Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

Post by Jock Gooner »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:10 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:45 am
Disagree, I think both Silva and Aguero are sturdy little fuckers, especially Aguero who does have a dirty side to his game.
Yeah but it's "sturdy" within context. Today's game is soft as shite. CHs very very seldom put in reducers, your average PL player is super fit and athletic, but light as fuck. In the modern game Aguero and Silva would be considered sturdy I agree but compared to that era Bergkamp delivered in they are total lightweights.

The difference is they are allowed play their game nowadays. Bergkamp (and any flair player of that generation) had to fight for the right to play their game and Bergkamp played his game at the highest technical and skill level. It's like comparing men and boys.
I reckon they would both have "flu" if they had to play wimbledon of the 90's

players used to take turns putting in tackles that would probably be straight reds today, and rotate until they got a yellow card.

Ron Atkinson used to even say on commentary "that guy needs a reducer" by which he meant hit him hard enough to take the sharpness out of his game/running out his legs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: defenders used to take being beat by a technical or faster player personal, they don't seem to "care" like they used to these days.

plus nearly every team used to have at least one "hardman" from my memory that was barely a footballer, and it was understood what he did.

A question though is Greatest Foreign Player in PL History also Greatest Player in PL History :?:

I was going to point out that the old Adams / Bouldy combo would have straightened out the argie fucker in 5 mins flat. As you said they'd each get a go at the CF before the ref even thought about a yellow....BUT you have seriously upped the stakes and played the Wimbledon card and you are spot on mate. If Man City today played Wimbledon of the late 80s/early 90s under 80s rules it would be a blood bath - Citeh wouldn't have any players left on the pitch after 20 mins :lol: