FA Cup Blackpool (A) Sat 17:30 PM @Bloomfield Road

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: FA Cup Blackpool (A) Sat 17:30 PM @Bloomfield Road

Post by OneBardGooner »

Why has he brought Lacazette on? We are 2 nil up and he brings on a player we definitely need un-injured. :?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Agree it’s just asking for trouble on that pitch.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Hilarious how much McManaman hates us.

Good comfortable win this given the side we put out. Important to score early on to dampen any enthusiasm for them.

Iwobi has given them a pretty torrid time. Actually have no problem with him bringing on Lacazette - better at 2-0 and hope he can get or help create the one that puts it to bed (as he did) rather than hoping we don’t have to chuck him on at 2-1 when we’re clinging on. They haven’t put in a bad tackle all game either. It’s a world away from Sanchez against Sutton.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

augie wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:12 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:09 pm
Willock with two proper poachers goals :barscarf: :barscarf:

Have to say that I'm still not convinced by the guy - he looks too heavy and slow to be a player at the top level, but again I hope that I am way wrong cos I want to see kids coming through the academy into first team
Being honest none of our youngsters that I’ve seen look up to much for me, save for Nelson who is obviously tearing up trees in Germany. Hard to say with Maitland-Nile’s as he has only really played at full back where he will never make it.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Comfortable win, no injuries not much more to say COYG :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Job done. Can’t quibble with that.

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 pm
Why has he brought Lacazette on? We are 2 nil up and he brings on a player we definitely need un-injured. :?

You can see the frustration becoming more and more evident with lacazette with each passing game - he is a top striker and like all top strikers, he isnt happy unless he is scoring, but the rest of the team were in professional mode at that stage and were content to just see the game out. You cant blame anyone there either cos neither viewpoint is wrong, but I seen a little bit of sanchez mode with laca near the end where he was trying to get the rest of the team to press high with him, and he was frustrated that they sat deeper

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Midz

Post by Midz »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:17 pm
BBC: 3 minutes of highlights:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46730967
Nice, thank you.

markyp

Post by markyp »

northbank123 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 pm
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Have to say that I'm still not convinced by the guy - he looks too heavy and slow to be a player at the top level, but again I hope that I am way wrong cos I want to see kids coming through the academy into first team
Being honest none of our youngsters that I’ve seen look up to much for me, save for Nelson who is obviously tearing up trees in Germany. Hard to say with Maitland-Nile’s as he has only really played at full back where he will never make it.
ESR looks like he will make the grade as he is up to speed now

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

markyp wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:01 am
northbank123 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 pm
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

ESR looks like he will make the grade as he is up to speed now
He’s done fairly well in a few league cup / Europa league appearances against garbage. Not sure that means that he is “up to speed now”.

Certainly not writing him off or anything like that but he is almost certainly no better than what the other good clubs have in their academies.

Think about how many of our academy players have “made the grade” over the last decade or so.

On that note I’ve just had a look and noticed that Wilshere has managed 5 minutes of PL football since 1 September, and is out indefinitely with no estimated return date. We were well shot of him and like Walcott he should have been sold years ago when Brendan Rodgers would have gladly thrown fistfuls of cash at us for both at Liverpool.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Very probably the strangest atmosphere I've ever encountered at an Arsenal away match.

Note to banner wavers/march protestors - these guys at Blackpool are showing how it really should be done. Less than 3,000 of their own fans for a big cup tie and was speaking to some guys outside who were handing out leaflets - they haven't set foot in the ground for more than 3 years, won't even do away games unless they can pay on the gate of the home team because they refuse to buy anything from Blackpool FC/Oyston. These weren't jumped up little twats either - blokes in their 40s and 50s who had followed the team home and away all their lives. If you want to hit a twattish owner where it hurts stop going to games, don't buy the stuff from the club shops etc......really impressed how they're doing it

The flip side of course is what it does to the players on the pitch who surely deserve better. 3-0 at an absolute canter - weirdly easy with no dramas....can't remember many of them !

