Cardiff City away match fred

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: Cardiff City away match fred

Post by Nos89 »

I almost feel sorry for Cech as he clearly is not a ball playing goal keeper, and never has been. The question I'd raise is why do the CB's persist in passing back to him when they are being pressed by the forwards? They should be passing or clearing the ball up-field not passing it back.
Only seen highlights on MOTD 2 but its troubling seeing a team like Cardiff create so many opportunities against us. I'm not convinced that this style of play will actually help us mount a challenge for top 6, we are conceding too many goals 8 in 4 games. Not all down to Cech, but the players in front of him making the same stupid mistakes they did under wenger.
We may have a good few games non top 6 games coming up but Palace, Watford and Newcastle are more than capable of putting us away with our defence.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:05 am
I almost feel sorry for Cech as he clearly is not a ball playing goal keeper, and never has been. The question I'd raise is why do the CB's persist in passing back to him when they are being pressed by the forwards? They should be passing or clearing the ball up-field not passing it back.
Only seen highlights on MOTD 2 but its troubling seeing a team like Cardiff create so many opportunities against us. I'm not convinced that this style of play will actually help us mount a challenge for top 6, we are conceding too many goals 8 in 4 games. Not all down to Cech, but the players in front of him making the same stupid mistakes they did under wenger.
We may have a good few games non top 6 games coming up but Palace, Watford and Newcastle are more than capable of putting us away with our defence.

I thought that it was very noticeable in the second half, that sokritas would not pass the ball back to cech - there were a few occasions that he was under pressure and should absolutely have passed it back to his keeper, but instead he chose to "welly it" up the pitch :lol:
I'm wondering if dick persists with cech much longer, whether it will lead to 2 different factions within the dressing room - we have a number of players that only joined within the last 12-18 months and I suspect that they wouldnt feel too much loyalty to cech, and they wont be happy if cech continues to make errors if they believe leno is a good keeper. I suppose that I am thinking especially of the players that we signed from the german league (sokritas, bangbang etc) who will have seen and played against leno numerous times and might want him as first choice

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Anyone would think Leno was some kind of goalkeeping superstar - he is not, he is a competent goalkeeper from the Bundisliga.

I thought Cech made a couple of good saves yesterday. Long term he might be replaced, who knows but for me the bigger problem is the defence which sits in front of him. That could take another year or two to sort out.

Hopefully Torreira will be able to start soon - I think he will make a bigger difference than bringing a new goalkeeper in.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:40 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:17 am
We need to play Lucas Torriea (sp?), Lichtensteiner and anyone who enjoys a bit of leg biting, Warnock will tell his players to kick us to death.

1 - 5 to the Gunners. URA :barscarf:
Holy humping shit where you been buddy?
I got "Sectioned" for 2 weeks (yeah I know) :? . All good now on the ole "calm down laaa" pills (what my GP refers to as Mood PIlls :roll: )

Went to the game today and didn't get in any fights so they must be working.

For now.
Glad to hear you're all better now man. And great to have you back on here. 8)

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:25 am
Anyone would think Leno was some kind of goalkeeping superstar - he is not, he is a competent goalkeeper from the Bundisliga.

I thought Cech made a couple of good saves yesterday. Long term he might be replaced, who knows but for me the bigger problem is the defence which sits in front of him. That could take another year or two to sort out.

Hopefully Torreira will be able to start soon - I think he will make a bigger difference than bringing a new goalkeeper in.

