Leicester (H) Monday 22/10 @20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: Leicester (H) Monday 22/10 @20:00

Post by Jock Gooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:08 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:19 pm
Are you referring to the ES piece by the scouse Tony Evans?
yes mate, I think that was it.

i thought that was what he was inferring - that he was playing to deep and not pressing against orders.

which to be fair, if Dick told him to sit a la Gilberto then that was an odd decision by Dick. Torreira is not a sitting midfielder.

i'm not sure i agree with all of it either, but i thought that he raised an interesting point - that we struggled when Torreira sat deep and didn't make any tackles, and dominated when he did go forward and make tackles.

I thought he was being pretty harsh on Torreira given that he is brand new to us and the league and that we have lacked someone with his particular skills for quite a while now. He was basically having a dig at his size and fitness and I read it that scouse Tone was giving his own view on Torreira not reporting anything that Dick had said - no quotes.

I'm not sure that Torreira going forward caused our dominance, I thought that as the team gained the upper hand generally and pushed on then Torreira started to get into the game more. I come back to the Douzer though because that kid really made the midfield tick when he came on and he made a real difference so I would point more to him than Torreira's positioning as being a factor. I still get the feeling that Evans was just trying look clever with his analysis though.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Souness refused to countenance any idea that Torreira could be a quality DM because of his size. He just couldn’t get past it.

At least had the decency to look sheepish when Carragher pointed out that Kante is a similar dap.

I like souness but his obsession with torreira’s size (as a leading pundit and somebody with 10 years’ managerial experience in the top flight here and plenty elsewhere) is a bit of an indictment on the continuing misplaced obsession with size and generally looking like you’re trying hard rather than substance.

Not saying Torreira is going to be world class by any stretch, but whenever one of our players has won the ball back this season with a pass or interception in the middle of the park 3 times out of 4 it’s him.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

northbank123 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 pm
Souness refused to countenance any idea that Torreira could be a quality DM because of his size. He just couldn’t get past it.

At least had the decency to look sheepish when Carragher pointed out that Kante is a similar dap.

I like souness but his obsession with torreira’s size (as a leading pundit and somebody with 10 years’ managerial experience in the top flight here and plenty elsewhere) is a bit of an indictment on the continuing misplaced obsession with size and generally looking like you’re trying hard rather than substance.

Not saying Torreira is going to be world class by any stretch, but whenever one of our players has won the ball back this season with a pass or interception in the middle of the park 3 times out of 4 it’s him.
It's not even that he just wins the ball back alot, I have been impressed with his crisp forward passing when he does. more than just a ball winner it seems, he can link play as well.