Szczesny and Fabianksi taking the piss out of Gerry Peyton

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Szczesny and Fabianksi taking the piss out of Gerry Peyton

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:06 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 am
Herd wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:10 am
Gerry Payton was a very lucky man !
Wenger pushed Wilson out of the door when Seaman retired saying we don't need a goalkeeping coach and promptly hired Gerry Payton a person with Zero connections with Arsenal.
Wenger I'l guess was jealous of Wilsons high standing amongst all at Arsenal including the players ,Wilson still has that Aura of authority about him today ,I'm surprised he didn't manage himself ,he had the temperament ,and the brains.

Wenger gets rid or subverts anyone who is well thought of ,Steve Bould was another example ,no one could be well though of except for TOF himself .
I've never heard anyone say anything good about Payton but got a Job for 15 years .

He got me tickets for the champions league final and the fa cup semi v chavs, and two of the cardiff cup finals 8)
I'm intrigued Herd - oops sorry, augie. :D :wink:

Anal or oral? :rubchin:

:shock:

:wink:
I’d say fists db!!
But in the face? Or the arse??
:lol:

Knowing augie I'd say arse deffo. :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:54 am
1989 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:37 pm
https://streamable.com/fo9sw

How on earth was that bloke our goalkeeping coach for so long?
It's a question I've often asked tbh. Not exactly a top class keeper in his day. No real pedigree as a coach at the top level. Just seemed to appear at the Arsenal one day with some well dodgy photo's of wenger's missus gobbling eboue's man sausage (allegedly) and hey presto he's the GK coach..... :|

I put it down to Wenger's almost psychotic abandonment of anything and everything that even had a sniff of defensive responsibility.

Although the irony of an utterly shit keeper (Flappy) and an utterly average keeper (Chesney) taking the piss out of another utterly average keeper is not lost on me. :lol:
:flag:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 am
Herd wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:10 am
Gerry Payton was a very lucky man !
Wenger pushed Wilson out of the door when Seaman retired saying we don't need a goalkeeping coach and promptly hired Gerry Payton a person with Zero connections with Arsenal.
Wenger I'l guess was jealous of Wilsons high standing amongst all at Arsenal including the players ,Wilson still has that Aura of authority about him today ,I'm surprised he didn't manage himself ,he had the temperament ,and the brains.

Wenger gets rid or subverts anyone who is well thought of ,Steve Bould was another example ,no one could be well though of except for TOF himself .
I've never heard anyone say anything good about Payton but got a Job for 15 years .

He got me tickets for the champions league final and the fa cup semi v chavs, and two of the cardiff cup finals 8)
Well, clearly he was a better ticket tout than he was a goalkeeper coach. :? :D

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

1989 wrote:

its mindblowing isn't it ?

the Hazard stuff just shows how outdated we were. even the England Keeper in the summer had a cheat sheet to remind him which way to dive :banghead:

i will be very interested to see how Chesney does - i always thought he had potential. we might forget, but he won the Golden Glove in 2014 before we sent him on loan to Roma. it seems clear now, that the unforced errors and lack of confidence & judgement were down to poor coaching.

he's let in 8 goals so far in 13 league games.

i think we did him a wrong in, just like Gnabry. at 28 he is still approaching his prime for a GK.

the ex-manager was a fossil, a lying, thieving one at that. he may of taken credit for 'revolutionising' the game when he arrived ( he didn't, Gullit & Vialli already had the chavs stop boozing and eating well in 1995, two years before the ex-managers arrival...) but when he left he was still in 1997.

twat.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

I think DB10's comments about him being behind a solid defence in a shitehouse division holds some truth. He did have some good traits and I think he is a decent (not great or world class keeper), he also had an attitude problem so I can understand why we got rid. But he was probably under the worst coaching conditions in professional football.

I think the one you touched on Gnabry is even more strange, he seemed to have everything, no talk of a bad attitude, nice first touch, worked hard, could cross, could cut inside was fast, and was built like a little tank, he was dropped if memory serves to make way for Joel Campbell at the time, as wally and chamberpot were injured.

The arsenal contracts seemed to be given out by a roll of a dice, none of the renewals, loans, lack of renewals made any sense as far back as the Pires bullshit. It was a slow decent into madness.

