Wolves (H) Sunday 11/11 @ 16:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Wolves (H) Sunday 11/11 @ 16:30

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:00 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:40 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 am
Only saw the highlights on MOTD2 and that looked balanced although most reports suggest otherwise. Scariest moment was the sight of Holding being left for dead in a foot race by Traore(?) near the end. If you are playing the type of game Emery wants us to play then pace is required all over. It wasn't a great day but some of the reaction on Twitter was mad. It was never going to be easy this season and we will have more days like yesterday.
Give the lad a break, traore is the fastest player in the pl apparently so no one would beat him in a foot race.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as being hard in Holding..He is a player I have always liked and hope he is a permanent fixture in the side..I highlighted an isolated incident in the game without taking Traore's pace and Holdings contribution prior to that into account..Holding is miles ahead of Mustafi and he should be paired with Sokratis when both are fit..
Yes agree, I too like holding, from the games I've watched he's no shrinking violet, doesn't mind leaving a foot in has a good touch, yes pair him with sokriatis for sure.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Nutflush, I wasn’t suggesting Holding was a full back I said he was the new Gibbs because all Gibbs did, well 95% of the time anyway was go sideways or backwards with a short pass, a nothing, no effort, safety ball (unless you’re Xhaka)! I agree Holding has been ok recently but he’ll never be a really decent player, he’s too slow, distribution is poor and he makes poor decisions.....yes I know he is still ‘young’. For me, none of our current defence is good enough if we seriously want to fight for the PL or CL, apart from Leno.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Bit of a reality check on Sunday. We should be matching spurs results against these teams, they beat both palace and wolves, we drew. Still we did not lose. We haven't been playing well and still not lost so for me that is a massive positive.

Xhaka has proven he's a more competent LB than a DM, then we should keep him their. He actually plays with more freedom at LB, and less of a liability.
For me the attacking 4 have had an off day. They should be creating more against a team like wolves. The fluency they showed against Leicester and Liverpool is too inconsistent.
Bellerin needs to learn how to shoot, if he knew how to control a goalscoring opportunity we would have beaten both Liverpool and Wolves in the final minutes. The style of football we play he will get the ball landing at his feet in vital situations, he has to learn how to finish them.
Thought Holding did well, don't understand the criticism levelled at him. Leno made some decent saves too, but would cech have conceded them? I don't think he would. Either way it looks like Leno is improving his goalkeeping level, which is good news.
When can we bring back Reiss Nelson, the lad is on form?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Well it's good to see the agenda monkeys pop up again. Welcome back lads. Couldn't bring yourselves to post about Ozil when he had a run of 5 or 6 games creating chances, dictating pace and scoring goals but the minute he has an off day boom you're back. :lol: Such silly bias totally devalues your argument.

For the record Ozil certainly was poor against Wolves but so were most of our players and even then he created two great chances that were both fluffed and he was still miles better than Boomerang, Laca, Xhaka, Comedy Iwobi, Ramsey and Bellend.

Having said all that I think Dick did exactly the right thing by hooking him as we simply cannot carry him when he is off the boil. It is also good for Ozil to know he is not immune to getting subbed if he is off par.

What concerns me most (apart from the defence) is Dick continuing to play the Boomerang out wide. He's wasted and lost out there.

Leno and the Dozer joint man of the match for me. A hard fought point against a team that will take a few points of some of the top 6 teams but if the chances we created had been finished we could have won 3-1..... but then if their late crossbar rattler and earlier upright rattler had gone in we would have lost 1-3.

Onwards and upwards.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:34 am
Bit of a reality check on Sunday. We should be matching spurs results against these teams, they beat both palace and wolves, we drew. Still we did not lose. We haven't been playing well and still not lost so for me that is a massive positive.

Xhaka has proven he's a more competent LB than a DM, then we should keep him their. He actually plays with more freedom at LB, and less of a liability.
For me the attacking 4 have had an off day. They should be creating more against a team like wolves. The fluency they showed against Leicester and Liverpool is too inconsistent.
Bellerin needs to learn how to shoot, if he knew how to control a goalscoring opportunity we would have beaten both Liverpool and Wolves in the final minutes. The style of football we play he will get the ball landing at his feet in vital situations, he has to learn how to finish them.
Thought Holding did well, don't understand the criticism levelled at him. Leno made some decent saves too, but would cech have conceded them? I don't think he would. Either way it looks like Leno is improving his goalkeeping level, which is good news.

I am still arguing that there are FAR more of those days than there are good days. I dont think that you can pick one player out of our strikers and attacking midfielders that has consistantly been on fire this season, and they more than anyone else are benefitting from our results being better than our performances. Every time leno or our defenders makes a mistake the fans and media are all over them saying that we are not good enough in that department, and they are right cos that is a fact - however our issues up front never seem to be put under the microscope to the same extent and that is allowing those guys a free and unwarranted pass imo.
I have consistantly said that the formation we play isnt getting the best out of bangabang, ozil and lacazette and I stand by that, but that is simply no excuse for some of the poor performances those 3 have been putting in on occasions - iwobi and mikki are to a large degree not good enough (shit :wink: ), but the other 3 are without doubt top quality and are not performing at the required level, and a lot of that is down to attitude imo

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:24 am
Nos89 wrote:

I am still arguing that there are FAR more of those days than there are good days. I dont think that you can pick one player out of our strikers and attacking midfielders that has consistantly been on fire this season, and they more than anyone else are benefitting from our results being better than our performances. Every time leno or our defenders makes a mistake the fans and media are all over them saying that we are not good enough in that department, and they are right cos that is a fact - however our issues up front never seem to be put under the microscope to the same extent and that is allowing those guys a free and unwarranted pass imo.
I have consistantly said that the formation we play isnt getting the best out of bangabang, ozil and lacazette and I stand by that, but that is simply no excuse for some of the poor performances those 3 have been putting in on occasions - iwobi and mikki are to a large degree not good enough (shit :wink: ), but the other 3 are without doubt top quality and are not performing at the required level, and a lot of that is down to attitude imo
Tbh augie I think we have to give the front 3 a certain amount of time to get used to the new manager and what he wants them to do. I agree though they are getting a pass but that's only because our defence is appalling at times and our forwards at least seem capable of stepping up in most second half's and delivering the goods.

I mean who would have thought a new manager replacing Wenger would take thd guts of his failed team and get them into a 12 match unbeaten run with 10 wins in there?

I know you know it's a transitional period so I guess we just have to trust Dick to get it right.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:58 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Tbh augie I think we have to give the front 3 a certain amount of time to get used to the new manager and what he wants them to do. I agree though they are getting a pass but that's only because our defence is appalling at times and our forwards at least seem capable of stepping up in most second half's and delivering the goods.

I mean who would have thought a new manager replacing Wenger would take thd guts of his failed team and get them into a 12 match unbeaten run with 10 wins in there?

I know you know it's a transitional period so I guess we just have to trust Dick to get it right.
^^^ This in Fuckin' Spades Baby!!!!! !^^^ :high5: :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

I'd like to see a a front two playing togther and Ozil behind. It does sannoy me to see auba out wide, with the left wing back foraging past him. He's a striker, not a winger. We've got players that can operate a diamond midfield, which is flexible enough to cover the wing backs when they go forward.