm
Why is the kid with the hair still on ?
What game where you watching Rob? For a youngster it wasn’t an awful debut. He made one howler, got away with it but for the rest of the game looked more accomplished than so called seasoned pros Ramsey and Xhaka. I like how he sees a forward pass early. When the front line figure his game and there is more of an understanding, I expect a more productive outcome.
he looks a good prospect yes, but he just shouldn't be starting in a game like yesterday.
Man City have Foden - he is a good prospect too, but you wouldn't see him starting yesterday.

the fact that he not only started, but as you say was probably our best midfielder, just highlighted how far behind City we have fallen.
Im guessing he started yesterday because Torriera isn't up to speed fitness wise. What it showed though is as rough a diamond as he is, he still offers more than Xhaka.

We are miles away from competing for top honours and will be for a long time now so imo someone with the obvious talents he has deserves persevering with. He's deffo got something and will learn as he goes along.

Herd

Post by Herd »

When I saw the team sheet I resigned myself to defeat ,and the lines from the Who song( We don't get fooled again),meet the new boss ,same as the old boss kept running through my cider addled brain .

Best new nickname for a player ,side show bob , Well it made me laugh !

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

1989 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28 am

PS. If Guendouzi doesn't go on to become a world class midfielder, I'll eat my hat.
Some deluded Arsenal fans said the same about Wilshere. Just glad you stopped short of calling him the new Vieira :roll: :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
Blade wrote:

Have to agree augie. It's past tedious and nonsensical and is now just trolling - and we have clear rules about trolling. I'm reluctant to ban the idiot because I don't want to be accused of it being a personal thing but I also have rules to follow on here. If he keeps it up I'll give him a week off.

one of the definitions for "trolling" is repeatedly posting nonsensical rubbish to provoke or irritate other forum users.

I don't think quoting Dixon or his other comments are trolling.

Clearly the two of you disagree. Ozil in particular divides fans, but there have been plenty of posters on here who have had vendettas against a variety of players. It might make our blood boil on occasion, but stupid speech is part of the price we pay for free speech.
And nobody said quoting Dixon was trolling did they? No. What is trolling is repeatedly posting the same rubbish to provoke a negative reaction. Something he has done throughout this thread. Something that has provoked at least 2 other forum users to tell him to fuck off. Read the thread and then make a comment if you must, but at least do it from an informed position. Then read the rules regarding trolling.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
Blade wrote:

I don't think quoting Dixon or his other comments are trolling.

Clearly the two of you disagree. Ozil in particular divides fans, but there have been plenty of posters on here who have had vendettas against a variety of players. It might make our blood boil on occasion, but stupid speech is part of the price we pay for free speech.
Agreed. I dont see how criticising ozil can be construed as trolling. Everyone has a player they think isnt worthy of the badge. For me its Ramsey. I havent seen what other things the person in question has said but it does seem at times the modding on this forum is way over the top. No doubt cue a if you dont like it f off elsewhere response.
Again, no one said criticizing Ozil is trolling. Repeatedly posting ill thought out rubbish to provoke a negative reaction is trolling. And he has done that throughout the thread. But no you pop in to have a go without even reading what was posted. :roll: Re-read it and then read the rules on trolling.

As for your other typical chip on shoulder comment about the modding being OTT - are you, of all people, kidding??!! :roll: :lol: On any other forum you would be banned long ago for the personal abuse you have dished out on here.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Why on earth was Emery so quick to tie Xhaka down to a new contract, I bet he's regretting that already. And as for that earlier statement about building a team around Ramsey, I bet that ludicrous idea has been shelved as well. At least he jerked the pair of them, Wenger would have kept them on just to prove a point....under Wenger we would have probably shipped 5 yesterday.

What a chalice this unfortunate man has inherited, seems a decent enough bloke but I can see the crowd turning on him very quickly while the architect of this absolute clusterf**k is sitting with his feet up somewhere.... and still on our dime :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If Wenger was still presiding over this mess we would finish in the bottom half this season. Hell we still might.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:02 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
Blade wrote:

Yeah but you're funny too sometimes :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol: