Chav$ Away 18/08 @17:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

Re: Chav$ Away 18/08 @17:30

Post by Eboue-Why? »

There are some positives but at the end of the day you have to be ruthless. Ozil, Bellerin, Xhaka...etc have to be sent packing

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i thought bellerin did well with Miti going forward, its just that he has zero positional sense and this 100% the ex managers fault.

there are 4-5 players that show no urgency to get back when we don't have the ball. Iwobi was outstanding at that today and justified his inclusion.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Another one of those games I didn't even realise Ozil was playing until he was substituted.

Some shocking misses in front of goal from us though. Glad Giroud missed that chance right at the end.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Frustrating to lose a game we should have easily won. Missing three clear goal scoring opportunities in the first half against Chelski is unforgiveable.

Emery made the right decisions by hooking both Ozil and Xhaka. Surprised Bellerin stayed on with Lichsteiner on the bench, given that the chelski players ran him ragged. He needs a player like Ray Parlour sitting in front of him to give him support Mkhi isn't that player.
I'm not keen on the playing out from the back as we are starting from the touchline, yes it opens up the pitch but we currently don't have the players to execute that system of play.

Second half we let Chelski have the play and get them on the break. It nearly worked as Chelski didn't waltz through us as easily, until Hazard came on. The next 8 games are winnable and we should be looking at 24 points after 10 games. Especially, if we play the way we did in the first half going forward.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Really disappointed to lose this one. Thought we did most things well but ultimately we defended disgracefully on 3 occasions and missed a hatful of sitters and you can't expect to get anything out of hard games like this doing that.

Still a hell of a fucking long way to go but there were a few positives today. That isn't a brilliant Chelsea side but mark my words we would have been swept away last year with our striker barely touching the ball.

Post by 1989 »

We're being carried by a 19 year old summer signing. Unbelievable.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

At the start of the season i said we would finish 6th and i still believe we will finish 6th. We dont have the players to finish anywhere near the top 4.You cant blame Emery for the failings of Wenger.And we now have an owner who wont splash the cash.Wolves and Fulham have spent more than us
It amazes me that some of our fans believed Emery can perform miracles with this squad. Until we have an owner who is willing to spend big money get used to us finishing 6th. Dont blame Emery he has been at the club 3 months its Wenger and Kroenke who have killed the club

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

shocking performance having said that we should have won with the chances we had in the first half :banghead:

Emery needs time but disappointed with what ive seen so far, there is no urgency, no defending just shocking all round

very disappointed

augie

Post by augie »

flash gunner wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 pm
shocking performance having said that we should have won with the chances we had in the first half :banghead:

Emery needs time but disappointed with what ive seen so far, there is no urgency, no defending just shocking all round

very disappointed

Not entirely true, but the urgency is clearly coming from the new (non wenker) signings - geundozi and torreira are non stop workers, and I like the way that sokritas is always nipping and biting at opposition attackers when they receive possession. I was (and still am) very much in the camp that wanted a complete clean out and reset button pressed, and that included selling the likes of ramsey, monreal, mustafi etc - no manager can come in and overnight change the mindset of players that have been of a lazy mindset under the previous regime.
I think that we need to be fair and reasonable of what we expect from emery and the team this season - earlier in the week I questioned whether he had the presence to take on the bigger personalities in the squad, but today he dropped ramsey and subbed ozil so I am encouraged by that 8) The defence and coaching in general has been neglected for years by le cock and his staff, and it will take a lot longer than 6 measly weeks for dick to sort that out - it encourages me though that dick is constantly hammering his players on the sideline when they are not doing their jobs, cos it sends a message that accepting second best is not an option

herbert

Post by herbert »

Play like we did in he last 20 minutes of the first half for the majority of the upcoming games and play leichstener at right back and make him club captain and we will do ok this season :barscarf:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

herbert wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:15 pm
Play like we did in he last 20 minutes of the first half for the majority of the upcoming games and play leichstener at right back and make him club captain and we will do ok this season :barscarf:
Play like we did for the rest of the game with or without Leichstner & we'll end up in the bottom 3. Relegation battle next week. The kid with the hair was our best player again. :barscarf: :barscarf:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Ray C wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:33 am
herbert wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:15 pm
Play like we did for the rest of the game with or without Leichstner & we'll end up in the bottom 3. Relegation battle next week. The kid with the hair was our best player again. :barscarf: :barscarf:
:lol:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Dare I say it, Cech actually had a good game. Or he had a PL goalkeepers normal game. There were a couple of good saves in there, notwithstanding the playing out of the back thing, he's been told to do it and is obviously not comfortable. Shot stopping....he did his job.

Tbh, their keeper was crap...

Midz

Post by Midz »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Not entirely true, but the urgency is clearly coming from the new (non wenker) signings - geundozi and torreira are non stop workers, and I like the way that sokritas is always nipping and biting at opposition attackers when they receive possession. I was (and still am) very much in the camp that wanted a complete clean out and reset button pressed, and that included selling the likes of ramsey, monreal, mustafi etc - no manager can come in and overnight change the mindset of players that have been of a lazy mindset under the previous regime.
I think that we need to be fair and reasonable of what we expect from emery and the team this season - earlier in the week I questioned whether he had the presence to take on the bigger personalities in the squad, but today he dropped ramsey and subbed ozil so I am encouraged by that 8) The defence and coaching in general has been neglected for years by le cock and his staff, and it will take a lot longer than 6 measly weeks for dick to sort that out - it encourages me though that dick is constantly hammering his players on the sideline when they are not doing their jobs, cos it sends a message that accepting second best is not an option
:barscarf:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

After 15 minutes i was pissed off, but the capitulation thankfully never happened, and at least we showed some fight. Given the chances we missed, we really should have won the game, but the problem is personnel. We looked good for a point, and then Lacazette pisses away possession, and can't be arsed to even try make amends :banghead: On top of that, we have so many weak links throughout the team. Bellerin is a walking disaster, gets caught out of position constantly, and can't cross for his life. In midfield, you have Xhaka, who looks busy by flying into tackles, but hasn't a clue how to play in his position properly. Then you have Ozil, how many times does this guy get to be shit, until it is said, enough is enough. He is a lazy bastard, who has a weird fanbase, unwilling to see his glaring faults. On a sidenote, i thought Iwobi was actually decent yesterday(though i still don't rate him). As others have said, we will finish around 6th this season, and if Emery wants to get a CL spot, we should be going all out for the EL. I don't expect us to be any sort of contenders again, until Emery can cleanse us of the Wenger deadwood.