Cech vs Xhaka - Our weakest link?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

The weakest link

Cech
52%
Xhaka
48%

Total votes: 23

northbank123

Re: Cech vs Xhaka - Our weakest link?

Post by northbank123 »

DarylAFC wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 pm
Been saying for a while now that Xhaka is under rated. Not world class by any means, but I'd still have him in the starting 11.
What is it that you think he does well for a CM at this level?

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

Currently Xhaka no doubt. Against better rated teams, should he give away possession of the ball within our final third, we will be severely punished by better teams.

I hope he can still be coached out of his current malaise and the general feeling I have of discomfort when he is on the ball within our half.
However as with Cech, there might still the first indication is is becoming better.

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

northbank123 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:56 am
DarylAFC wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 pm
Been saying for a while now that Xhaka is under rated. Not world class by any means, but I'd still have him in the starting 11.
What is it that you think he does well for a CM at this level?
He's a threat going forward and he's not afraid if a tackle. I think a lot of his bookings came down to his reputation more than the actual offence. Before he even kicked a ball for us all the medua could go on about was his "poor discipline".

Not saying he's a saint nor am I saying he's amazing, but I don't thinkhe's anywhere near as bad as people make out.

Post by 1989 »

bergkamp10 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:27 pm
Currently Xhaka no doubt. Against better rated teams, should he give away possession of the ball within our final third, we will be severely punished by better teams.

I hope he can still be coached out of his current malaise and the general feeling I have of discomfort when he is on the ball within our half.
However as with Cech, there might still the first indication is is becoming better.
Mustafi has made himself a strong contender over the last few games.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Well Cech is out for a while so it's Xhaka/Mustafi/Bellerin/Ramsey.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Calamity Cech showed the other night why he is now the worst liability in the team. GK is a vital and risk laden role in any team.

Xhaka is often just useless but seldom has his mistakes directly cost us a goal (diving Zaha penno incident notwithstanding) but Calamity Helmet Head will cost us a game and it's arguable he already has cost us a couple over the last few seasons. And he is only getting older and slower and shittier.

Leno must start every PL game now and tbh I'd bump the third choice keeper up over Kryten Features for the cups.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

xhaka is worth being in the team, just for his free kicks - two already this year i think.

i'd rather have him over Ramsay. that kid is such a disappointment.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

You won’t find many people more negative about the plodder Xhaka but no question id rather see his name ahead of Cech. He is a walking calamity and a goal waiting to happen.

Post by 1989 »

Cech has won the votes, and in fairness he's no longer a starter so he's redundant in this discussion. 8)

It's between Mustafi and Mkhitaryan now. :D

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

1989 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:52 am
Cech has won the votes, and in fairness he's no longer a starter so he's redundant in this discussion. 8)

It's between Mustafi and Mkhitaryan now. :D

I think Xhaka is back on the list, Cech is on his way down but was a solid keeper in years gone by, Xhaka is probably as good as he is going to get. he does have a nice outball to start attacks and he does have a decent freekick, but the ammount of counter attacks against us he starts is just not worth it.

I normally count two criminal things he does a game, it is just too many for a player his age. I look at Dozi and he maybe does a criminal pass one in two games, and he is still learning.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

I'm sure most of you have seen this but made me giggle :lol:

https://twitter.com/kristian597/status/ ... 63296?s=12

gooner.sg

Post by gooner.sg »

Xhaka for me. Responsible for at least 5 direct mistakes leading to opposition scoring a goal this season.

Yes, his strengths are in his passing range, yet he takes one too many touches and is constantly exposed by high pressing teams. Teammates have to bail him out time and time again. Quite frustrating to watch.