In the last few minutes a ball was floated over our back 4 about 8 yards out, and cech hesitated and allowed their lumbering centre half to reach the ball first, and then looked shocking as he basicallywas scrambling around on his knee's trying to block the cross :oops: :oops: :oops:

There is also no excuse for his effort at passing the ball at when he kicked it to arter in the first few minutes - I know people say that he isnt used to playing out from the back ( :blah: :blah: ), but a 10 year old kid wouldnt try to make that pass, much less make an absolute balls out of it like he did. I would bring back almunia rather than look at this helmet head chav in goals for even a minute longer :roll: :censored:

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Gunner Rob wrote:

My thoughts entirely. Some of the comments on here slating Cech are ridiculous. Yes, he has made some mistakes passing out from the back and it is clearly a different way of playing for him.
He is changing his game to suit the way Emery wants to play, much the same way that the rest of the team are doing but when someone like Aubs misses sitters against Chelsea, i don't hear the same people calling for him to be dropped.
Cech has made many top class saves already this season, in keeping the score down against City and keeping us in the game against Chelsea and West Ham but some forget that very easily.
The bigger issue is the defence or lack of it in front of him, who don't offer much protection at all.
Some also seem to think that putting Leno in goal is the be all and end all and that he is some world class keeper who is going to solve all the problems.
Cech is a decent keeper and deserves a chance to change his game to suit the manager.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:05 am
Been like this for years it is just that we are playing it out from the back more now. I certainly remember in previous seasons the team doing exactly this and to be honest all it does is waste time. Most times it ended with the defender being pressed, passing it back to Cech who boots it upfield which is what he should have done in the first place.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

SPARKSY wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:03 am
Gunner Rob wrote:

My thoughts entirely. Some of the comments on here slating Cech are ridiculous. Yes, he has made some mistakes passing out from the back and it is clearly a different way of playing for him.
He is changing his game to suit the way Emery wants to play, much the same way that the rest of the team are doing but when someone like Aubs misses sitters against Chelsea, i don't hear the same people calling for him to be dropped.
Cech has made many top class saves already this season, in keeping the score down against City and keeping us in the game against Chelsea and West Ham but some forget that very easily.
The bigger issue is the defence or lack of it in front of him, who don't offer much protection at all.
Some also seem to think that putting Leno in goal is the be all and end all and that he is some world class keeper who is going to solve all the problems.
Cech is a decent keeper and deserves a chance to change his game to suit the manager.
Half decent...at an absolute stretch. I would say he is the weakest keeper in the PL. Playing out from the back is far from his only problem..... he has been sub standard from the moment he arrived...Jose is not going to give Wenger a world class keeper is he??

augie

Post by augie »

SPARKSY wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Stop ffs - the leaning tower of pisa will get down quicker than helmet head :roll: :oops: :oops:

Some seem to think that the criticism of him is hasty, but he has been largely shit for 2 seasons now, and it is embarrassing for a club of our stature to have a past it 36 year old in our goals :oops: :oops:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The guy has snail like reactions, no agility and goes down in installments. The manager wants us to play out from the back starting with the keeper yet my 3 year old is more comfortable with the ball at her feet than that fuking chav has been in the scrumcap.

The aim is to start our attack from the keeper, the only attacks that fucking dullard is involved in are the opposition’s. He’s been haunted so far this season that he hasn’t scored a laughably pathetic OG against City or given an assist to Arter yesterday. In every game he’s played he has given the shits to an already dodgy defense every time the ball is at his feet.

The guy shouldn’t be near the first team but if he’s inexplicably kept in goal an absolute cluster fuck goal is coming in the next few games. GAURANTEED.

How anyone can defend him and feel it’s ok to have him starting (ahead of anyone) is fucking beyond me.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I just can't get my head round what Cech is thinking when he fucks about with the ball. Surely to Christ as soon as he gets the ball in a position where he is thinking "don't like this" he should just stick his foot through the ball and clear it. It's not rocket science is it but as per the above comment he is only a game or two away from that clusterfuck of a goal. Whether it comes from a pass to an opposition forward or just by sticking it in his own net who knows :shock:

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:41 am
The guy has snail like reactions, no agility and goes down in installments. The manager wants us to play out from the back starting with the keeper yet my 3 year old is more comfortable with the ball at her feet than that fuking chav has been in the scrumcap.

