Sokratis

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
JimmyAFC

Sokratis

Post by JimmyAFC »

Feel free to merge this thread I just wanted to say how much I love this bloke!!!

No bullshit social media accounts.

Proper old school defender who's a leader and won't take any shit from the opponents.

Puts his body on the line and is determined as ever.

He's been an immense signing.

SPARTAN.

:barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Sokratis

Post by StuartL »

JimmyAFC wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:59 am
Feel free to merge this thread I just wanted to say how much I love this bloke!!!

Proper old school defender who's a leader and won't take any shit from the opponents.

SPARTAN.

We finally have someone who relishes a physical battle - old school is spot on, no nonsense, doesn’t try to play “pretty” just gets in with it.
Still makes me shudder to think back to Kos being bullied by Jason Roberts, Senderos being ragdolled by Drogba and the likes of Djourou against anyone.

Shame he is 30 ? Still hopefully has another 2 seasons or so in him

augie

Post by augie »

Love the guy and have from the very start - the pace issue is confusing cos people seem to have this idea that he lacks pace, but sprinting tests earlier this season had him as the second fastest player in the squad :?

I love the way defending alone isnt enough for the guy - he wants and expects every guy alongside him to have the same ruthless no nonsense attitude to defending, and making a big tackle or block is more important to him than scoring a goal at the other end

The one concern I have with him is that he does seem to be a bit handsy/grabby in our penalty area - if one of our players gives away a penalty for a tackle it is bad enough, but to give one away from a cheap grab of his opponents arm would be stupid

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'm just amazed that it took this long to sign him given that the former goon told us how we'd scouted every player day and night but that none were available for the right price. None that is of course except Debuchy for 12m, Chambers for 16m, and Mustafi for 35m. How much did Sokratis cost?

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

JimmyAFC wrote:

SPARTAN.

The historical Sokratis was actually Athenian :proudtosay:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

CloakedGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:00 pm
JimmyAFC wrote:

SPARTAN.

Do you mean SOCRATES, philosopher from Athens?

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

CloakedGooner wrote:
JimmyAFC wrote:

SPARTAN.

Yep, I had a picture of him playing tennis, scratching his bum, on my wall.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This is his friendly, smiley, happy face, Oh! Yes.

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

And yes he IS innocent.

:proudtosay:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Relatively limited ability-wise but has performed well amongst chaos at the back. Imagine having to play next to Mustafi, alongside Lichtsteiner and Kolasinac and behind Xhaka. Would make Virgil Van Dijk look like Dick Van Dike.

Personality-wise he is spot on. Loves a scrap, won’t shirk from a fight or a tackle and is a bit nasty to boot. Haven’t had a CB like that for god knows how long.

Harry Kane always has joy against us but in the league game was anonymous. Why? Because every time he dropped deep to get the ball, this fella was right up his arse and either nicked in or just kicked him and gave away a free kick in a nothing area. Wasn’t pretty but was fucking effective.

Fast forward a few weeks and our supposed dicking at their hands came because both goals (constituting 2 of their 3 chances) arose from their forward players dropping deep and being given time to bring the ball down and turn into acres of space. Rather than having a big hairy Greek bastard going through the back of them.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm
CloakedGooner wrote:
JimmyAFC wrote:

SPARTAN.

:roll:

I knew someone would be sad enough to go and Google how it was spelled. I'm glad it was you! Yes technically spelled differently IN ENGLISH but pronounced exactly the same, and modern Greek writing is not really comparable to Ancient Greek writing at all so your point is invalid :lol:

You're talking shite :wink:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 pm
Relatively limited ability-wise but has performed well amongst chaos at the back. Imagine having to play next to Mustafi, alongside Lichtsteiner and Kolasinac and behind Xhaka. Would make Virgil Van Dijk look like Dick Van Dike.

Personality-wise he is spot on. Loves a scrap, won’t shirk from a fight or a tackle and is a bit nasty to boot. Haven’t had a CB like that for god knows how long.

Harry Kane always has joy against us but in the league game was anonymous. Why? Because every time he dropped deep to get the ball, this fella was right up his arse and either nicked in or just kicked him and gave away a free kick in a nothing area. Wasn’t pretty but was fucking effective.

Fast forward a few weeks and our supposed dicking at their hands came because both goals (constituting 2 of their 3 chances) arose from their forward players dropping deep and being given time to bring the ball down and turn into acres of space. Rather than having a big hairy Greek bastard going through the back of them.

That’s Rodders favourite film clip you know :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

CloakedGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:49 pm
Redarmy wrote:
CloakedGooner wrote:
JimmyAFC wrote:

SPARTAN.

I knew someone would be sad enough to go and Google how it was spelled. I'm glad it was you! Yes technically spelled differently IN ENGLISH but pronounced exactly the same, and modern Greek writing is not really comparable to Ancient Greek writing at all so your point is invalid :lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:47 am
CloakedGooner wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
CloakedGooner wrote:
JimmyAFC wrote:

SPARTAN.

Some issues here by the look of it :D

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 am
Redarmy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:47 am
CloakedGooner wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
CloakedGooner wrote:

Some issues here by the look of it :D

Yep! I also see dead people :worried: