O'Neill and Keane step down.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: O'Neill and Keane step down.

Post by DB10GOONER »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:42 pm
ah the old Irish rugger supporters.

Nowhere to be seen 10/15 years ago when the team was average.

They'll slag the football team but when it qualifies for a tournament they become the best fans you'll ever see
Denilson would have been good at Rugby... bastard never did a forward pass in his life. :shock:
Did he also like having his arsehole fingered by other blokes? Because that is a prerequisite for being a closet job fat towel flicker. :D

Herd

Post by Herd »

Neither of the Charlton Brothers are very nice men !

augie

Post by augie »

This management propsal/plan is ridiculous imo - giving any guy a managers job with the announcement that he will be gone in 2 years regardless of how he performs. is farcical :shock: What happens if McCarthy and the team do well in the next 2 years ? What will constitute doing well in the fai's eyes ? What happens if stephen kenny stinks the place out of it with the under 21s ? Ireland have a good batch of under 17s and under 19s at the mo, so will the expectations on kenny be higher than McCarthy who doesnt have a great squad to work with at the mo ? What happens if kenny does well and a club in england approach him ?

Personally I think that the fai have allowed themselves to be backed into a public opinion corner where they have a progression line for a league of Ireland manager to keep the domestic media and fans happy, but it is a woefully flawed and ridiculous plan imo

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Herd wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:01 am
Well I don't wanna sound billy box bollox and I know it's not George best but I've met Jack as he did a couple of our after dinner speeches for the football team I played for and at the bar he seemed a very genuine good guy who liked a beer with us.

Herd

Post by Herd »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am
Herd wrote:
Well I don't wanna sound billy box bollox and I know it's not George best but I've met Jack as he did a couple of our after dinner speeches for the football team I played for and at the bar he seemed a very genuine good guy who liked a beer with us.
fair nuff !

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

They are both gobshites :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:19 am
This management propsal/plan is ridiculous imo - giving any guy a managers job with the announcement that he will be gone in 2 years regardless of how he performs. is farcical :shock: What happens if McCarthy and the team do well in the next 2 years.....
I'll just stop you there buddy.... :lol: :wink:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

:lol:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Ireland should just stick to Football & Hurling & dump that Rugby & Gaelic Football shite! :barscarf:

Now some of the relatives kids are playing with the Rugger Buggers, all because one player Tadgh Furlong the size of two men who couldn't play Hurling or football is now a Rugby star. The fella still goes Wexford hurling matches, even some of his mates are in the team. I'll bet he would rather be playing Hurling though! :mrgreen:

Meanwhile former Camogie legend (women's hurling) player Katrina Parrock, has started playing Football & scored the wining goal in the FAI all Ireland final a few moths back. Just goes to show if you're skilful enough you'll do well. She's trying to get a professional contract.

Plus she is well fit! :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 pm
Ireland should just stick to Football & Hurling & dump that Rugby & Gaelic Football shite! :barscarf:

Now some of the relatives kids are playing with the Rugger Buggers, all because one player Tadgh Furlong the size of two men who couldn't play Hurling or football is now a Rugby star. The fella still goes Wexford hurling matches, even some of his mates are in the team. I'll bet he would rather be playing Hurling though! :mrgreen:

Meanwhile former Camogie legend (women's hurling) player Katrina Parrock, has started playing Football & scored the wining goal in the FAI all Ireland final a few moths back. Just goes to show if you're skilful enough you'll do well. She's trying to get a professional contract.

Plus she is well fit! :barscarf:

Funnily enough, martin o'neill would be ideally suited to managing a gaelic football team - it is THE most boring, negative, defensive shite ever put on a pitch, as both teams race to see who can get all their players back into a defensive position the fastest :roll: Playing not to concede is right up o'neill's street 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Surprised Martin o'neill stayed on. Thought the plan was to move roy keane into the role. However, I bet Mick McCarthy is pissing himself at having to go in and clear up the mess left by Roy Keane, especially after Keane compromised his position back in 2002.
The sad thing about the whole situation is where are the decent Irish players? Since the 1970's they've always had a core of top quality players, now, they are left with championship players.
The criticism wasn't levelled at the management team but more to do with the lack of quality players. I also heard that the modern players simple don't respond to O'Neills and Keane's management style. Didn't O'neil declare in a press conference there will not be a god cop/ bad cop, just two bad cops? They've proper milked the money out of the FAI too.
I'm sure Mick Mccarthy will steady the ship, and bring back the players that didn't want to play for O'Neill.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:56 pm
Surprised Martin o'neill stayed on. Thought the plan was to move roy keane into the role. However, I bet Mick McCarthy is pissing himself at having to go in and clear up the mess left by Roy Keane, especially after Keane compromised his position back in 2002.
The sad thing about the whole situation is where are the decent Irish players? Since the 1970's they've always had a core of top quality players, now, they are left with championship players.
The criticism wasn't levelled at the management team but more to do with the lack of quality players. I also heard that the modern players simple don't respond to O'Neills and Keane's management style. Didn't O'neil declare in a press conference there will not be a god cop/ bad cop, just two bad cops? They've proper milked the money out of the FAI too.
I'm sure Mick Mccarthy will steady the ship, and bring back the players that didn't want to play for O'Neill.

For me that doesnt tell the full story - yes the standard of players in the squad is not great, but isnt that the case in countries all over the world ? With the exception of the one-eyed fans, most england fans admitted that the team that got to the world cup semi final a few months ago, is one of the poorest england teams for decades. Of course that is an indictment on the quality of english players, but more importantly it is an indictment of the other countries as well. Italian and dutch football has dropped so much that neither even qualified for last summers tournament. I dont know if I have ever seen as poor an argentinian team as this one, and it is obvious to everyone that spain are on a decline too. Basically the point I was making here is that football standard worldwide is poor, but when you have a country like brazil that has a population of almost 210m, then it is far easier to get 20 very good players, than it is in smaller countries like ours :(

The thing that FINALLY got o'neill out was nothing to do with the quality of players, but everything to do with the quality of the play. I keep harping back to a night just over a year ago when luxembourg went to paris to take on (the eventual winners) france - that night the visiting team got the ball down, passed it about and generally kept possession and had a go at the french and got a deserved 0-0 draw (had some great chances to win it). Just a week previously our Irish team travelled to play the might of georgia ( :roll: ) and play negative and route one football and came away with a 1-1 draw. The contrast between the two teams (luxembourg and Ireland) and their tactics could not be more opposite and it summed up o'neills mindset - playing 8 defensive minded players every fcuking game was always going to wear down the patience of the fans, and so it proved. If we dont win many games under McCarthy I will be ok with it, as long as I see him trying to develop a team that tries to play football and tries to win games - if he does that and fails, then we can come back to discuss the lack of quality available to him

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Herd wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:07 am
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am
Herd wrote:
Neither owf the Charlton Brothers are very nice men !
fair nuff !
Yeah Jackie was decent enough, Bobby APPEARED aloof (rumour) but a great player that was pure World Class, maybe I am biased coming from Ashington and personally knowing the Milburn clan..... :lol: :wink:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

augie wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:56 am

Funnily enough, martin o'neill would be ideally suited to managing a gaelic football team - it is THE most boring, negative, defensive shite ever put on a pitch, as both teams race to see who can get all their players back into a defensive position the fastest :roll: Playing not to concede is right up o'neill's street 8)
The blanket defensive Gaelic Football defence tactics started with the Ulster county teams, so O'Neill would know all about that playing GAA as a youth. Some counties like Kerry, Mayo & Dublin still try to play with style but Gaelic Football has lost the entertainment aspect compared to 20 or so years ago. Even the commentators call it Puke football. :cussing:

Out of all the non Association football codes it used to be the best to watch, but recently if they show football after a hurling game the pub quickly empties & everyone goes to the beer garden instead. :barscarf:

Aussie Rules is nowadays better even though they don't have goalkeepers, I'm not too keen on the various Rugby "football" codes, don't see why it's called football either if you can runabout & carry the ball, :cussing:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Ive always respected mc carthy and would love to see him have a successful 2 year stint!
O neil apart from his early managerial career, seems to have a hustory of alienating his squads, i remember reading that the villa players celebrated enthusiastically when he left!
As for Keane? He is a detestable c u u n t of a man, and a fucking traitor who walked out on his country in Saipan and should never have been involved as a player or coach in the Ireland set following that disgraceful selfish episode