Biggest Waste of Talent in Wenger Era

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Biggest Waste of Talent in Wenger Era

Bendtner
6%
Walcott
8%
Vela
6%
Oxlade-Chamberlain
14%
Diaby
11%
Senderos
3%
Pennant
3%
Denilson
No votes
Szczesny
19%
Wilshere
31%

Total votes: 36

augie

Re: Biggest Waste of Talent in Wenger Era

Post by augie »

If he was on this list of options I would have voted for arshavin and I wouldnt need to even consider anyone else, but given the list of players available to choose it was a straight choice between the ox and chesney for me. In the end I voted for chesney cos I feel that he should have been our number 1 keeper for years if he had a proper manager/mentor to keep him focused - with choices like the ox and wilshere people can point to injuries derailing their progress with us (this should in no way negate wenger's shocking role in their lack of development btw), but chesney had absolute ability and didnt have fitness issues so he gets my vote

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am
If he was on this list of options I would have voted for arshavin and I wouldnt need to even consider anyone else, but given the list of players available to choose it was a straight choice between the ox and chesney for me. In the end I voted for chesney cos I feel that he should have been our number 1 keeper for years if he had a proper manager/mentor to keep him focused - with choices like the ox and wilshere people can point to injuries derailing their progress with us (this should in no way negate wenger's shocking role in their lack of development btw), but chesney had absolute ability and didnt have fitness issues so he gets my vote
Most keepers are "good shot stoppers" it's a classic goalkeeping cliche but the top Keepers have that something extra and it's usually in their head. GK is a weird job. Stand there for ages and then suddenly be expected to deal with everything thrown at you in a few hectic moments of time. The best keepers have that level of mental strength that's needed to do it. Chesney never had that and you cannot blame Wenger for that in my book.

People now pointing to him being first choice in a league that is not as demanding for keepers as the PL but I guarantee he won't be first choice this time next year.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Vela

Post by 1989 »

augie wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am
Szczesny is now Juventus number 1. Always had the talent and I've wanted him back but oh well. Least we've got Leno now.

Rush

Post by Rush »

this list is a bit off... biggest waste of talent by the player or by le manager the great?

Ade not on the list but would be among my pic - shouldve been our Drogba

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Abou is obviously head and shoulders above the lot of them in terms of ability but it was injuries rather than Shit for Brains (for once) that ruined his talents

The Ox is the one for me - I watched a young guy join the club with the build of a man already at 18 and the confidence to match. There was a spell when he'd come on and turn games but the following week he'd be shunted back to the bench to accomodate one of SFB's love children like Twirly - seeing that c.unt playing down the right with no pace or ability to beat a man while the Ox sat gathering splinters in his arse was shameful

Finally decided to see him off by playing him at left wing back. Thank god that c.unt has fucked off.....

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am
Abou is obviously head and shoulders above the lot of them in terms of ability but it was injuries rather than Shit for Brains (for once) that ruined his talents

The Ox is the one for me - I watched a young guy join the club with the build of a man already at 18 and the confidence to match. There was a spell when he'd come on and turn games but the following week he'd be shunted back to the bench to accomodate one of SFB's love children like Twirly - seeing that c.unt playing down the right with no pace or ability to beat a man while the Ox sat gathering splinters in his arse was shameful

Finally decided to see him off by playing him at left wing back. Thank god that c.unt has fucked off.....
I agree with you about Diaby. If it weren't for injuries he would've been as good as Yaya Touré was in his prime. Hell even Pogba rated Diaby ahead of himself. :shock:

Also it's high time you changed your avatar mate. :wink: Dear Leader Wenger is long gone now. :barscarf:

Nick Bendtners Ego

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

Where's poor old Pat Rice on the list :?:
Surely worth more than putting out cones and doing Weekend at Bernie's impressions!

