other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by SteveO 35 »

We all agree on the racism point (at least I sincerely hope so) but to suggest that it is somehow now a massive problem in the English game seems well wide of the mark to me

When my Dad first starting taking me in the 70s, you could it hear it everywhere....particularly when Chelsea were in town. Just about every vile word you could ever think of for a black person was shouted out, the noises were made, bananas were thrown, abuse aimed even at their own black players and it happened every week.

These days I'd like to think that what we're picking up is the odd isolated dickhead with too much beer down his neck or coke up his nose giving it the large. It happens in pubs, clubs and kebab shops up and down the country every weekend, where some arsehole decides to give it the large and I dare say brings race, sexuality, appearance etc into the argument.

My own experience of it - and admittedly I'm a very part time supporter these days - is that I simply can't remember hearing anyone within earshot of me at the bowl or any Arsenal away game, make a single racist reference, comment or noise for as many years as I can remember. I've also been with mates of other teams to their games (Palace, Charlton, West Ham) and can honestly say the same thing. Perhaps I've just been very lucky, but I'm pretty certain that what we're seeing now are isolated examples that modern day technology can spot more easily, rather than the widespread racism and ignorance of the 1970s and 80s.

Incidentally I agree with what Chris Wilder said last night - start self policing your own stadium. I wouldn't give a shit if the bloke next to me was off his face and 6 foot 9.....if I heard him calling someone a "black c.unt" or any such nonsense, I would make sure I did something about it i.e. report it.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:26 am
We all agree on the racism point (at least I sincerely hope so) but to suggest that it is somehow now a massive problem in the English game seems well wide of the mark to me

When my Dad first starting taking me in the 70s, you could it hear it everywhere....particularly when Chelsea were in town. Just about every vile word you could ever think of for a black person was shouted out, the noises were made, bananas were thrown, abuse aimed even at their own black players and it happened every week.

These days I'd like to think that what we're picking up is the odd isolated dickhead with too much beer down his neck or coke up his nose giving it the large. It happens in pubs, clubs and kebab shops up and down the country every weekend, where some arsehole decides to give it the large and I dare say brings race, sexuality, appearance etc into the argument.

My own experience of it - and admittedly I'm a very part time supporter these days - is that I simply can't remember hearing anyone within earshot of me at the bowl or any Arsenal away game, make a single racist reference, comment or noise for as many years as I can remember. I've also been with mates of other teams to their games (Palace, Charlton, West Ham) and can honestly say the same thing. Perhaps I've just been very lucky, but I'm pretty certain that what we're seeing now are isolated examples that modern day technology can spot more easily, rather than the widespread racism and ignorance of the 1970s and 80s.

Incidentally I agree with what Chris Wilder said last night - start self policing your own stadium. I wouldn't give a shit if the bloke next to me was off his face and 6 foot 9.....if I heard him calling someone a "black c.unt" or any such nonsense, I would make sure I did something about it i.e. report it.

After the chav/scum game last sunday, souness said that he and Kenny daglish had discussed the recent rise in racial incidents, and he said neither of them can remember anything like this happening when they were playing ……… are you fcuking kidding me ??? The 70s was probably one of the worst decades of racial incidents and abuse, and I am not talking specifically football either. `Being oblivious to it doesn't mean it wasn't going on, and the incidents now are publicized more than then but were probably A LOT MORE frequent than nowadays

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:48 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

After the chav/scum game last sunday, souness said that he and Kenny daglish had discussed the recent rise in racial incidents, and he said neither of them can remember anything like this happening when they were playing ……… are you fcuking kidding me ??? The 70s was probably one of the worst decades of racial incidents and abuse, and I am not talking specifically football either. `Being oblivious to it doesn't mean it wasn't going on, and the incidents now are publicized more than then but were probably A LOT MORE frequent than nowadays
So they don't remember John Barnes having bananas thrown at him? Fuck me - get back on the booze lads. Can't believe they said that :banghead: :banghead:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

augie wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:48 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

They can't remember Heysel in that club, so nothing surprises.

augie

Post by augie »

He got pulled up on the john barnes banana incidents, but he tried to make out that it only happened a couple of times :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:58 am
He got pulled up on the john barnes banana incidents, but he tried to make out that it only happened a couple of times :roll:
I distinctly remember Everton fans calling Liverpool “N*****pool” in songs when they signed Barnes.

At Arsenal I can only recall one isolated incident from a guy in the East Stand lower, who had a huge issue with Kevin Campbell and kept calling him a useless C**n.
After a couple of minutes abuse I stood up and shouted back “ I bet you wouldn’t call him that to his face you coward” - he shut up after that.

As whoever it was sat a few rows behind me, I was never exactly sure who it was but had my suspicions .

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

What really annoys me is when it is described as a ‘football’ problem generally, rather than pointing at the clubs who’s fans are shouting the filth. I can’t recall anything much at Highbury or the Bowl so why are we all targeted? Jump on the clubs incident by incident, particularly the Chavscum (remember the Paris train incident, Raheem Sterling etc) and punish them hard.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Getting the government involved is insane. An 18 month enquiry, millions pissed down the drain, then release a 50 page "Chilcott type report" stating that some clubs have a few racist supporters. Duh, really :? :? :?

