Cech-in or Petr-out

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Cech-in or Petr-out

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:02 pm

So you are also going down the route of using the opinions of a few to try and dismiss the opinions of many ?? You tell me who is better qualified to judge a player ................ a fan that goes to watch his team week after week, or a pundit who maybe watches said player a handful of times a season ? Of course there are many numpties that go support their team every week but havent got a scooby doo what they are talking about, but likewise there are many pundits who also fit into that bracket (although souness is a good pundit imo).
I agree with what northbank said in that cech is a decent keeper but is no longer at the required level for a club of our stature and supposed ambitions, and at 36 years of age he wont be at that level ever again
What the fuck is going on in this forum? That Blade mong seems to have set a precedent where posters just take the OPINION of a semi-famous footballer or coach or pundit as gospel and quote it as all the proof their argument needs. :oops: :roll:

Never mind Jesus wept - he's fucking inconsolable now ffs. :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Understand how people might think Cech gets an unfairly tough ride.

But the bloke was absolutely imperious at his best for Chelsea, before his head injury. Anybody suggesting that after acknowledging he’s had a tough start to the season and despite at least two indifferent seasons he can somehow be proclaimed to be back towards that level is taking the piss.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:27 pm
Understand how people might think Cech gets an unfairly tough ride.

But the bloke was absolutely imperious at his best for Chelsea, before his head injury. Anybody suggesting that after acknowledging he’s had a tough start to the season and despite at least two indifferent seasons he can somehow be proclaimed to be back towards that level is taking the piss.
For me Cech would probably still be in the Top 5 or 6 Keepers in the PL. But that is more an indictment of the dearth of really top class Keepers in the modern game rather than a testament to his ability in the twilight of his career.

He was a superb keeper for the chav and he won the golden gloves with us in his first season but he has regressed terribly over the last 2 seasons.

He's past his best. His reactions have slowed. Physically he struggles to get to low shots. He is a disaster waiting to happen with the ball at his feet and so does not suit our current play from the back ethos. He is simply not good enough anymore for this new era under Dick and should now be back up to Leno.

Having said that I'd still take him as he is now ahead of the utter shit we've had like Chesney Almunia and Flappy. But is being less shit than some previous shit keepers enough? Should we be setting our ambitions and expectations that low under a new manager? I don't think so.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Cech out.....well for about a month anyway. Now we get a chance to have a proper look at the new boy for a few weeks.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ernd-leno/

Post by 1989 »

Augie's prayers answered :lol:

Time for Leno to cement the position.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Leno ain't world class by any stretch but he is better than Cech. Just as commanding in his area, just as good a shot stopper, but more agile and far far better with the ball at his feet.

Leno has to be our number one now with Cech on the bench when he comes back. Keepers are a bit like strikers in that a big part of their game is confidence and the only way to build confidence is game time. The more Leno plays the more he will pass Cech out.

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:47 pm
Augie's prayers answered :lol:

Time for Leno to cement the position.

8) :barscarf: :barscarf:

Sean

Post by Sean »

With Cech finally retiring soon, I'd have thought that SteveO would be celebrating here 8) :barscarf: :lol:

We got him when he was past his best (that nightmare debut against West Ham set the tone) and he shouldn't have been given a four year contract to start with. If only we'd have bought him when Chelsea did. I was glad that Leno was finally given a shot after the first month, though our shite defence isn't helping matters.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Can we not send the useless old Chavski *word censored* back to his club to see out is final days as a player? Sure he and his adoring chav fans would like nothing better.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm
Can we not send the useless old Chavski *word censored* back to his club to see out is final days as a player? Sure he and his adoring chav fans would like nothing better.
Exactly what I thought the minute I heard he was packing in mate..get him to fuck now and get him off the wage bill the useless *word censored*

augie

Post by augie »

100% agree lads - when I look to the future, his impending retirement is one of the very few positives ahead. Get rid of the old c.unt now please

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:41 pm
With Cech finally retiring soon, I'd have thought that SteveO would be celebrating here 8) :barscarf: :lol:

We got him when he was past his best (that nightmare debut against West Ham set the tone) and he shouldn't have been given a four year contract to start with. If only we'd have bought him when Chelsea did. I was glad that Leno was finally given a shot after the first month, though our shite defence isn't helping matters.
Hi Sean. You havent been on here in a while?
Welcome back mate. 8)

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Basically came to the Arsenal to top us his pension and to stay in London for his kids education, way past his best, fucking Chav reject

Wenger ran the club like a fucking Charity...Socalist wage structure, what a wanker

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 pm
Basically came to the Arsenal to top us his pension and to stay in London for his kids education, way past his best, fucking Chav reject

Wenger ran the club like a fucking Charity...Socalist wage structure, what a wanker
Too bloody right - this useless prick was 2 years past his sell by date when we signed him. I remember talk at the time of him being the world class keeper we needed to mount a title challenge and arguing with just about everyone on here who chose to ignore error after error in the hope he really was great. The first game against West Ham summed it up - fucking awful from the first game to the last. A Chelsea legend and an Arsenal comedy story. Up there with Silvestre in a list of useless has been c.unts to have worn the shirt

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:26 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Too bloody right - this useless prick was 2 years past his sell by date when we signed him. I remember talk at the time of him being the world class keeper we needed to mount a title challenge and arguing with just about everyone on here who chose to ignore error after error in the hope he really was great. The first game against West Ham summed it up - fucking awful from the first game to the last. A Chelsea legend and an Arsenal comedy story. Up there with Silvestre in a list of useless has been c.unts to have worn the shirt
Now as if to take the piss, after fucking using our great club, he's off back to Chavs as they have a role lined up for him...fucking slag