Watford Home 29/09 3pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Supagoon

Re: Watford Home 29/09 3pm

Post by Supagoon »

Good result, quite pleased.

We still have flaws but dare I say it, we are improving. Iwobi and Holding did well, and maybe under new coaches are actually receiving the help they needed.

This always going to be a game of patience and we showed that. Clean shiiiiiiiieeeet. :barscarf:

markyp

Post by markyp »

hard fought win and another clean sheet,watford made it hard but we stood up to it,the last few seasons we would have crumbled.a great save from leno early doors which was good to see but ffs Aubameyang is just plain shit,even comedy iwobi or welwide should be starting instead of him,hes offered little to nothing so far this season.the Dicky bandwagon rolls on!!

augie

Post by augie »

Havent seen any of the game so I obviously cant say how holding played, but two of you have said that he played well whilst sky sports live feed said that he had a 'mare :? I like holding (and chambers) and am desperate to see either replace mustafi in the starting line up (I know chambers is currently out on loan)

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Great result.

Yet another good performance from Iwobi.

Up to 5th, and only four points off the top.

Defence is slowly getting better.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:51 pm
In Wenger's defence he did have a dodgy zip to contend with.
and he couldn't manage a zip......let alone a football team!! :shock:
I've noticed that Steve Bould is so loyal to his Furher that even though the failed dictator has long gone, he's still adopting the sit in your arse, doing fuck all and looking like a *word censored* approach in a lasting tribute to him.

Post by 1989 »

augie wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:10 pm
Havent seen any of the game so I obviously cant say how holding played, but two of you have said that he played well whilst sky sports live feed said that he had a 'mare :? I like holding (and chambers) and am desperate to see either replace mustafi in the starting line up (I know chambers is currently out on loan)
Chambers is shite and not good enough even for Fulham. Holding miles better.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

We got out of jail today as Watford were far from pushovers and had a good spell just before we scored. We had our usual slow start and that new pressing game all the talk was about - nothing doing. Tbh for a while it was all rather wengeresque :shock:

Holding is worth sticking with and seems to be made of the right stuff, he is improving no doubt about it and isn't adverse to sticking an elbow into a forwards ribs which is encouraging. Anyone who remembers watching dear old TA when he started out knows that he was far from convincing but he had the right attitude and came good. Holding is definately worth the game time and we are just going to have to be understanding that he has Mustafi alongside him.

Ozil was better today and funnily enough towards the end of the first half started moving into the middle of the park and started to get more involved. He continued to do that in the second half and after twirly went off as the 10 he looked much more into it. Playing Ozil wide is a complete waste of time, he either plays 10 or not at all in my opinion.

Also a bit concerned by PEA as I don't think we are getting the best out of him either. I like Lacazette but I do wonder if we are missing a trick by accommodating him at the expense of PEA as the front man. What we do need is a proper winger but Dick is having to juggle with what he has just now. Iwobi gave a decent account of himself and while the jury is still out I am hopeful that Dick is able to get him performing - you never know!

Torreira is a star. Ramsey is stale. Xhaka a clown. Cech did well again. Leno made a save that I was amazed he got a hand to - don't think Cech would have got down to that one in time. He also likes to flap at balls played into the box but then again he is German.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

A good win in the end against a strong powerful outfit.If le helmet had been on in 2nd half we would've been a goal down for sure to that low shot,be interesting to see how big Leno does 8) time to shine big fella.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Most match reviews and tweets praise Holding for his performance. Also most tweets say that the system is becoming more important than the individual and the result is now more important than the performance. To me these are positives , we have emerged from around ten years of chaos and indiscipline. There was no overnight fix but Emery is bringing stability to the club. The players who were or more correctly are still immersed in Wengerisms have no place in the team. . It is about the best team now not finding anywhere for the perceived best player.There are three glaring exceptions to that and maybe it will take the injury to Cech to sort that one. Mustafi is a complete liability and hopefully when Sokratis returns he will be gone and finally Ramsey, he needs to go. Wonder, like his footballing daddy does he too believe that the big clubs are waiting to pounce?