Good weekend all round

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:38 am
Very probably the strangest atmosphere I've ever encountered at an Arsenal away match.

Note to banner wavers/march protestors - these guys at Blackpool are showing how it really should be done. Less than 3,000 of their own fans for a big cup tie and was speaking to some guys outside who were handing out leaflets - they haven't set foot in the ground for more than 3 years, won't even do away games unless they can pay on the gate of the home team because they refuse to buy anything from Blackpool FC/Oyston. These weren't jumped up little twats either - blokes in their 40s and 50s who had followed the team home and away all their lives. If you want to hit a twattish owner where it hurts stop going to games, don't buy the stuff from the club shops etc......really impressed how they're doing it

The flip side of course is what it does to the players on the pitch who surely deserve better. 3-0 at an absolute canter - weirdly easy with no dramas....can't remember many of them !

Good weekend all round
I can see this approach being needed at Arsenal in the coming years, as people get frustrated with Kroenke's lack of investment (he has yet to invest anything)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:55 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Good weekend all round
I can see this approach being needed at Arsenal in the coming years, as people get frustrated with Kroenke's lack of investment (he has yet to invest anything)
Whilst Wenger had to go as he was taking us backwards on the pitch, I've always maintained that this fella will take us further and further down off the pitch......and ultimately we all know there is eventually a correlation between finances and performance. I strongly believe that by the time Kroenke has finished with us we will be a mid table team at best languishing behind the likes of Everton and anyone else in the mid-tier that have more committed owners. The likes of Wolves could even join that list. Its already criminal how he has spurned 20 years of CL football advantage over the likes of Spurs (and Liverpool for much of that period) and the biggest matchday revenues in the country and somehow seen us slip behind those two. He was personally responsible for keeping Wenger years beyond his sell by date, and giving Gazidis the freedom to do commercial deals below the market level and bring in a host of muppets on the commercial side. He hasn't got an Arsenal bone in his body and is here to reap the rewards of the property portfolio and the further explosion in broadcasting revenues. One day I hope our fans will unify in the way Blackpool's have

GTG

Post by GTG »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:13 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:55 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Good weekend all round
Whilst Wenger had to go as he was taking us backwards on the pitch, I've always maintained that this fella will take us further and further down off the pitch......and ultimately we all know there is eventually a correlation between finances and performance. I strongly believe that by the time Kroenke has finished with us we will be a mid table team at best languishing behind the likes of Everton and anyone else in the mid-tier that have more committed owners. The likes of Wolves could even join that list. Its already criminal how he has spurned 20 years of CL football advantage over the likes of Spurs (and Liverpool for much of that period) and the biggest matchday revenues in the country and somehow seen us slip behind those two. He was personally responsible for keeping Wenger years beyond his sell by date, and giving Gazidis the freedom to do commercial deals below the market level and bring in a host of muppets on the commercial side. He hasn't got an Arsenal bone in his body and is here to reap the rewards of the property portfolio and the further explosion in broadcasting revenues. One day I hope our fans will unify in the way Blackpool's have
Fully agree with you. Wenger was someone who divided the fans. Kronke most certainly doesn't and like you say hopefully sooner rather than later we can all come together in the way that Blackpool fans have.

It was one of most bizarre experiences i've had walking towards the ground before kick off and streams of blackpool fans heading the other way. Full credit to them for what they're doing.

Our lot on the other hand were happily buying food and drink in there even though it had been requested that we didn't.

We dont have it anywhere near as bad as them but the sentiments are still the same and we should be standing side by side without anyone whos trying to make a stand. It reminded me of the Bayern ticket protest debacle where instead of staying outside to support what they were doing for once everyone decided to get in early :roll:

Anyway top trip as always on fa cup day. Great craic in the bars before and after. Cant wait to see who we get next round.