Wolves (H) Sunday 11/11 @ 16:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: Wolves (H) Sunday 11/11 @ 16:30

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The last few matches, Victims aside, have been pretty poor and lack lustre. For some reason it seems only 1 or 2 players at a time are up for it and the rest are meandering around, reminds me a lot of matches in the late Wenger era.

Dick needs to sort this out quick because we can be notoriously poor during the busy Christmas period (Yeah fuck those who want to call it Wintervale or whatever) and we have some really tough games coming up that i really dont want to see us lose, and if i'm honest drawing games isn't much fun right now either :rubchin:

I think this January transfer window could actually be interesting because we need to strengthen and if we dont i dont think we have the personnel to keep us where we are or better in the league :cry:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Pathetic performance. Thanks to Leno we managed a point. I agree there were only 3 decent players out there for us today. Not a forward in sight !. After the break I think we may well start putting a different kind of run together !!. :barscarf: :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Xhaka and Ozil where awful yesterday. Xhaka in particular has received praise this season, I dont understand why. According to the BBC he has been involved in more errors that lead to opposition goals than any other midfielder for the last two seasons, I believe its five goals. For a central midfielder that is criminal, especially given our defence ships enough goals as it is. What the fuck was xhaka doing allowing the ball to pass him in midfield, without being aware where his team mates are is beyond me.

Maitland Niles is fit again, its time to start playing him ahead of Xhaka in central midfield, rotating with Guendozi if necessary.

Its clear to me why Auba and Laca arent clicking when they play together from the start, both of them are miles apart on the pitch, at times on opposite flanks. They need to be much closer using their pace and movement to unlock defences. The full backs need to create the width, we really miss not having Monreal in the team. Kolasinac also had a stinker yesterday.

Leno saved our bacon.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

It was a dreadful 'Wenger' display yesterday. Bad attitude, lack of desire and no pace or power. I still think our full back positions are as bad as the CB's, Kolasinac was worse than shit yesterday and Holding is the new Gibbs, every pass is 5 yards sideways or backwards. Mustafi is shockingly bad (we all know it). We need a midfielder who comes deep to start the play, Xhaka is a liability, we've seen it again and again, he's capable of great passes but every game he plays he gives silly balls away that often lead to goals. I'm totally fed up with Ozil, the team is better without him in it. He has to be carried for a dozen games before he can be bothered to put in a good shift. There is seriously something wrong with his commitment and desire. Yesterday was a realisation that actually we aren't that good, don't get me wrong, I know it will take a couple of years to put right the wrongs of the past 10 years but look through our squad and it is actually very average across the board. I'm quite deflated because there are a lot of defeats coming up for us I reckon.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:27 am
It was a dreadful 'Wenger' display yesterday. Bad attitude, lack of desire and no pace or power. I still think our full back positions are as bad as the CB's, Kolasinac was worse than shit yesterday and Holding is the new Gibbs, every pass is 5 yards sideways or backwards. Mustafi is shockingly bad (we all know it). We need a midfielder who comes deep to start the play, Xhaka is a liability, we've seen it again and again, he's capable of great passes but every game he plays he gives silly balls away that often lead to goals. I'm totally fed up with Ozil, the team is better without him in it. He has to be carried for a dozen games before he can be bothered to put in a good shift. There is seriously something wrong with his commitment and desire. Yesterday was a realisation that actually we aren't that good, don't get me wrong, I know it will take a couple of years to put right the wrongs of the past 10 years but look through our squad and it is actually very average across the board. I'm quite deflated because there are a lot of defeats coming up for us I reckon.
Holding is a centre back not a left back, and he was one of the better defenders certainly not as bad as Kolasinac or Mustafi who was just awful. Not sure what game you where watching tbh.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Enjoyed the cat and mouse game, credit wolves for an exquisitely crafted goal which any defence will get caught on, substitutions spot on to get that equaliser and lucky in the end to get a point...
Very quick tempo throughout from both teams a fine balance of teamwork and discipline from the visitors.
I feel we need an out and out striker, the other two were just too predictable...
And Holding was excellent....

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Not sure Holding will ultimately make the grade but he has played well recently. Mustafi has to be dropped for Sokratis. The guy is a walking liability.

Kolasinac looks worse every time he plays. He’s getting more and more like Andre Santos.

No more Xhaka please.

Thanks

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Only saw the highlights on MOTD2 and that looked balanced although most reports suggest otherwise. Scariest moment was the sight of Holding being left for dead in a foot race by Traore(?) near the end. If you are playing the type of game Emery wants us to play then pace is required all over. It wasn't a great day but some of the reaction on Twitter was mad. It was never going to be easy this season and we will have more days like yesterday.

augie

Post by augie »

StanKroenke'sWig wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:22 pm
Just back in from the match (long ol' trek back).

Very poor today and I did think it was going to be the end of the unbeaten run. Was something absolutely wrong with Kolasinac today, either he's not fit or just had an absolute minger of a game. He wasn't even trying to get back at some points

Leno got us that draw. Bellerin was alright to be fair. We created absolutely fuck all through the middle, it all went down the flanks (and favoured that left side all first half for some reason).

Anyway, good not to lose going into the international break. Onwards Gooner's.

Too fat
Too slow
No urgency

GTG

Post by GTG »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 am
Only saw the highlights on MOTD2 and that looked balanced although most reports suggest otherwise. Scariest moment was the sight of Holding being left for dead in a foot race by Traore(?) near the end. If you are playing the type of game Emery wants us to play then pace is required all over. It wasn't a great day but some of the reaction on Twitter was mad. It was never going to be easy this season and we will have more days like yesterday.
Traore would leave most players for dead in a foot race mate. Particularly when coming on as a sub fresh as a daisy against Holding who had been busy trying to tidy up his fellow defenders mess all game. Holding was literally the only one at the back who played with any assurance yesterday and hes getting pelters on here? He's learning as he goes and has a long way to go but his attitude was one of the few that was actually right yesterday.

To me games like yesterday happen to often where the attitude isn't right. It stems back to 2 things... one being the culture of complacency under Wonga and the other being we haven't had a proper captain in years. Someone to get the players revved up before they go out there. They are professionals and shouldn't need it but sometimes it takes the manager or the captain to fire them up and make sure they're on it from the first whistle.

Dick has got some tough choices to make going forward because playing Auba on that left hand side simply cannot continue because he offers next to nothing outside of the box and the balance of the team just doesn't look right.

Post by 1989 »

Leno won us that point.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Give the lad a break, traore is the fastest player in the pl apparently so no one would beat him in a foot race.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Captaincy point is a very fair one.

Still no leaders in that team.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:40 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Give the lad a break, traore is the fastest player in the pl apparently so no one would beat him in a foot race.
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as being hard in Holding..He is a player I have always liked and hope he is a permanent fixture in the side..I highlighted an isolated incident in the game without taking Traore's pace and Holdings contribution prior to that into account..Holding is miles ahead of Mustafi and he should be paired with Sokratis when both are fit..

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Haven't seen the game, am away with the missus so just read comments on here, I'll watch it on motd later but the result was no surprise, I'm no gambling man but my window cleaner asked my prediction for the Manc game (i got a few right lately and he likes a flutter) which I got right, I had us to lose this one.

Wolves are a decent side tbf and we have definitely been lucky in a few games this season.

If teams have a go at us and they can finish we will always concede which is a hangover from the Wenger era, I'm sure in time we will be tighter all over the park but we do need a few more quality players before we look like troubling the better teams.