See SteveO has used his vote plus two aliases in Diaby's three votes to shout his case :wink:

As has been mentioned a few times now, the enigma that is/was Arshavin would have got my vote. Remember being in company with a few gooners 6 years ago or so and pretty much saying Wenger has fcuked up his career and asking did anyone agree........Stonewalled with silence and not even deemed debatable. That impressive early start in his Arsenal career was just a glimpse of what could have been. Came to us as player of the tournament in the Euros, was on fire for half a season and then he just seemed to drift and lose interest as time wore on under Wenger. We got him at his peak and Wenger was unable to harness that almost free-spiritedness into any longevity and became a shadow of the player he should have been. If I remember correctly he was an intelligent guy who was interested in politics and fashion and had written a book or two. He said upon leaving The Arsenal that if he had stayed that the monotony of the club would have bored him to death( Or something to that effect) As an intelligent man and player, the training, or lack of, the tikka takka sideways, backways turgid football, the lack of ambition within the club and the lack of man management skills of a pseudo ambitious manager would have just eaten away at a guy who obviously needed the stimulation of a Manager who was not afraid to man manage properly and use him as a focal point of the team instead of rotating him with the likes of Bentdner for left-sided positions. As time wore on under Wenger he always looked apathetic to me as opposed to pathetic. File under ......... Coulda/Shoulda

Post by 1989 »

Rush wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:30 am
this list is a bit off... biggest waste of talent by the player or by le manager the great?
By player or manager or a combination of both. It's a general discussion.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am

Don't forget the had that minutes played bonus we had to pay to southampton if he played over 60 mins or whatever so Wenger used to haul him off or make him sub. part of Wenger decent to madness.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Nick Bendtners Ego wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:39 pm
Where's poor old Pat Rice on the list :?:
Surely worth more than putting out cones and doing Weekend at Bernie's impressions!

See SteveO has used his vote plus two aliases in Diaby's three votes to shout his case :wink:

As has been mentioned a few times now, the enigma that is/was Arshavin would have got my vote. Remember being in company with a few gooners 6 years ago or so and pretty much saying Wenger has fcuked up his career and asking did anyone agree........Stonewalled with silence and not even deemed debatable. That impressive early start in his Arsenal career was just a glimpse of what could have been. Came to us as player of the tournament in the Euros, was on fire for half a season and then he just seemed to drift and lose interest as time wore on under Wenger. We got him at his peak and Wenger was unable to harness that almost free-spiritedness into any longevity and became a shadow of the player he should have been. If I remember correctly he was an intelligent guy who was interested in politics and fashion and had written a book or two. He said upon leaving The Arsenal that if he had stayed that the monotony of the club would have bored him to death( Or something to that effect) As an intelligent man and player, the training, or lack of, the tikka takka sideways, backways turgid football, the lack of ambition within the club and the lack of man management skills of a pseudo ambitious manager would have just eaten away at a guy who obviously needed the stimulation of a Manager who was not afraid to man manage properly and use him as a focal point of the team instead of rotating him with the likes of Bentdner for left-sided positions. As time wore on under Wenger he always looked apathetic to me as opposed to pathetic. File under ......... Coulda/Shoulda
Arshavin was a very very good player, such a shame.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

One name a mate of mine always throws into this discussion is Merse. For me though I think Wenger got that one right. We had Merson's best years out of him and by the time Wenger arrived Merson was in decline. Making room for the Petit / Vieira combo was one of the key decisions that won that 98 Double.

Also I think Wenger sussed that Merson was a chav fan and promptly fucked him off. :D :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 am
One name a mate of mine always throws into this discussion is Merse. For me though I think Wenger got that one right. We had Merson's best years out of him and by the time Wenger arrived Merson was in decline. Making room for the Petit / Vieira combo was one of the key decisions that won that 98 Double.

Also I think Wenger sussed that Merson was a chav fan and promptly fucked him off. :D :wink:
At the time I was disappointed we let Merse go, he had some good games for Boro and Villa but nowhere near consistent enough to justify keeping him over getting Anelka or Overmars.
We had Bergkamp the best no10 there was, his combination with Wright was fantastic so need place for Merse up front- Parlour’s engine was better for the team, so as it turned out it was the right desicion for the team - which strangely Wenker was so reluctant to make in the latter years of his despotic reign.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Merson’s book said Wenger asked him to stay but he left as Boro offered him twice as much money.

Genuinely can’t remember if he said he regretted leaving and missing out on the double. Far too many references to lager tops and putting on accumulators - complete self-proclaimed legend.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 am

Tbf he got most of his early decisions right, even letting Wrighty go!
Ahh how absence makes the heart grow fonder :lol: :wink: