Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

1989 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:48 pm
The more I watch Aguero, the more I think he has a claim to be honest. David Silva too.
Imagine if bergkamp played on today’s pitches and had as much protection from the referees and new rules

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:27 am
1989 wrote:
The more I watch Aguero, the more I think he has a claim to be honest. David Silva too.
Imagine if bergkamp played on today’s pitches and had as much protection from the referees and new rules
David Silva is a classy player but you can keep Aguero.....I'd take Wrighty over him every day of the week

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:33 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
1989 wrote:
David Silva is a classy player but you can keep Aguero.....I'd take Wrighty over him every day of the week

Aguero is absolutely different gravy, and a world class player on any day of the week. Silva, as good as he is/was, was never near aguero's class

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:29 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:33 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
1989 wrote:

Aguero is absolutely different gravy, and a world class player on any day of the week. Silva, as good as he is/was, was never near aguero's class

They are different beasts. Silva has a touch of class about him where as Aguero is a cheating Argie *word censored* who has been outscored in the PL in all but the 2014-15 season.

augie

Post by augie »

Still not over the falklands eh ? :wink: :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:45 pm
Still not over the falklands eh ? :wink: :lol:
:lol: What gave it away :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Both great players but neither Aguero nor Silva would have lasted a season in the PL when Bergkamp did 95 - 06. They would have been kicked out of their game and hotfooted it off to Europe.

Bergkamp delivered world class football at a time when flair players were given zero protection. He had to fight for the right to play every single game.

Even as technical players neither are near Bergkamp for pure technical skills and vision.

Agreed as a finisher I'd take Wrighty over Aguero every day of the week. Wrighty did it in a hard bastards league and often surrounded by utter shit like Harston, McGoldrick, and Hillier..... you put Aguero in a tough league like that with shit players beside him and he'd hit fuck all tbh.

Post by 1989 »

Disagree, I think both Silva and Aguero are sturdy little fuckers, especially Aguero who does have a dirty side to his game.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Disagree, I think both Silva and Aguero are sturdy little fuckers, especially Aguero who does have a dirty side to his game.
Yeah but it's "sturdy" within context. Today's game is soft as shite. CHs very very seldom put in reducers, your average PL player is super fit and athletic, but light as fuck. In the modern game Aguero and Silva would be considered sturdy I agree but compared to that era Bergkamp delivered in they are total lightweights.

The difference is they are allowed play their game nowadays. Bergkamp (and any flair player of that generation) had to fight for the right to play their game and Bergkamp played his game at the highest technical and skill level. It's like comparing men and boys.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:45 am
Yeah but it's "sturdy" within context. Today's game is soft as shite. CHs very very seldom put in reducers, your average PL player is super fit and athletic, but light as fuck. In the modern game Aguero and Silva would be considered sturdy I agree but compared to that era Bergkamp delivered in they are total lightweights.

The difference is they are allowed play their game nowadays. Bergkamp (and any flair player of that generation) had to fight for the right to play their game and Bergkamp played his game at the highest technical and skill level. It's like comparing men and boys.
I reckon they would both have "flu" if they had to play wimbledon of the 90's

players used to take turns putting in tackles that would probably be straight reds today, and rotate until they got a yellow card.

Ron Atkinson used to even say on commentary "that guy needs a reducer" by which he meant hit him hard enough to take the sharpness out of his game/running out his legs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: defenders used to take being beat by a technical or faster player personal, they don't seem to "care" like they used to these days.

plus nearly every team used to have at least one "hardman" from my memory that was barely a footballer, and it was understood what he did.

A question though is Greatest Foreign Player in PL History also Greatest Player in PL History :?:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:10 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

players used to take turns putting in tackles that would probably be straight reds today, and rotate until they got a yellow card.

Ron Atkinson used to even say on commentary "that guy needs a reducer" by which he meant hit him hard enough to take the sharpness out of his game/running out his legs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: defenders used to take being beat by a technical or faster player personal, they don't seem to "care" like they used to these days.

plus nearly every team used to have at least one "hardman" from my memory that was barely a footballer, and it was understood what he did.

A question though is Greatest Foreign Player in PL History also Greatest Player in PL History :?:
For me it's still Bergkamp. He regularly did things with the football that no other player did before or since. His vision and technical ability are on a different level. Only Henry for skill matches him but for vision and genius Bergkamp for me is out on his own. 8)

Even the best Dutch players at an informal dinner of legends all agreed the best of them was Bergkamp. That's some compliment given that reportedly the likes of Cryuff, van Basten, Koeman, Gullit, Rijkaard and Guus Hiddink among others were in attendance.

“Bergkamp, he had the finest technique".

https://www.ft.com/content/017c244e-d6d ... 00779e2340

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

does robbie savage count as foreign? :rubchin:

:barscarf:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

I don't understand a word he says .. does that count :lol:

Also... it's Bergkamp. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:21 am
does robbie savage count as foreign? :rubchin:

:barscarf:
Technically he is a different species....

Is Cunticus Nontalenticus a species? :rubchin:

It is now. 8)

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:28 am
AkneyGooner wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:10 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

For me it's still Bergkamp. He regularly did things with the football that no other player did before or since. His vision and technical ability are on a different level. Only Henry for skill matches him but for vision and genius Bergkamp for me is out on his own. 8)

Even the best Dutch players at an informal dinner of legends all agreed the best of them was Bergkamp. That's some compliment given that reportedly the likes of Cryuff, van Basten, Koeman, Gullit, Rijkaard and Guus Hiddink among others were in attendance.

“Bergkamp, he had the finest technique".

https://www.ft.com/content/017c244e-d6d ... 00779e2340
In the PL no question but I'd say Zidane had better technique than Bergkamp.