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

This was a bit like the Everton game. 3 points without playing very well. I think our luck may soon run out & we will get done by one of the tiny teams !. :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A good solid win. They are no pushovers and we did well to stay in it until our late winners. The "fearsome" Monchichi Deeney never materialised. Again. :lol: :roll:

Not sure where the Comedy Iwobi praise is coming from tbh. He was average at best which I suppose is better than his usual utter gash. Even his "assist" for the own goal was a poor cross about a yard behind where Lacazette needed it. But he looked so happy at almost getting something right I was genuinely happy for him. :lol:

Thought Ozil was very anonymous for huge chunks of the first half but came into when the Welsh Messi-Lite went off and got out of everyone's way. His goal was a lovely run into the danger area and a good finish too but tbh you'd crucify a player that missed from that far out. :wink:

Cech did well up until his hammy went but Leno saved one that tbh I don't think Cech would have got near.

Holding did well enough but Mustafi was in brain fart mode again..... :|

Torreira has to start every game. His calm drive energy and (mostly) controlled aggression are superb.

Lacazette missed a couple of good chances and Boomerang looked out of sorts but let's mark that down to a bad day at the office. But I still think we are more effective with Boomerang in the centre and Ozil in the 10.

A hard fought good win and another clean sheet. I think that's 8 straight wins now too isn't it?

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Good to see them live for the first time this season, these bread and butter games against "CAT B" teams have often been our downfall
Observations
Leno is still learning missed a big punch out which could have cost the team, but overall did well when called upon!
Subtitutions were good and had the correct impact on the game, grabbed an inplay 2/1 at 0-0 :
Great day out, beers flowing at supporters club, still getting over it.... :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:02 am
A good solid win. They are no pushovers and we did well to stay in it until our late winners. The "fearsome" Monchichi Deeney never materialised. Again. :lol: :roll:

Not sure where the Comedy Iwobi praise is coming from tbh. He was average at best which I suppose is better than his usual utter gash. Even his "assist" for the own goal was a poor cross about a yard behind where Lacazette needed it. But he looked so happy at almost getting something right I was genuinely happy for him. :lol:

Thought Ozil was very anonymous for huge chunks of the first half but came into when the Welsh Messi-Lite went off and got out of everyone's way. His goal was a lovely run into the danger area and a good finish too but tbh you'd crucify a player that missed from that far out. :wink:

Cech did well up until his hammy went but Leno saved one that tbh I don't think Cech would have got near.

Holding did well enough but Mustafi was in brain fart mode again..... :|

Torreira has to start every game. His calm drive energy and (mostly) controlled aggression are superb.

Lacazette missed a couple of good chances and Boomerang looked out of sorts but let's mark that down to a bad day at the office. But I still think we are more effective with Boomerang in the centre and Ozil in the 10.

A hard fought good win and another clean sheet. I think that's 8 straight wins now too isn't it?

As has been the case on numerous occasions so far trhis season - I really dont understand why emery doesnt play ozil in the 10 position behind bangbang and lacazette, with guendozi brought in as an extra deep lying midfielder behind ozil :?
Anyway we have to be happy that another win has been secured and again it maybe slightly flattered us - of course it shouldnt hide the issues in the performances that still exist, but it is giving confidence to the players (and the fans) and that will be needed when we hit the rocky patch(es) that no doubt lie ahead.
I only seen motd highlights so I obviously missed the punch that leno is supposed to have missed, but straight after his great save, leno came to 2 dangerous and his punches cleared the penalty area - THE single hardest thing for a "foreign" keeper to adapt to in england is the physical aspect of dealing with crosses into the area, and from what I seen Leno is pretty confident in that area 8)

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

5th game in a row in which we have gone 2-0 up 8)

Post by 1989 »

Jay Leno made a world class save on the 51st minute. Bodes well.