Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

Post by SydneyGooner »

phpBB [video]

Shearer thinks Aguero is the greatest import to come to the PL but for me he's still well behind Henry and Ronaldo. I don't think he's ever had a season as good as RvP or Suarez had during their last seasons for us and Liverpool respectively.

Craig Bellamy showing a lot of love for Arsenal here. :barscarf:

clockender1

Re: Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

Post by clockender1 »

Shearer is a tit. didn't some other bellend suggest it was Zola. :lol:

It has to be either Henry or Bergkamp. head says Henry, heart says Bergkamp.

and was Ronaldo as good at United as Overmars ? - I'd say not.

The Arsenal will never get the credit we deserve, which is fine. eff them all. :barscarf:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:57 pm
phpBB [video]

Shearer thinks Aguero is the greatest import to come to the PL but for me he's still well behind Henry and Ronaldo. I don't think he's ever had a season as good as RvP or Suarez had during their last seasons for us and Liverpool respectively.

Being thick as pigshit, Shearer, as is common in all polls, is favouring recent history over earlier times. It's why whatever's in the charts this month is always voted the best ever song.

Depends what is meant by 'greatest' but if it's achievements, Henry is the player.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:57 pm
phpBB [video]

Thanks for posting that Sydney, I found it interesting, both Pearce and Bellamy have a little bit of common sense.

No votes for Ozil ? :twisted:

augie

Post by augie »

Dennis Bergkamp is THE greatest "foreign" player to play in the pl bar none 8) I would actually say that it isnt even a close call.

All that being said, I would absolutely say that aguero is the second best foreign player in pl history - for years I have advocated that only messi and ronaldo should be higher than him in balon d'or, and it is one of the biggest disgrace's in english football history that aguero has NEVER been voted player of the year :evil: :evil:

Post by 1989 »

Henry
Bergkamp
Aguero
Vieira
Ronaldo
Keane
Silva
Hazard
RVN
De Gea

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Bergkamp or Cantona for their impact on their teams and for the fear they struck in to the opposition. Bergkamp was technically perfect in every single way, Cantona had talent and the power of personality. Zola was an over-rated ugly midget, the late 90s Suarez who won fuck all of any note in England. Just out of interest, why haven't we seen any debate about Eboue, Squilacci or Denilson?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bergkamp. All day. Every day. 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Bergkamp

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

flash gunner wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:57 am
Bergkamp
i thought he didn't mean it? :roll: :wink:

to me, best foreign import is a very complex question, i'd give more credit to players who arrived with smaller reputations that did the business over obvious future global superstars like aguero, suarez etc, seeing as any club would have signed them if they had the money

i think vieira and pires are worth a shout, even toure (kolo)

looking at other clubs, cantona and kompany have to be up there.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's Bergkamp.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

If its going by who had the best career while PLAYING IN the EPL, then Henry for me.

If it's who's the best player to ever have played in the EPL it's Ronaldo by a country mile. But his best seasons were at Madrid, not Man U.

augie

Post by augie »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:33 pm
If its going by who had the best career while PLAYING IN the EPL, then Henry for me.

If it's who's the best player to ever have played in the EPL it's Ronaldo by a country mile. But his best seasons were at Madrid, not Man U.

I honestly dont mean to be disrespectful here, and I know that I am gonna be lambasted for saying this, but take away henry's lightening pace and you would take away 50% of his game. Bergkamp and aguero had pure class running through their veins, and they had/have technical ability and natural finishing way above henry

I'm sorry

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm
I honestly dont mean to be disrespectful here, and I know that I am gonna be lambasted for saying this, but take away henry's lightening pace and you would take away 50% of his game. Bergkamp and aguero had pure class running through their veins, and they had/have technical ability and natural finishing way above henry

I'm sorry
Ok, so lets say you're offered Henry, Aguero or Bergkamp at their very best to be given as a gift to the current Arsenal team, who would you choose?

Henry for me all day long. The number of goals and assists he consistently racked up were incredible 8) Bergkamp was more technically gifted, but I'd still take Henry as he, in my opinion, made a bigger contribution per game played.

Just think though, Bergkamp and Henry played together! :barscarf: and had Pires and Vieira there too :o immense 8)

augie

Post by augie »

Personally I would take Bergkamp - Bergkamp behind abamuyeung would/could be as devastating a partnership as Bergkamp and henry imo. You put henry in this current team and you would still have the same creativity issues behind him with ozil and mikki drifting aimlessly about