The aim is to start our attack from the keeper, the only attacks that fucking dullard is involved in are the opposition’s. He’s been haunted so far this season that he hasn’t scored a laughably pathetic OG against City or given an assist to Arter yesterday. In every game he’s played he has given the shits to an already dodgy defense every time the ball is at his feet.

The guy shouldn’t be near the first team but if he’s inexplicably kept in goal an absolute cluster fuck goal is coming in the next few games. GAURANTEED.

How anyone can defend him and feel it’s ok to have him starting (ahead of anyone) is fucking beyond me.

People can try to defend cech and blame dick for playing a system that doesnt suit him, but there is no excuse for his pathetic effort with the ball at his feet - a cripple with one leg would do far better with the ball at his foot, than this donkey is doing this season. For a professional footballer to be this shit at an increasingly important part of a goalkeepers game is truly a disgrace, and if outfield players are expect to learn new skills and responsibilities, then I dont see why this helmet head plank should be any different :roll:
Tbh I dont know yet if leno is good enough or not, but cech is definitely not good enough and should be out of the first team already

GTG

Post by GTG »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:57 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:41 am

People can try to defend cech and blame dick for playing a system that doesnt suit him, but there is no excuse for his pathetic effort with the ball at his feet - a cripple with one leg would do far better with the ball at his foot, than this donkey is doing this season. For a professional footballer to be this shit at an increasingly important part of a goalkeepers game is truly a disgrace, and if outfield players are expect to learn new skills and responsibilities, then I dont see why this helmet head plank should be any different :roll:
Tbh I dont know yet if leno is good enough or not, but cech is definitely not good enough and should be out of the first team already
Dick will be to blame if he persists with it mate. He picks the team and we've all seen more than enough now to know it won't work with Cech in the net. If he still feels that Cech is the better keeper of the two then he either has to abandon playing out from the back or at least tell Cech look if it aint on just put your foot through it. If he is adamant that we play out from the back put the goalie in that the club spent a large chunk of our budget on.

Speaking of what we spent money on its also going to be criminal if Torreira doesn't start playing games.... hes miles and away better than our other central midfielders if Dick wants to persist with Xhaka then play him, Torreira and Ghendouzi. Xhaka will be less of a liability further up the pitch and does have an eye for a pass. With the other 2 also in midfield it might put less reliance on our luxury players to have to cover the full backs all the time.

Watching Bellerin up close and personal yesterday, he really was poor. For some reason he always faces backwards when he receives the ball and his lack of desire to get close to his man and block crosses is appalling. I don't give a toss whether he claps the fans at the end of games he needs dropping from that team because the guy is either shot for confidence or on easy street.

The Ramsey stuff on here is really getting embarrassing now. Sure he could do a lot better but some people must have been watching a different game to me yesterday. If hes bad i'll say so but he wasn't yesterday.
Last edited by GTG on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Watched the edited highlights from MOTD bit like Pravda but there are a few things wrong with this tactic of passing the ball back....
1 The goalkeeper resembles Bambi
2 And we have a poor defence that cannot work out what Cechs standing foot is?

Honestly MOTD took the right piss, thank fuck Watford smashed the scum, hi de hi folks!..... :barscarf:
Looking forward to the Watford home game, let's hope we improve defensively by then.... :rubchin:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

SPARKSY wrote:
i think Dick is giving them all a chance to change their games. i think he told them that on day one. Cech, Xhaka, Ozil, Mustafi, etc that he'd give them a fair crack.

i also think the passing back to Cech has to be better, put it on his playing side and the other defenders have to show for him.

btw i read yesterday that the reason Torreira is not starting is because his English was non existent. Though apparently now he can understand some basic instructions during the game but only Nacho, Ozil and Bellend speak spanish.

i dunno, i guess it must be difficult to understand other players quick shouts under the pressure during the match. :rubchin:

I would expect that he's included in the Uruguay squad to play in Mexico at the weekend ? - that might mean he doesn't start again at Newcastle but maybe home v Everton ?