These guys shouting this abuse are actual fans of the club, they are not going to games to look for a fight, they actually care about the team they support. They are fans, racist maybe, but still fans. So dock the club points...3 points the first time, 6 the next, and so on. The blokes around them will soon turn them in. That way only the club gets punished. The slack arsed FA need to implement this and actually do something for a change. Very quick to jump on Bulgaria and the racism in Europe but when it's at home, the government must deal with it???? Government enquiry is the last thing needed.

Isn't it ironic that Chelsea are the victims, arguably the most racist fans in London, if not the country.

augie

Post by augie »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:01 pm
augie wrote:
I distinctly remember Everton fans calling Liverpool “N*****pool” in songs when they signed Barnes.

At Arsenal I can only recall one isolated incident from a guy in the East Stand lower, who had a huge issue with Kevin Campbell and kept calling him a useless C**n.
After a couple of minutes abuse I stood up and shouted back “ I bet you wouldn’t call him that to his face you coward” - he shut up after that.

As whoever it was sat a few rows behind me, I was never exactly sure who it was but had my suspicions .

Am I right in saying that everton signed their first black player in the 1980s or 90s ? Dunno if it is true or not but I remember hearing it several times in the past

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

augie wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:03 pm
StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:

Am I right in saying that everton signed their first black player in the 1980s or 90s ? Dunno if it is true or not but I remember hearing it several times in the past
They had a player called Cliff Marshall in the 70s but the first black player they signed from another club was Daniel Amokachi in 1994. The story goes that Howard Kendall tried to sign a few players earlier and had done a deal for Dion Dublin in 1993 but the board myseriously refused to provide the funds at the last minute. This led to him resigning as he'd had enough.
Last edited by Perryashburtongroves on Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

augie wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:03 pm
StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:

A friend of mine is an Evertonion, he used to go to Goodison back in the day and told me that " Everton are White" was a common chant in the 80s

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Well racism in football Chelsea 70's and 80's had National Front selling a magazine called Bulldog outside the ground the way the Gooner and other fanzines around the country did in the heyday,it was open they Chelsea,had a fair amount of right wing followers.Not sure what they as a club did to eradicate it or the police.Paul Cannoville,he played for Chelsea and got monkey chants off his own 'fans'.

I started going to Arsenal early 80's and we had a diverse support then and black players,who were treated as they should be respected and supported guys like Caeser got stick because he was poor,not for any other reason.

Rewind before John Barnes and I remember Howard Gayle Liverpool,and he got plenty of abuse off his own fans and read between the lines I think he is a guy that knew what racism felt like in the dressing room.They had a few choice chants and I remember hearing 'we don't have n,,,,,, in the kop' some wit there,ffs :censored:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/ ... 50541.html

Friend home and away supporter told me of being at White Hart Lane,NLD and Alf Buskh was in charge turned us down for a stonewall pen early 90's .game was niggly and he copped a load of racist abuse 'get the p... off the pitch' our fans were singing started by a guy who was maybe still is always seen at games,stopped going 2013 so not sure.Black guy,Arsenal mad.

Remember Arsenal very multi-cultural following,Man City,Moss Side had some black fans,but outside London Birmingham City had a massive following of lads from areas like Small Heath and they were well up for anything.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Some of the first people to throw bananas at John Barnes when he joined Liverpool were Liverpool fans. They fucking hate to be reminded of that. :censored:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:20 pm
Some of the first people to throw bananas at John Barnes when he joined Liverpool were Liverpool fans. They fucking hate to be reminded of that. :censored:
They hate being reminded of a lot of things that shower of *word censored* DB They also love reminding us of other things over and over and fucking over..foul cretinous shower of bastarts that they are.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:05 pm
Well racism in football Chelsea 70's and 80's had National Front selling a magazine called Bulldog outside the ground the way the Gooner and other fanzines around the country did in the heyday,it was open they Chelsea,had a fair amount of right wing followers.Not sure what they as a club did to eradicate it or the police.Paul Cannoville,he played for Chelsea and got monkey chants off his own 'fans'.

I started going to Arsenal early 80's and we had a diverse support then and black players,who were treated as they should be respected and supported guys like Caeser got stick because he was poor,not for any other reason.

Rewind before John Barnes and I remember Howard Gayle Liverpool,and he got plenty of abuse off his own fans and read between the lines I think he is a guy that knew what racism felt like in the dressing room.They had a few choice chants and I remember hearing 'we don't have n,,,,,, in the kop' some wit there,ffs :censored:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/ ... 50541.html

Friend home and away supporter told me of being at White Hart Lane,NLD and Alf Buskh was in charge turned us down for a stonewall pen early 90's .game was niggly and he copped a load of racist abuse 'get the p... off the pitch' our fans were singing started by a guy who was maybe still is always seen at games,stopped going 2013 so not sure.Black guy,Arsenal mad.

Remember Arsenal very multi-cultural following,Man City,Moss Side had some black fans,but outside London Birmingham City had a massive following of lads from areas like Small Heath and they were well up for anything.
The NF tried selling them outside The Arsenal tube, but local lore said that the Bear and his chums soon gave them a visit.

I do remember them being sold at Paddington, and again actually inside the forecourt at Chelsea when i went in with mates from school.