Europa League |Arsenal vs Sporting Lisbon|Thursday 08/11/18 - 20:00|

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Re: Europa League |Arsenal vs Sporting Lisbon|Thursday 08/11/18 - 20:00|

Post by SydneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:14 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:32 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:03 am
SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:56 am
I'd play this line-up.

Comedy Iwobi, Mickey Tarragon and the Welsh Messi-Lite in the same midfield?! :shock: No way. That puts way too much work and responsibility on The Dozer and to a lesser extent the inexperienced Smith-Rowe. We would simply get over run in the middle.
If it weren't for the left back crisis we have atm ideally I would have had Maitland-Niles partner Doozy in midfield or even El-Neny if he wasn't injured but regardless that midfield I've listed should be more than good enough to get the job done fairly comfortably.

Sporting are currently a shambles having just sacked their manager and have three first team players out.
But they will have to plot their way past Unai Emery’s in form side without a manager after previous boss Jose Peseiro was sacked at the end of last week.

It is reported that former Ajax manager Marcel Keizer will replace him, but not until after the game in north London.

That means that Tiago Fernandes, who currently works within Sporting’s academy, will take charge of the senior side against Arsenal on Thursday evening.

And in a further blow Sporting’s hopes, key midfielder Rodrigo Battaglia suffered a knee injury at the weekend that looks set to keep him out for the rest of the season.

It’s being reported in Portugal that defender Stefan Ristovski and winger Rafinha will also miss the Arsenal game and that the squad is stretched so thin that Fernandes is having to call up academy players just to make up the numbers in training.
Source
I've named three players there that simply cannot retain possession and give it away cheaply continuously. Sporting going through a rough season doesn't preclude them from taking advantage of a seriously piss weak and open midfield.
Emery will have our regular midfield resting on the bench as insurance if it were to go tits up but I trust that lot to hold it together against Sporting's academy fodder. What it lacks in control and discipline it more than makes up for in attack to get us a few goals which should be enough.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:47 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:14 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:32 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:03 am
SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:56 am
I'd play this line-up.

Comedy Iwobi, Mickey Tarragon and the Welsh Messi-Lite in the same midfield?! :shock: No way. That puts way too much work and responsibility on The Dozer and to a lesser extent the inexperienced Smith-Rowe. We would simply get over run in the middle.
If it weren't for the left back crisis we have atm ideally I would have had Maitland-Niles partner Doozy in midfield or even El-Neny if he wasn't injured but regardless that midfield I've listed should be more than good enough to get the job done fairly comfortably.

Sporting are currently a shambles having just sacked their manager and have three first team players out.
But they will have to plot their way past Unai Emery’s in form side without a manager after previous boss Jose Peseiro was sacked at the end of last week.

It is reported that former Ajax manager Marcel Keizer will replace him, but not until after the game in north London.

That means that Tiago Fernandes, who currently works within Sporting’s academy, will take charge of the senior side against Arsenal on Thursday evening.

And in a further blow Sporting’s hopes, key midfielder Rodrigo Battaglia suffered a knee injury at the weekend that looks set to keep him out for the rest of the season.

It’s being reported in Portugal that defender Stefan Ristovski and winger Rafinha will also miss the Arsenal game and that the squad is stretched so thin that Fernandes is having to call up academy players just to make up the numbers in training.
Source
I've named three players there that simply cannot retain possession and give it away cheaply continuously. Sporting going through a rough season doesn't preclude them from taking advantage of a seriously piss weak and open midfield.
Emery will have our regular midfield resting on the bench as insurance if it were to go tits up but I trust that lot to hold it together against Sporting's academy fodder. What it lacks in control and discipline it more than makes up for in attack to get us a few goals which should be enough.
NO SydneyGooner SAN! It rakka dissaprin

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Arsenal: Cech. Papastathopoulos, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey, Lichtsteiner, Holding, Iwobi, Welbeck, Jenkinson, Guendouzi, Smith Rowe.
he was right - miti, ESR and Iwobi. with Dozer and Ramsay behind them.

PEA on the bench.

StanKroenke'sWig

Post by StanKroenke'sWig »

Come on The Arsenal, let's get it done.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Think the defender actually landed on Danny's ankle and it twisted the wrong way :rubchin: :banghead:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

That looked really really bad

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Double post :oops:
Last edited by Natural Born Gooner on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Looks bad or Welbeck at the moment. Hopefully not as bad as feared but for me it'll cloud the result even if we win now! He's been really eager and impressive with his input this season
Last edited by Natural Born Gooner on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

That could be a season ender.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Just saw a pic of Welbeck’s foot facing the wrong way. Not good.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Poor Welbz. My heart goes out to him. Every time he builds up a head of steam, something happens. It looks like a broken ankle and say what you want about him, he never puts in anything other than a 100%. All those other times he's been injured, he's put the hours in, got his head down and worked hard to get back. I always used to compare him to Wilshere who was pictured out on the piss and smoking or whatever when he was permanently injured. Whenever Welbz was out injured, he was invisible in the press. He's been a true professional. Hope you come back quickly.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Oof that doesn’t look nice.

Real shame for him.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

This time at least he doesn't have the AW Mortician Service to look out for him so hopefully he'll make a full recovery as quickly as he is able to...GL Danny boy, hope you heal fast lad :barscarf:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Good luck Danny boy. :barscarf: :barscarf: