Biggest Waste of Talent in Wenger Era

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Biggest Waste of Talent in Wenger Era

Bendtner
6%
Walcott
8%
Vela
6%
Oxlade-Chamberlain
14%
Diaby
11%
Senderos
3%
Pennant
3%
Denilson
No votes
Szczesny
19%
Wilshere
31%

Total votes: 36

Re: Biggest Waste of Talent in Wenger Era

Post by 1989 »

augie wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:02 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:45 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:06 pm
goonertone wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:07 pm
Jose Reyes is worth a shout
The Neville brothers and scholes saw off Reyes not Wenger
So did Thierry Henry, always used to give Reyes shit on the pitch if the ball didn't come his way.

Personally, I wouldn't class Reyes as a failure, he scored some pearlers (one vs chelski on his debut) and had he 1 been a bit younger, 2 settled in London he may well have been a player we talk about with the same fondness as Bobby Pires.

100% agree with that - henry was a bullying pri.ck who treated the young kid appalingly when he should have been taking him under his wing :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored:
Tough shit mate. Top level football demands top level standards. Henry had incredibly high standards and wanted those around him to meet them as well. The onus was on Reyes to step up his game and meet those standards but due to various reasons failed to do so.

The problem we have now is we lack a character like Henry who demands high standards from his team mates and hence the dogshit performances we see too often these days from the current lot.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Fabregas? The guy should have been threading them through to top tier class strikers all through his Arsenal career, but ended up supplying Bendtner, Baptista, Walcott, Chamack and Adebayor to shank into row z! :rubchin:

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

Adebayor. Reckon a Ferguson or George Graham mite hav prevented him goin off the rails.Fucker had talent,goal against Villareal etc. Was a genius compared to some of the shit that came later.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Anelka.

He could have been Thierry Henry. But he left for Real Madrid way too early and even though he had a successful time at Chelsea, he really could have been one of the all time greatest strikers to have ever played in the premier league had he stayed.

Mind you, would Henry have joined us and played centre forward if Anelka stayed?

Wilshere is also a talent lost. I remember when he was 18 playing with Song, Cesc, Nasri and at times was the stand out performer in our midfield. I was convinced he was going to be a great English midfielder just like Gerrard, Lampard Scholes.

But I still think Anelka was the legend who could have been.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:59 pm
Fabregas? The guy should have been threading them through to top tier class strikers all through his Arsenal career, but ended up supplying Bendtner, Baptista, Walcott, Chamack and Adebayor to shank into row z! :rubchin:
Good shout, his undoubted talent was criminally wasted by having shite surround him but he controlled games on his own.

Should have took him back when he was available too but Wenkers pride came before the best interests of the club.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Wilson wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:02 am
Anelka.

He could have been Thierry Henry. But he left for Real Madrid way too early and even though he had a successful time at Chelsea, he really could have been one of the all time greatest strikers to have ever played in the premier league had he stayed.
his two brothers were his agents and agitated for the move to Madrid because they picked up a million quid each. they pressured him to leave and he wasn't ready for Madrid. Which The Arsenal knew to be fair, and hence he became known as "Le sulk" when he stropped to gin up a move.

great player, terrible person.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gonna suggest the very unpopular Ashley Cole into the mix. Wenger should've agreed to the extra £5k and we would've won a couple of more league titles, 2007/08 springs to mind. In my mind there is no doubt when he left Arsenal he was the best left back in the world. Given the contracts wenger gave to much lesser talented players it was criminal letting him go. Wenger thought Clichy was as good as Cole and I think history has proven that decision to be wrong. But I guess that's moving away from the theme of the thread as without doubt Cole went on to fulfil his potential at club and international level, just not with us.
It was unfortunate for Upson that he still had Adams, Bould, Keown and then Sol Campbell to contend with. He didn't waste his talent he just had too much competition. Had he stayed from 2006 he would've been captain but he had departed by then.
I don't think under wenger many players talents was wasted, I would say he wasted a lot of time on talentless players. Wenger maximised the talent they did have but they just weren't good enough. I'm not talking about the players he brought in who were already established like Arshavin and Podolski, I'm talking about players like Walcott, bendtner, denilson, chamakh, wilshere. that were given ample opportunity and contracts but never got to the heights we thought they could get to.
Nasri is a player who was a talented but did wenger maximise it? Maybe not but did Nasri perform better at City than at Arsenal? Not really.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Wilson wrote:
Anelka.

Mind you, would Henry have joined us and played centre forward if Anelka stayed?

Wilshere is also a talent lost. I remember when he was 18 playing with Song, Cesc, Nasri and at times was the stand out performer in our midfield. I was convinced he was going to be a great English midfielder just like Gerrard, Lampard Scholes.

If we hadnt have sold Anelka are you telling me we would have signed the clubs greatest ever player Henry? Selling Anelka for £23m and buying Henry for half the price was a masterstroke

augie

Post by augie »

Ernie71 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:46 pm
Wilson wrote:
Anelka.

If we hadnt have sold Anelka are you telling me we would have signed the clubs greatest ever player Henry? Selling Anelka for £23m and buying Henry for half the price was a masterstroke

Greatest player ever ?? Have you never seen Bergkamp in action ?? No other player comes close to the great dutchman 8) :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I think wenger is not only responsible for wasting loads of young players coming through the ranks, but signings such as Arshavin and Perez.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:46 pm
Gonna suggest the very unpopular Ashley Cole into the mix. Wenger should've agreed to the extra £5k and we would've won a couple of more league titles, 2007/08 springs to mind. In my mind there is no doubt when he left Arsenal he was the best left back in the world. Given the contracts wenger gave to much lesser talented players it was criminal letting him go. Wenger thought Clichy was as good as Cole and I think history has proven that decision to be wrong. But I guess that's moving away from the theme of the thread as without doubt Cole went on to fulfil his potential at club and international level, just not with us.
It was unfortunate for Upson that he still had Adams, Bould, Keown and then Sol Campbell to contend with. He didn't waste his talent he just had too much competition. Had he stayed from 2006 he would've been captain but he had departed by then.
I don't think under wenger many players talents was wasted, I would say he wasted a lot of time on talentless players. Wenger maximised the talent they did have but they just weren't good enough. I'm not talking about the players he brought in who were already established like Arshavin and Podolski, I'm talking about players like Walcott, bendtner, denilson, chamakh, wilshere. that were given ample opportunity and contracts but never got to the heights we thought they could get to.
Nasri is a player who was a talented but did wenger maximise it? Maybe not but did Nasri perform better at City than at Arsenal? Not really.
Cole was a waste for us, in the sense that we left the world’s best left back go for 5k a week.

But he did go on to win a league title, 4 fa cups, a league cup, a CL and a Europa league. Gives me no pleasure to admit it but the guy was a quality footballer, only waste was his talent was used elsewhere.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:04 pm
I think wenger is not only responsible for wasting loads of young players coming through the ranks, but signings such as Arshavin and Perez.
Arshavin was class. Showed he could do it but worn down being played out of position to the extent he was embarrassing.

Perez was a nice bloke and pointless signing somebody not to play him but never good enough t play at this level. Just nowhere near the pace.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:27 am
Good shout, his undoubted talent was criminally wasted by having shite surround him but he controlled games on his own.

Should have took him back when he was available too but Wenkers pride came before the best interests of the club.
Fabregas with a midfield of Lasanna Diarra (who was far the superior DM than Flamini who AW fucked him off for), Alonso, who AW penny pinched over, plus a post Euro 08 David Villa (more penny pinching) would have made us serious contenders from 2008 onwards!

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

For a good while he was supplying RvP, and for a short time Henry two of the most deadly strikers the game has seen (when fit/motivated), RvP dragged an average manutd to a title, but the rest of the midfeild and defense and goal keeper were dire, so them two were not enough to carry all of that. :?

Eduardo was decent as well, even Vela was not that bad

I think Adebayor was a decent striker as well not top notch but good enough, he just could not stay motivated, his constant offside shit pissed me off, but I imagine defenders found him very hard to play against. I think pig lips terdinand attested to this, but he was also a masssive massive crunt.

I do agree he was wasted, but I don't think it was lack of striking options it was everything else that held him back.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:27 am

Fabregas with a midfield of Lasanna Diarra (who was far the superior DM than Flamini who AW fucked him off for), Alonso, who AW penny pinched over, plus a post Euro 08 David Villa (more penny pinching) would have made us serious contenders from 2008 onwards!
Yeah, Even if rosicky and diaby had stayed fit, and we just got any other keeper than almunia we might have stood a good chance.