Man City HOME Sunday August 12th 4pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Man City HOME Sunday August 12th 4pm

Post by clockender1 »

The pre-season is in the books, it was solid but not spectacular.weaknesses are still apparent in technique and desire so it’s up to Dick to use tactics to cover that up until he can coach them out of it.

The goal of this game for us has to be to avoid a heavy defeat.

My heart says 1-1 or 0-0 but I think I’d settle for a narrow loss.

Jock Gooner

Re: Man City HOME Sunday August 12th 4pm

Post by Jock Gooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:15 pm
The pre-season is in the books, it was solid but not spectacular.weaknesses are still apparent in technique and desire so it’s up to Dick to use tactics to cover that up until he can coach them out of it.

The goal of this game for us has to be to avoid a heavy defeat.

My heart says 1-1 or 0-0 but I think I’d settle for a narrow loss.
I think that we can nick a draw. Opening weekend optimism, neither squad up to full fitness, world cup hangovers, we're at home and hopefully the new guy Tactics will be used. We won't get a better chance against citeh than this. I just hope that we stop treating games against them and the other top four as if we were playing Bournemouth and start being a bit more considered in our approach. A point against them and then Chelsea would be a good positive start to the season.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Season opener, with something i've not had for a long time.... anticipation :barscarf: :barscarf:

Yes i know it's a tough opener and if i'm brutally honest i dont expect massive things from our lot but i'm really looking forward to us playing the team in front of us rather than what a certain individual thinks should be in front of us and us actually taking it seriously :rubchin:

Result: 1-1 :barscarf:

(i know i shouldn't be happy wanting a draw but there are still a lot of things to iron out and improve)

Post by 1989 »

I reckon Dick will try to nullify the likes of KDB and Silva linking up between the lines, so expect Torreira to start.

Isn't it nice to have a manager who can do TACTICS.

augie

Post by augie »

The thing that worries me about this game is that I dont really have any confidence in our players in possession when under pressure - the chavs used a high pressure game on us in the first half on wednesday night, and our players were unable to deal with it at all. For years teams did this against us cos we werent physically able to deal with the pressure, but now we have brought in a few bigger physical players but they are technically not good enough on the ball - we are being fcuked over either way :lol: :lol:
Our own sideshow bob has been outstanding this pre-season, but I think that we all know that it is only a matter of time before he gets caught in possession trying to turn an opposition player outside our box. Citeeh players play a more energetic and higher pressing game than anybody else in the league, so I think that we need to be able to go more direct (not high hoof balls, but balls down the channels or to the feet), but if we do that then lacazette and/or bangabang need to make the ball stick up there if we are to have any chance

Btw, does anybody remember an offseason where so little attention has been paid to the defending champions ? :shock: Maybe it only seems that way cos I am paying more attention to our rebuild, or maybe it is cos the media are focused on the victims spending spree and moaninho's regular implosion, but citeeh are sitting there in the long grass just waiting to take everyone apart and no-one is talking about them :shock: :shock:

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I imagine City would be cautious of us. I think if you offered them a point they would take it. I have always felt some fans suffer from the spider syndrome - the failure to recognize your opponents are just as scared of you as you are of them. We do have a lot of quality players, particularly upfront.

Dont know how we will line up, especially who will partner Sokratis given LK is out. Is Mustafi going to Inter? Rob Holding perhaps.

Really intrigued to see how we line up. Selection wise and formation

I think a score draw is a likely outcome.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Under no illusions this season will have it's ups and downs,we have quality going forward but obvious weaknesses at the back.

Playing City opening day of the season is as good as time as any imo.A lot of our players had no world cup distractions BangBang.Laca and the ones that did go most came home early Ozil etc and the new signings have had the pre-season with us Torreria and Lichtstiener excepted.

City have a lot of players coming back late from the world cup and the opening day of the season seems to throw up the odd upset it takes a few games to get up and running any season,world cup and euro years more so.

Personally be satisfied with a draw,optimistic overall for the season ahead and with regard the pressing game be interesting to see how Emery goes about implementing his ideas.Already zonal marking at corners has been thankfully ditched but of course we can have all the best plans and tactics it comes down to how it is implemented.

Hard opener for us but im sure City would of preferred to play a few other teams than Arsenal away first up under a new manager with what will be for the first time in years the fans going into a new season with shoots of optimism and a stadium behind the team.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

If the Community Shield is anything to go by, next week will be a very tough game for us. Perhaps expecting a win is a bit optimistic at this early stage of the team rebuild. On a personal note, this will be the first home game of the season I have missed for over 2 decades. Note to oneself, don't book a holiday that coincides with the first weekend of the PL season again!

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:21 pm
If the Community Shield is anything to go by, next week will be a very tough game for us. Perhaps expecting a win is a bit optimistic at this early stage of the team rebuild. On a personal note, this will be the first home game of the season I have missed for over 2 decades. Note to oneself, don't book a holiday that coincides with the first weekend of the PL season again!

That was a citeeh team without ederson, de bruyne, david silva, sterling plus jesus only came on as a sub - it was frightening how easy they beat the chavs today :shock: :shock:

Midz

Post by Midz »

i'd like to think we won't be as easy to beat for the top 6 teams this season starting with a 2-1 win against city.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:08 pm

That was a citeeh team without ederson, de bruyne, david silva, sterling plus jesus only came on as a sub - it was frightening how easy they beat the chavs today :shock: :shock:
yeah and as you said, they have kept a relatively low profile.

whilst i think the chavs are poor too - hazard aside, a full strength city is a frightening thought. i think the only thing preventing them from a very rare back to back title is Pep, De Bruynes etc desire to win the CL.

the spuds had a very quiet pre-season too. i have a hunch the wheels are going to come off down there.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

I hope we can catch them cold but this current Arsenal squad doesn't fill me with confidence.

Despite 4 or 5 signings, we look imbalanced to me; defensively poor, two £60m strikers shoehorned into the same team with one stuck on the wing and we still lack an explosive player to take the game to the opposition (worryingly iwobi currently looks our best bet for that role :shock: )

Torriera looks exciting and I'd like to see the Swiss fullback take bellerin's spot. Not sure about sokratis but hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Gutted an upgrade for Mustafi hasn't been signed yet :(

Strange season ahead.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

exciting season ahead, but I think we will struggle on Sunday.
1-3 defeat my prediction.

what you have to remember is that we are up against one of the very top teams in the world, whilst we finished last season as a team in decline.
there are clear problems in defence, with talk of Maitland Niles operating as left back :roll:

Emery needs to be given time, and aganst ANY other club I think we could probably get a result, but I just don't see it next week.
I still optimistically think top 4 is possible at the end of the season.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Heart a draw.Head says 2 or 3-1 citeh but it wont be a le bulbeye style defeat..I think emery will set us up to try and nulify them and make us hard to break down,he will use tactics :shock: I just think they are a far superior side to us obviously.Hopefully home advantage can work in our favour.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:18 am

I still optimistically think top 4 is possible at the end of the season.
yeah me too, I thought the chavs looked clueless yesterday & courtois wants out.

these first 6-8 games are about growth and development. if we can stay in touch with united, spurs and the chavs we might just make the top four.