I will go as far as to say even coco the clown almunia as shit as he was went into a decline after being at Arsenal for a while, and nearly every youth/young player who was not a born world beater like Henry, Fabregas, Cole, Anelka, RVP went into decline as soon as Wenger got his hands on them.

chamberpot left a worse player than we signed, wally never improved to have a professional footballers first touch, he ruined Wilshere, Gnabry probably Szczesny. diaby (not all his fault) etc etc

the whole thing about him bringing through youth is a myth, he played scatter gun with it by giving them all long and expensive contracts that no other club would sanction, and when he found a decent one he ruined them.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:58 pm
1989 wrote:

the Hazard stuff just shows how outdated we were. even the England Keeper in the summer had a cheat sheet to remind him which way to dive :banghead:

i will be very interested to see how Chesney does - i always thought he had potential. we might forget, but he won the Golden Glove in 2014 before we sent him on loan to Roma. it seems clear now, that the unforced errors and lack of confidence & judgement were down to poor coaching.

i think we did him a wrong in, just like Gnabry. at 28 he is still approaching his prime for a GK.

the ex-manager was a fossil, a lying, thieving one at that. he may of taken credit for 'revolutionising' the game when he arrived ( he didn't, Gullit & Vialli already had the chavs stop boozing and eating well in 1995, two years before the ex-managers arrival...) but when he left he was still in 1997.

twat.
Sorry mate but that is some of the worst revisionist shit I've read on here and I'm surprised at you posting it as you usually come across as being well informed and intelligent. :wink:

Whatever Wenger became there is simply no denying he was a superb manager for his first 10 years with us. No amount of hatred can change that fact.

And he absolutely revolutionised the English game when he arrived.

Gullit did not get rid of the drinking culture at the chav in 1995. All he did was get them off the steak and chips and onto pasta. David O'Leary had been eating properly since the 1970s! Why not credit him ahead of Wenger?! :D :wink:

There was a drinking culture at the Chavs right up into the mid 2000s and it went off the rails in the early 2000s with the chav Terry. As for Vialli? In 1995? Great trick.... as he didn't join the chav until 1996. :lol:

What Wenger did was not just changing the diet and banning booze. He utterly changed the way players trained, prepared for matches and recovered after matches. He introduced the concept of two interchanging mobile physically powerful central midfielders. His use of proper prolonged stretching exercises and massage helped prolong the careers of Adams Bouldy Dixon Nutty etc. Every single one of those players credit him with that.

He stayed 10 years too long and became a caricature of himself and got left behind by a fastly developing game but it's ridiculous to try and debased his early achievements because of a dislike of what he later became. No shit or lucky manager wins 2 Doubles and an unbeaten PL season.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

First ten years Wenger was way ahead of his game imo. Then he became a bit of a fanatic about the passing game, then in the end I think he lost his way completely, and football had moved on.

One thing to remember is he was younger I think than klopp when he was winning doubles, that kind of puts in perspective

It's sad that I will remember him just as much for the shit situation we are in now as I will for the first 10 years

augie

Post by augie »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 am
First ten years Wenger was way ahead of his game imo. Then he became a bit of a fanatic about the passing game, then in the end I think he lost his way completely, and football had moved on.

One thing to remember is he was younger I think than klopp when he was winning doubles, that kind of puts in perspective

It's sad that I will remember him just as much for the shit situation we are in now as I will for the first 10 years

I know that wenker was a great manager for the first 8-10 years of his reign so I aint trying to suggest otherwise, but it could be argued that he lost his way as soon as the last of the GG squad left the club - like it or not GG instilled a refuse to back down/winners attitude in the club during his tenure, and without that GG backbone for the early wenger years, we may not have seen those successes. It has long been known that during the 98 double season TA6 and the defence pulled the midfielders up and told them what they were doing wrong and why the team was not maximising it's talents - it seems to be accepted by all that this intervention was the turning point of that season, and for me it provides a fine insight intoo the value of TA6 and his allies. Without question they managed the team on the pitch, and it seems that wenger lost his way somewhat when the last of that group left the club

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

re the whole culture of boozing in football - i think i've heard hoddle did put (or attempt) to put a stop to it as chelski manager, but this was an inherited tactic from his time at monaco under wenger

as for fabianski being a useless keeper, i think you'd be hard to pressed to find any swansea fan who agrees with that as he was the top performing keeper in the league for the last two or so seasons they were in the to flight, he kept them up in 2017 and was unlucky the next season. people will spout the myth about facing more shots but honestly the number of clean sheets he kept down there was unreal conisdering how fucking bobbins they were.

chesney is more erratic, but is capable or pulling off a good save. i'd call it joe hart syndrome 8)

GTG

Post by GTG »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:03 am
clockender1 wrote:
1989 wrote:

twat.
Sorry mate but that is some of the worst revisionist shit I've read on here and I'm surprised at you posting it as you usually come across as being well informed and intelligent. :wink:

Whatever Wenger became there is simply no denying he was a superb manager for his first 10 years with us. No amount of hatred can change that fact.

Gullit did not get rid of the drinking culture at the chav in 1995. All he did was get them off the steak and chips and onto pasta. David O'Leary had been eating properly since the 1970s! Why not credit him ahead of Wenger?! :D :wink:

There was a drinking culture at the Chavs right up into the mid 2000s and it went off the rails in the early 2000s with the chav Terry. As for Vialli? In 1995? Great trick.... as he didn't join the chav until 1996. :lol:

What Wenger did was not just changing the diet and banning booze. He utterly changed the way players trained, prepared for matches and recovered after matches. He introduced the concept of two interchanging mobile physically powerful central midfielders. His use of proper prolonged stretching exercises and massage helped prolong the careers of Adams Bouldy Dixon Nutty etc. Every single one of those players credit him with that.

He stayed 10 years too long and became a caricature of himself and got left behind by a fastly developing game but it's ridiculous to try and debased his early achievements because of a dislike of what he later became. No shit or lucky manager wins 2 Doubles and an unbeaten PL season.
"FFS we already have a Wenger thread.... Merged" :) :D :lol:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

I dunno, DB. the more i think about it and the more i read about him, the more i think fortune smiled on him - he did inherit the best back five in modern football, plus Parlour, Platt, Wrighty and Bergkamp, and he got to cherry pick the greatest ever generation of French players first.

the diet, stretching, the facilities etc i'll give you but he was only copying what they had been doing in Europe for years, it was a stranger to the English players but not the likes of Gullit and Vialli. and the other European players that started coming across here from 1995 onwards.

what we continue to read and are still reading that the ex-manager did no preparation, studied and taught no tactics, practiced no set pieces or shooting from range, spent only two sessions of 60 minutes on the training pitch each day, spent the breaks on holiday or commentating, and continually played players out of position and coached directness out of them.

i'm saying that what he arrived with in 1997 is what he left with. he didn't evolve or learn or even try to. he tried to replicate the squad he inherited and he did it once but then Chelsea & City moved ahead of us and we were never successful again.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:12 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

I dunno, DB. the more i think about it and the more i read about him, the more i think fortune smiled on him - he did inherit the best back five in modern football, plus Parlour, Platt, Wrighty and Bergkamp, and he got to cherry pick the greatest ever generation of French players first.

the diet, stretching, the facilities etc i'll give you but he was only copying what they had been doing in Europe for years, it was a stranger to the English players but not the likes of Gullit and Vialli. and the other European players that started coming across here from 1995 onwards.

what we continue to read and are still reading that the ex-manager did no preparation, studied and taught no tactics, practiced no set pieces or shooting from range, spent only two sessions of 60 minutes on the training pitch each day, spent the breaks on holiday or commentating, and continually played players out of position and coached directness out of them.

i'm saying that what he arrived with in 1997 is what he left with. he didn't evolve or learn or even try to. he tried to replicate the squad he inherited and he did it once but then Chelsea & City moved ahead of us and we were never successful again.
A good summary of the circumstances. Fortune smiled on TOF indeed.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:33 pm
clockender1 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

A good summary of the circumstances. Fortune smiled on TOF indeed.
FFS as much as I now despise wenger, to suggest his success was down to good fortune is ridiculous!
Admittedly the core of the squad, the defence in particular, afforded him a rock solid platform to build from.
He did however changed the entire culture at the club from diet to training and the way we played football
And to get those players to buy into his philosophy is a measure of the manager he was then.
I do though still feel he underachieved due to his limited tactical ability, we should have won 4 or 5 titles in a row, and his failure to deliver a champions league was imo entirely down to this!
We had imo the best starting 11 and bench in europe with pv4, th14, pires gilberto, freddie, etc! and to not even come close? Says it all really!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I kinda agree with most of that CE1 and absolutely 100% agree with your last paragraph in red.

I also agree with what other posters say about him being lucky to inherit the back 5. But I don't agree his success was down to only luck. He was a great manager back in that first decade.... and a shockingly shit ego-driven maniac in his last decade.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GTG wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
clockender1 wrote:
1989 wrote:

twat.

"FFS we already have a Wenger thread.... Merged" :) :D :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Superb. 8)

I'll take that one on the chin. Much ĺike Spuddy in the prison showers. :shock:

:wink: