Saints (A) 16/12 @ 13:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Re: Saints (A) 16/12 @ 13:30

Post by 1989 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm
If anyone thinks we are bringing in a load of new players in January they are deluding themselves I'm afraid. We'll be lucky to get one or two signings..... and who is going to sell top quality players to us mid season?
Well, Dortmund sold us Aubameyang last January.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

1989 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:38 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm
If anyone thinks we are bringing in a load of new players in January they are deluding themselves I'm afraid. We'll be lucky to get one or two signings..... and who is going to sell top quality players to us mid season?
Well, Dortmund sold us Aubameyang last January.
He had burnt his bridges there though with his attitude and as much as I like the Boomerang he is a good striker (and very good occasionally) but he is not a top class striker. That's not to say he won't develop into top class under Dick but when we bought him and also at present he isn't at that level.

And the positions we need to fill in that defence need a couple of top class players not good or average (we already have a mix of those) but top class. I just can't see us getting them tbh.

Post by 1989 »

Auba's scoring rate was 0.88 goals per game (21 in 24) in the Bundesliga and Champions League when we signed him. He scored 141 goals in 213 for them overall which is as elite as it gets unless your name is Messi or Ronaldo.

I think we can get a quality winger next month as there's plenty of them about at the moment. There's Nicolas Pepe at Lille, Christian Pavon at Boca Juniors and Cengiz Under at Roma all of whom we've been linked with and would add something to our team. Obviously a CB is needed as well but that seems a little harder to get unless you're shopping in the bargain bin for the likes of Gary Cahill. I think Emery will probably end up bringing in a temporary solution on a loan deal and hope that someone like Mavropanos would step up.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

1989 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:20 am
Auba's scoring rate was 0.88 goals per game (21 in 24) in the Bundesliga and Champions League when we signed him. He scored 141 goals in 213 for them overall which is as elite as it gets unless your name is Messi or Ronaldo.

I think we can get a quality winger next month as there's plenty of them about at the moment. There's Nicolas Pepe at Lille, Christian Pavon at Boca Juniors and Cengiz Under at Roma all of whom we've been linked with and would add something to our team. Obviously a CB is needed as well but that seems a little harder to get unless you're shopping in the bargain bin for the likes of Gary Cahill. I think Emery will probably end up bringing in a temporary solution on a loan deal and hope that someone like Mavropanos would step up.
As much as people talk up the Bundesliga it's a shit weak league and not a patch on the PL or the Spanish league. If he kept that scoring rate up for 2 or 3 seasons in the PL then fine but he hasn't and I don't think he will, though I hope he does. But tbh who would not replace Boomerang tomorrow with Kane or Aguero or Salah if they could? He's not at their level.

And the obvious problem with those players you list as gettable is are they good enough tough enough and fast enough for the PL?

I think the Cahill option or something similar is the one we will end up with tbh.....

Post by 1989 »

His rate is 0.67 goals per game (22 in 33) in the PL and Europa since signing for us which is basically identical to his record for Dortmund (141 in 213 or 0.66 per game). The players you mentioned are top quality but Aubameyang is right up there and the stats prove that. Look at who the top scorer in the league is, and he doesn't even have a winger to make him even more effective like he did at Dortmund with the likes of Dembele putting crosses on a plate for him.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

1989 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 am
His rate is 0.67 goals per game (22 in 33) in the PL and Europa since signing for us which is basically identical to his record for Dortmund (141 in 213 or 0.66 per game). The players you mentioned are top quality but Aubameyang is right up there and the stats prove that. Look at who the top scorer in the league is, and he doesn't even have a winger to make him even more effective like he did at Dortmund with the likes of Dembele putting crosses on a plate for him.
And he has missed 16 "big chances" according to those same stat pages, which I think is the problem with him - he seems to need too many chances to score and misses too many. Not saying he is poor or shit or anything but he is not for me anyway a top class striker until he can keep that goal rate up (or improve on it) over the next 2 or 3 seasons. Forget who the top scorer in the PL is in December - that's Wengerthink. The PL runs until May. To quote The (former) Glorious Leader; judge him in May. :lol: My money is on him not being near those three for goals at that point. At present I'd take Kane, Aguero or Salah ahead of him in a heartbeat tbh.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Aubameyang is good enough to be a world class goal scorer.

He isn’t an all-round striker but he is a player who can have a quiet game and score twice. Regularly.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 pm
Aubameyang is good enough to be a world class goal scorer.

He isn’t an all-round striker but he is a player who can have a quiet game and score twice. Regularly.
Are you saying he is a world class goal scorer or he has the potential to become a world class goal scorer? If it's the first I disagree at the moment. If it's the second option I agree 100%.

For me he misses a lot of chances, so he needs a lot of chances created for him to allow for that. He's not physical enough to be a ball winner in the air so whipping high crosses in at him is a waste (if we had anyone that can actually cross).

He looks better getting the ball in behind through the middle a yard ahead of him which means if Dick can't work out the Ozil situation he needs to look at another midfield creator / number 10 that can pick out that ball.

Tbh I still think we'd get the best out of our front line starting both Boomerang and Lacazette with Ozil as the 10 in a 4-4-2 diamond. It might take 2 or 5 or maybe even 10 games to fully gel, but it would be great to see Dick try it.