other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by northbank123 »

BBC front page story. Journeyman football come somehow semi-respected pundit Jermaine Jenas can’t remember last time spurs didn’t play well but won.

They were utter garbage at Newcastle first day of the season and were very lucky to win with two great saves from Lloris and woodwork being struck twice. Poor against Fulham before Trippier pops up with a free kick to save them.

3-0 at Old Trafford hugely flattered them.

I’ll begrudgingly admit that they’re a good side but they get as much luck as anybody else.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Southampton's away kit looks like it should be ours. Similar design as our home top but blue sleeves and yellow body.
Seri looks like a quality player that maybe we should have bought in the summer.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:13 pm
BBC front page story. Journeyman football come somehow semi-respected pundit Jermaine Jenas can’t remember last time spurs didn’t play well but won.

They were utter garbage at Newcastle first day of the season and were very lucky to win with two great saves from Lloris and woodwork being struck twice. Poor against Fulham before Trippier pops up with a free kick to save them.

3-0 at Old Trafford hugely flattered them.

I’ll begrudgingly admit that they’re a good side but they get as much luck as anybody else.
Jenas..... file under yet another no mark ex-scum journeyman player that achieved nothing in the game now desperately trying to nail his colours to to the mast of a less than total shit scum team. Watch and laugh as it all burns down around his ears with 10 year career trophyless Poxychinos at the helm. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Southampton's away kit looks like it should be ours. Similar design as our home top but blue sleeves and yellow body.
Seri looks like a quality player that maybe we should have bought in the summer.
Haha first thing I thought too!

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i'll put Jenas down there with collymore, claridge, paul walsh, savage, burley, redknapp etc - all won nothing, know nothing.

i watched that united game - their two CB's were shocking. that was the only difference between two humdrum sides that huffed and puffed a lot but didn't really play with any flair or invention. we look so much better going forward than both.

Hazard aside, Chelsea are not that much better either.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I’m watching Hungary v Greece

Our new Greek defender is absolutely fucking shit.
What’s interesting about this match is that there are more people on the pitch thanin the stands :lol:

Nations League. :D not sure it’s going to catch on :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Just flicked on the England game and the band are playing “You Can Lick My Hole Again” by Atomic fucking Kitten.

FOOTBALL IS DEAD :banghead:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Went to the Ireland v Germany Under 21 game in Tallaght Stadium last night. Germany wiped the floor with Ireland winning 6-0 with ease. Yet someone behind me blamed the referee for ruining the game..Germany got and scored three penalties. First was slightly suspect , but if the ref gives a penalty for sliding in then to concede two more penalties for basically the same thing is a touch stupid.
One if the group behind me dared to suggest that Germany were superior everywhere on the pitch but while his friend agreed he again said "the ref ruined the game"....It was then compounded by one of them saying that Ireland should give all six subs a run as there was nothing to lose...It was a competitive game.. The Ireland senior team are poor but this under 21 team were devoid of ideas and talent.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 pm
Just flicked on the England game and the band are playing “You Can Lick My Hole Again” by Atomic fucking Kitten.

RIP Football..That is unforgivable.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 am
rodders999 wrote:

What’s the problem with that ?
Clever idea I would have thought.

They used to play 3 Lions at Euro 96

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:30 am
Went to the Ireland v Germany Under 21 game in Tallaght Stadium last night. Germany wiped the floor with Ireland winning 6-0 with ease. Yet someone behind me blamed the referee for ruining the game..Germany got and scored three penalties. First was slightly suspect , but if the ref gives a penalty for sliding in then to concede two more penalties for basically the same thing is a touch stupid.
One if the group behind me dared to suggest that Germany were superior everywhere on the pitch but while his friend agreed he again said "the ref ruined the game"....It was then compounded by one of them saying that Ireland should give all six subs a run as there was nothing to lose...It was a competitive game.. The Ireland senior team are poor but this under 21 team were devoid of ideas and talent.

Not a big fan of roddy collins or anything, but I have to say that I 100% agreed with what he said in the daily star Monday about the flaws in developing talent in this country - over here we have a system called ETP (emerging talent programme) where the best young players in each league are brought in to programmes where they get a "higher level of training" :roll: These coaches are all working off the same coaching manual so the best players in the country will be mirror images of each other - where is the concept of coaching someone who has that individual touch of class to bring that to the fore ? I have had 2 sons in this programme so I have seen first hand how robotic it all is :( What makes it all the worse is the cost involved - I dunno about other leagues, but in our league parents are charged €180 for the "privilege" of being selected for this squad. My eldest lad then made the squad for the Kennedy Cup (the largest inter-league tournament in europe) which was run over 5 days in limerick, and the parents had to raise close to €20k to fund that seasons training and tournament - there are a lot of parents of good kids that simply cannot afford the type of money involved, so some kids with real potential are being frozen out for financial reasons and I dont know how that promotes development of kids for the future.

I also know 2 parents of kids that were in the Ireland Under 14 development squad (cream of the cream) who were well thought of by the coaches involved, but suddenly those kids got squeezed out at international level as the fai recruited more declan rice type kids (qualify for Ireland but not born in Ireland), which of course forces out the kids growing up dreaming of playing for their country, and promote b.stards like jack grealish who after 5 years suddenly think that they are gonna make the england team :lol: :lol: :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 am
rodders999 wrote:

What’s the problem with that ?
Clever idea I would have thought.

They used to play 3 Lions at Euro 96
Three Lions was an unbelievably good football anthem, you're not comparing that to an Atomic Kitten song surely :shock:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

rodders999 wrote:

The xxxx rated video to that is fabulous btw

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Plenty of reasons why we are miles behind on developing talent but foremost amongst them is this obsession with making 11 year olds playing on full size pitches. What is the point?

It just perpetuates the problem of academies picking the best players at that age rather than the best players of the future. I Have played with a couple of kids who were first team U12 academy players because they were decent footballers but really strong and could kick a ball 40 yards. Shock horror when they are 16 and looking at youth football they struggle to get into a good semi-pro U19 side.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Nice to see our U21s give Coventry a good porking 3-0 at the Ricoh in the chekatrade trophy 8)