Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Greatest Foreign Player in PL History

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's Bergkamp.

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Assume Shearer rates himself as #1, since he makes the distinction of a foreign player? :rubchin:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Maybe unpopular on this site but for sheer impact Eric Cantona is ahead of DB10. He turned leeds into unlikely champions in '92 before the PL but then moved to Manure and elevated them beyond everyone else. It took a couple of season for DB10 to have major influence on the PL, however for longevity DB10 wins hands down.

But mentions must also go to Limpar, admittedly no PL years, Overmars was phenominal in two seasons. Why doesn't Vieira get a mention? Two league an cup doubles as well captaining the 49ers, throw in two more FA Cups for good measure.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:44 am
Personally I would take Bergkamp - Bergkamp behind abamuyeung would/could be as devastating a partnership as Bergkamp and henry imo. You put henry in this current team and you would still have the same creativity issues behind him with ozil and mikki drifting aimlessly about
Put Bergkamp behind anyone and that would make them a better striker. I would love DB10 join the Arsenal coaching staff and slap Ozil into the player he can become.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:57 pm
Maybe unpopular on this site but for sheer impact Eric Cantona is ahead of DB10. He turned leeds into unlikely champions in '92 before the PL but then moved to Manure and elevated them beyond everyone else. It took a couple of season for DB10 to have major influence on the PL, however for longevity DB10 wins hands down.

But mentions must also go to Limpar, admittedly no PL years, Overmars was phenominal in two seasons. Why doesn't Vieira get a mention? Two league an cup doubles as well captaining the 49ers, throw in two more FA Cups for good measure.
As in the discussion with Pearce and Bellamy it’s generally goalscorers that win the player of the year award and that get recognition as “greatest player”
Aguero may well go onto be the premier league greatest goalscorer, he is now 2 hat tricks behind Shearer’s record.

However, Henry was far more than just a goalscorer, he was a flair player, a provider for others, a dribbler, a scorer of fantastic individual goals as well as using his speed to burst through.

Bergkamp may well be the greatest team player / provider the premier league has had as well as the best technical player.

Vieira was a midfield powerhouse that like Keane performed over many, many seasons, both have to be mentioned as possibilities.

Schmeichal easily the best foreign goalkeeper, we would have won more titles and cup during those years we were head to head if it wasn’t for him.

I can understand the claims for Cantona - propelled Leeds to the top and transformed the sleeping giant of Manchester to dizzying heights of dominance.

We were absolutely blessed to have Bergkamp, Henry, Vieira, Pires, Ljungberg all playing together, all passionate about The Arsenal and giving us their absolute best seasons of their careers.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

It's Bergkamp you fucking clowns. :lol:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

I'm not saying it's Bergkamp

But it is Bergkamp :)

I really liked Zola, not sure if he was around long enough or won enough - but as a person and player I thought he had a bit of class about him.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:53 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:57 am
Bergkamp
i thought he didn't mean it? :roll: :wink:

to me, best foreign import is a very complex question, i'd give more credit to players who arrived with smaller reputations that did the business over obvious future global superstars like aguero, suarez etc, seeing as any club would have signed them if they had the money

i think vieira and pires are worth a shout, even toure (kolo)

looking at other clubs, cantona and kompany have to be up there.
maybe he didn't but its still Bergkamp.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Henry or Drogba have to be up there in the top 5

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

ITS HENRY !
by a mile …...

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

Bergkamp without any question of a doubt......the man had everything. I would also say the best player i have ever seen in an Arsenal shirt, worth the ticket price just to watch the genius at work .

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:11 pm
Henry, the only player I have ever seen get applauded by away fans, made goals by himself out of nothing, unplayable, genius!

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
It's Henry :wink:

what about Roy Keane? he's a Johnny foreigner isn't he? :?

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:43 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
It's Henry :wink:

what about Roy Keane? he's a Johnny foreigner isn't he? :?

Or as many of us Irish refer to him, he is a dirty judas b..stard :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Bergkamp.....Henry completed a change of style at Arsenal...Bergkamp began it..