other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by Retro Gunner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:58 am
I've been waiting for someone to challenge this 'groupthink', but it aint happening so here goes. It's classless.

By all means, dislike the supporters. In my view there's a lot to dislike. Leaving aside the whole 'victim' mentality, there are some pretty unsavoury elements among them. My life still flashes before me when I remember being up there for the first leg of the 1978 League Cup semi-final, when for some reason our coaches dropped us off in the back-streets which surround the ground where we were sitting targets. Next thing I knew, a massive pane of glass was winging its way over the houses and heading for me. I remember diving into a chippy.

But this team are bloody good. They have lost one premier league match all season, 2-1 at Manchester City. They have reached consecutive Champions' League finals. They have three world-class forwards, and a formidable defence which Klopp built, helped by the sale of Coutinho but also by identifying players who would turn his side from good to great. They have a very strong squad, as last night proved.

To suggest the Champions' League is a poor competition and that Barcelona are rubbish is sour grapes. The cream of European football invariably gets through to the knockout stages of the CL. It's the Europa League that is the poor relation these days: Fulham have been in the final within the last decade.

I hope Ajax win the CL as much as any of you. But even if the team and club we support have lost pretty much everything that made them classy and respected, it doesn't mean we have to. Let's give credit where it's due.

I'm inclined to agree Bob. I'll get me coat....and me tin hat ! :lol: :wink:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i'm offering a short prayer up to the God of Football for tonight :

" Dear Herbert,

Please don't let those horrible c@nts win tonight too.

Amen".

sorted.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:58 am
I've been waiting for someone to challenge this 'groupthink', but it aint happening so here goes. It's classless.

By all means, dislike the supporters. In my view there's a lot to dislike. Leaving aside the whole 'victim' mentality, there are some pretty unsavoury elements among them. My life still flashes before me when I remember being up there for the first leg of the 1978 League Cup semi-final, when for some reason our coaches dropped us off in the back-streets which surround the ground where we were sitting targets. Next thing I knew, a massive pane of glass was winging its way over the houses and heading for me. I remember diving into a chippy.

But this team are bloody good. They have lost one premier league match all season, 2-1 at Manchester City. They have reached consecutive Champions' League finals. They have three world-class forwards, and a formidable defence which Klopp built, helped by the sale of Coutinho but also by identifying players who would turn his side from good to great. They have a very strong squad, as last night proved.

To suggest the Champions' League is a poor competition and that Barcelona are rubbish is sour grapes. The cream of European football invariably gets through to the knockout stages of the CL. It's the Europa League that is the poor relation these days: Fulham have been in the final within the last decade.

I hope Ajax win the CL as much as any of you. But even if the team and club we support have lost pretty much everything that made them classy and respected, it doesn't mean we have to. Let's give credit where it's due.

I love to see a progressive, positive thinking liberal approach to the victims, how cute :roll: Sorry but their fans are a shower of shite so that condemns the club too as far as I'm concerned. Not very enlightened or classy but I really don't care.
This. Vile club, vile fans, vile attention seeking gimp of a manager, vile cheating players. Am I bitter? No. Rather get relegated than be one of them.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Well yesterday was upsetting wasn’t it.

Worst of all was that they actually deserved it, not just on the night but absolutely over both legs.

Barca folding was on the cards as soon as the first went in. They played a negative game but still put out coutinho who was awful, and there was zero leadership as everybody just trudged back to the halfway line as the goals kept flying in. Vidal is a slug and Alba and ter Stegen exposes the sheer arrogance of that club where they don’t back it up with performances.

Swap Pique for Mustafi and that might as well have been Arsenal.

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 pm
Tbf I'm jealous, we don't get nights like that at Arsenal anymore, in fact we get the fuckin opposite.

Think I will have to give football a miss for a while.
Yes, hope Ajax can save us from hell but not optimistic. Will we ever again have a decent footballer like Terence Trent Arnold. It's not rocket science, good fullbacks, keeper, centre back and work from there . I might even have a grudging like for England with fellas like Arnold. Fine fucking footballer.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

this is car crash TV. i don't want to watch it, but i have to in the hope they get crushed. :banghead:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The victims win on Tuesday, the scum win on Wednesday, Valencia win on Thursday and Brighton win on Sunday.

That was the week that was :suicide:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Hope Ajax stuff the words of old jug ears and son of a whore back down their throats, they've virtually written Ajax off before the match has started.

Come on Ajax....don't forget to stick an elbow in Vertonghen's beak early doors :lol:

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

In a pub with no TV because if I went home I might watch that match and reckon its gonna go wrong. Last night brought home what a joke we are, Liverpool ain't great but have a defence, pace and attitude. Very hard to change our DNA now. Have a feeling we wont win a league again in my lifetime unfortunately.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Come on Ajax....don't forget to stick an elbow in Vertonghen's beak early doors :lol:
that is the proper way to play :box:

Poldi

Post by Poldi »

:barscarf:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Get the fuck in :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Fuck yes :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Leyton Gooner

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Everything I haven't watched has gone to shit lately, our last few league games, last night, their win in the last round. Watched our European matches which went well, so forcing myself to watch this in the hope watching works again

Leyton Gooner

Post by Leyton Gooner »

It's working (so far) :barscarf: