Szczesny and Fabianksi taking the piss out of Gerry Peyton

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Szczesny and Fabianksi taking the piss out of Gerry Peyton

Post by 1989 »

https://streamable.com/fo9sw

How on earth was that bloke our goalkeeping coach for so long?

DB10GOONER

Re: Szczesny and Fabianksi taking the piss out of Gerry Peyton

Post by DB10GOONER »

1989 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:37 pm

It's a question I've often asked tbh. Not exactly a top class keeper in his day. No real pedigree as a coach at the top level. Just seemed to appear at the Arsenal one day and hey presto he's the GK coach..... :|

I put it down to Wenger's almost psychotic abandonment of anything and everything that even had a sniff of defensive responsibility.

Although the irony of an utterly shit keeper (Flappy) and an utterly average keeper (Chesney) taking the piss out of another utterly average keeper is not lost on me. :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

1989 wrote:

Well at least we got to find out what Boro Primorac’s role was !

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

StuartL wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:37 am
1989 wrote:

Well at least we got to find out what Boro Primorac’s role was !
for some reason that image of jenko being utterly crestfallen after scoring a ridiculous OG in a friendly match is really depressing for some reason :(

thankfully he got to score at the right end since :barscarf:

Post by 1989 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:54 am
1989 wrote:

It's a question I've often asked tbh. Not exactly a top class keeper in his day. No real pedigree as a coach at the top level. Just seemed to appear at the Arsenal one day and hey presto he's the GK coach..... :|

I put it down to Wenger's almost psychotic abandonment of anything and everything that even had a sniff of defensive responsibility.

Although the irony of an utterly shit keeper (Flappy) and an utterly average keeper (Chesney) taking the piss out of another utterly average keeper is not lost on me. :lol:
Agree with Flappy as a shit keeper, but Szczesny is Juventus number 1, a club that had Buffon as their keeper for so long surely wouldn't replace a legendary keeper with an average one. Szczesny loved the club and had massive potential when he broke through; If we had a decent goalkeeping coach and a proper manager, he would have been our keeper for 15+ years imo. Thankfully we've got Leno so it's not all bad, but still.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Gerry Payton was a very lucky man !
Wenger pushed Wilson out of the door when Seaman retired saying we don't need a goalkeeping coach and promptly hired Gerry Payton a person with Zero connections with Arsenal.
Wenger I'l guess was jealous of Wilsons high standing amongst all at Arsenal including the players ,Wilson still has that Aura of authority about him today ,I'm surprised he didn't manage himself ,he had the temperament ,and the brains.

Wenger gets rid or subverts anyone who is well thought of ,Steve Bould was another example ,no one could be well though of except for TOF himself .
I've never heard anyone say anything good about Payton but got a Job for 15 years .

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:10 am
Wenger pushed Wilson out of the door when Seaman retired saying we don't need a goalkeeping coach and promptly hired Gerry Payton a person with Zero connections with Arsenal.
Wenger I'l guess was jealous of Wilsons high standing amongst all at Arsenal including the players ,Wilson still has that Aura of authority about him today ,I'm surprised he didn't manage himself ,he had the temperament ,and the brains.

Wenger gets rid or subverts anyone who is well thought of ,Steve Bould was another example ,no one could be well though of except for TOF himself .
I've never heard anyone say anything good about Payton but got a Job for 15 years .

He got me tickets for the champions league final and the fa cup semi v chavs, and two of the cardiff cup finals 8)

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

It goes along with everything we've ever felt about the coaching and training under that fucking useless prick. Thank fucking god that era of uttter shit is over.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

1989 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:35 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
1989 wrote:

Agree with Flappy as a shit keeper, but Szczesny is Juventus number 1, a club that had Buffon as their keeper for so long surely wouldn't replace a legendary keeper with an average one. Szczesny loved the club and had massive potential when he broke through; If we had a decent goalkeeping coach and a proper manager, he would have been our keeper for 15+ years imo. Thankfully we've got Leno so it's not all bad, but still.

Agree 100% re Szczeny. He was too young to fully cope with the pressure when he broke into the first team and you have to wonder what he could have achieved if he had been looked after properly. What would the outcome have been if he had played number 2 to a more experienced keeper for a bit longer and had been coached by Wilson and/or Seaman. But that's why we're well rid of TOF. When you think about the pressure TOF heaped on Fabregas when he was almost single handedly having to drag our lot along when he was not long out of his teens. Maybe not such a great management style.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:18 pm
It goes along with everything we've ever felt about the coaching and training under that fucking useless prick. Thank fucking god that era of uttter shit is over.
and im sure we will see more and more of ex Arsenal players calling wenger out in the next few years for the cluster fuck that his tenure became,loving it!! :barscarf:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:01 pm
1989 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:35 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
1989 wrote:

Agree 100% re Szczeny. He was too young to fully cope with the pressure when he broke into the first team and you have to wonder what he could have achieved if he had been looked after properly. What would the outcome have been if he had played number 2 to a more experienced keeper for a bit longer and had been coached by Wilson and/or Seaman. But that's why we're well rid of TOF. When you think about the pressure TOF heaped on Fabregas when he was almost single handedly having to drag our lot along when he was not long out of his teens. Maybe not such a great management style.
Our goalkeeper situation got so bad that a teenage Szczesny had no competition, and was allowed to think he was a legend before he earned anything.

Under a good coaching system they would have slapped the sillyness out of him, but when the manager is taking the piss out of the club, a kid like him will as well .

I think he is a decent keeper and was way too immature to be a #1 at his age at Arsenal, if he was behind a decent keeper he might have been okay by now.

I am happy with Leno so far though.

Herd

Post by Herd »

augie wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 am
Herd wrote:

He got me tickets for the champions league final and the fa cup semi v chavs, and two of the cardiff cup finals 8)
there had to be one :lol: I meant at Arsenal !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'll never agree Chesney was anything more than average on a good day. A lot of the other days he was a stupid arrogant error prone twat. As soon as I saw that stupid cocky grin on his face as he lined up in the tunnel prematch I just knew a clanger was on the way. And inevitably a clanger followed. :roll:

Forget the Juve thing. The boring overly defensive Italian league is probably the easiest top level league to be a keeper in. Every team plays 9 defenders in front of the keeper. Staying awake whilst waiting for something to do is his hardest challenge in that league.

If he was a top class keeper a top 6 English team would have him as their number 1. He ain't. Never was. Never will be.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Herd wrote:

I'm intrigued Herd - oops sorry, augie. :D :wink:

Anal or oral? :rubchin:

:shock:

:wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:06 pm
augie wrote:
Herd wrote:

I'm intrigued Herd - oops sorry, augie. :D :wink:

Anal or oral? :rubchin:

:shock:

:wink:
I’d say fists db!!
But in the face? Or the arse??