West Ham -HOME - Sat. Aug 25th 3PM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ed Hunter The Gooner

Re: West Ham -HOME - Sat. Aug 25th 3PM

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

Very happy about the win but overall we were all over the place. Surely the starting XI has to change when we play against Cardiff, we were visibly more better after Laca and Torreira came in. But ffs Bellerin, his defending is so poor is fucking laughable. But, I'd claim that his attacking play seems to get better actually and he did create couple of good chances and of course assist to goal. Maybe there is hope after all but what I'd do is to play him as a winger and put Lich to LB. At least it would be worth a try.

Laca has to start up front, no question about it. Play Auba and Bellerin as wingers and Özil or Miki as number 10. I think that also Xhaka played much better alongside Torreira so maybe they should play together. I love Guendouzi already but he needs protection and Xhaka provides fuck all of that. So either Torreira and Guendouzi or Torreira and Xhaka.

I think Sokratis is actually quite decent CB and seems to get better step by step. Overall our defending is all over the place and needs to be solved asap. Also, where is that much talked pressing game as I haven't seen that basically at all?

But, happy about the win and hopefully we'll improve our game and keep on winning. The fuck up that was Wenger's last 10 years doesn't flush away just like that. We will need two or three transfer windows to make things right and I support Emery 100% to do that.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

We have a lack of wingers, but I think the answer on the right side could be Bellerin.

He is absolute shit at defending, let's get that straight. But I think he would make a decent right winger and would help Lichsteiner cover down that flank.

Thierry 3-8-99

Post by Thierry 3-8-99 »

Apart from the 20 minutes against Chelsea it's been a hard watch this transitory season. Saturday just illustrated how engrained shitness is in some of our players. You wouldn't see some of the play in the lower leagues.(the pissing about in defensive situations was unbelievable) Positives is that Emery is showing that he knows our inadequacies and is trying to change things in an inoffensive way i.e. giving game time to players who are just not good enough to compete at top level, then taking them off (Or at least I hope he is) - we are so used to watching ineffective/sub-standard play these days that however hard it is we must bide our time and sit tight - awaiting the Emery revolution :barscarf:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:34 pm
We have a lack of wingers, but I think the answer on the right side could be Bellerin.

He is absolute shit at defending, let's get that straight. But I think he would make a decent right winger and would help Lichsteiner cover down that flank.
:D :D Someone's talking sense at last. Now all we have to do is find one for the left hand side of the field. Monreal can't tackle either. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Ray C wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 am
Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:34 pm

:D :D Someone's talking sense at last. Now all we have to do is find one for the left hand side of the field. Monreal can't tackle either. :barscarf: :barscarf:
This is exactly what I was saying to my cousin last week. Move Bellerin forward, like Bale as he was a shit LB. On our left there is Iwobi, Welbeck and Kolasinac. However, that will mean a complete change in formation and leave no starting place for Ozil, Mhki or Ramsey. which may or may not be a good thing.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Just to be clear - Bellerin had two assists not one.

I would play him as a right midfielder in. 4-4-1-1

I like Ozil but I don’t see a position for him in our new system.

RB could be Guendozi when Torreira is alongside Ramsay.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:44 pm
Just to be clear - Bellerin had two assists not one.

I would play him as a right midfielder in. 4-4-1-1

I like Ozil but I don’t see a position for him in our new system.

RB could be Guendozi when Torreira is alongside Ramsay.
The first one was a pass straight to their keeper mate. If he hadn't spilled it right into Monreal's path it would never have led to a goal. His drag back to Welwide was superb though in fairness.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Saw a pic on Twitter of Ramsey picking up his player of the year award before , I presume, this game...Did anyone at the game see this?