Defence

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
JimmyAFC

Defence

Post by JimmyAFC »

The only negative from yesterday was the defence IMO.

I'm worried about this defence when it comes to the real big tests against the top sides in the league.

I felt like we gave too much space to Fulham and let them work that space and spread us on the wings at times.

I'm not sure if it's because we sat back and let them have possession (which is obviously part of Emery's plans).

I feel like as a side if we press we will be less susceptible to danger at the back...

Individually I think our full backs aren't good enough and the boss will have to sort that in the transfer periods to come. Monreal and Bellerin are good footballers but defensively they worry me..,

Don't get me wrong I'm bloody pleased with our win just want to know everyone's thoughts...?

rodders999

Re: Defence

Post by rodders999 »

I can’t stop reading the thread title in an American accent - Deeeee-fence. Fucking ghastly.

Yeah the defense won’t be good enough away to any of the top 4 or 5 teams in my opinion and at home to them we will probably struggle too - I just can’t see clean sheets for us in any of those games.

The more games Torreira plays in front of them the better things will get so that is one positive, sadly the opposite is true of the Swiss Turd.

Organising the deeee-fence is going to be Emery’s biggest challenge and will probably need a couple of windows to properly get right. What’s great is that I now actually trust them to get it right (Leno and Torreira have been massive upgrades) whereas before you’d never know what sort of absolute shit Wenger might splurge out on.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The Dee-fence is a work in progress ATM. Dick inherited a bunch of bog average defenders that had been led to believe they were the natural inheritors of the Dutch Total Football model and he is working hard to build them back into being disciplined strong defenders.

It's going to take a while to cleanse all that Wenger bullshit out of the old players and get the new players up to speed in the hurly burly PL but I believe Dick can do it.

The Board and the wig molester need to make sure he can spend in January too. It's gonna take a while to rebuild but we all knew that. The important thing is you can see improvement defensively in every game and even with our suspect dee-fence we are winning games.

The top 4 or 5 clubs away will be seriously difficult but if we can even nick one or two draws from those games it will be a huge improvement.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:02 am
The Dee-fence is a work in progress ATM. Dick inherited a bunch of bog average defenders that had been led to believe they were the natural inheritors of the Dutch Total Football model and he is working hard to build them back into being disciplined strong defenders.

It's going to take a while to cleanse all that Wenger bullshit out of the old players and get the new players up to speed in the hurly burly PL but I believe Dick can do it.

The Board and the wig molester need to make sure he can spend in January too. It's gonna take a while to rebuild but we all knew that. The important thing is you can see improvement defensively in every game and even with our suspect dee-fence we are winning games.

The top 4 or 5 clubs away will be seriously difficult but if we can even nick one or two draws from those games it will be a huge improvement.
Spot on :high5:

Post by 1989 »

Need to splash out on a big fuck-off CB with leadership skills, the way the victims did with Van Dyke. Kalidou Koulibaly of Napoli is the dream.