FA Cup - Mancs at home 19:55 Friday 25th

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BFG4

Re: FA Cup - Mancs at home 19:55 Friday 25th

Post by BFG4 »

How the fuck do you sum up that bollocks. I'm ok with us being shit defensively - especially considering we have been shit all season and we have injuries, but i'm not ok with setting up in a way that plays directly into their hands :roll: Everyone knew we would over commit in attack, and they would counter-attack so why do it? Why not at least try to do something different. Also, i have said it a million times, but how often this season have we created fuck all in attack, yet expect to win the game :banghead: Then on top of everything, Emery brings on Ozil(after fucking him about for months). I don't know if Emery is a great manager dealing with shit players or a shit manager dealing with shit players :? Anyway, with an absent owner, not willing to part with a cent in order to improve us, we are truly fucked. My only solace will be in seeing the patriots destroy wiggy's rams in the super bowl next weekend.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

BFG4 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:24 pm
How the fuck do you sum up that bollocks. I'm ok with us being shit defensively - especially considering we have been shit all season and we have injuries, but i'm not ok with setting up in a way that plays directly into their hands :roll: Everyone knew we would over commit in attack, and they would counter-attack so why do it? Why not at least try to do something different. Also, i have said it a million times, but how often this season have we created fuck all in attack, yet expect to win the game :banghead: Then on top of everything, Emery brings on Ozil(after fucking him about for months). I don't know if Emery is a great manager dealing with shit players or a shit manager dealing with shit players :? Anyway, with an absent owner, not willing to part with a cent in order to improve us, we are truly fucked. My only solace will be in seeing the patriots destroy wiggy's rams in the super bowl next weekend.
I think he's a good manager who is currentl dealing with a lot of average players who he knows aren't good enough or who won't be around too long. This season is about finding out, getting rid and starting again properly on July 1st. I reckon by this time next year, half those players out there tonight will be somewhere else.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

cameron326 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:19 pm
Everyone prior to Emery’s arrival “He may need at least a couple of seasons to get us back in the top 4”.
Currently three points off top 4 barely more than half way through first season in charge, and some people want him gone already. :D Got to love the patience of the modern fan.
Exactly. The squad is garbage despite being improved by Emery’s signings and Lacazette looking like a good striker rather than the limp piece of crap he was under Wenger. We are desperate for signings but he’s been told he’s got no money to buy anyone. It’s a fucking joke.

Our defenders are falling apart every game - I make that about 12 substitutions in 12 games we have used on defenders going off. Bellerin out for the season, Holding out for the season, Sokratis looks like a nasty injury, Koscielny off again and Monreal still not properly fit from his third or fourth injury of the season. A good defence would be decimated by that.

I’m sorry but for everybody proclaiming how shit United are, their squad is better than ours. Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Sanchez and Lingard - look at the devastating pace there even without their 75m striker. Matic was superb winning the league for Chelsea, de Gea is the best keeper on the planet, Mata can’t get a look in and everybody else in their team cost around 30m or more. They’ve lost 3 league games in about 65 at home (2 to City) but people still think we should be thrashing them.

Likewise our squad is miles behind Spurs. Their keeper and back 4 piss all over ours and Eriksen, Kane and Son would be the first 3 attacking names on the team sheet. Again, after thrashing them in the league then some people wanted Emery’s head because we lost at home to them in a game where like tonight I thought we were a bit unfortunate.

There’s no perspective out there at all.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

There are teams out there with much worse defenders who ship less goals than us, whether people are willing to admit it or not we have a serious problem with the way we defend and it is not just down to the players. Arguably the Mancs defence is worse than ours and possibly the Victims and then there is Newcastle who are in 17th and have shipped the same number of goals.

I dont dispute there have been some improvements under UE but the defence is not improving, if anything its getting worse, whether its him, Bould or someone else he has to take ultimate responsibility as the head coach.

Also what the fuck is with the number of injuries we're getting, i remember a few seasons back under Wenger we had a swathe of injuries and we were going mental over his training regimes and the Dr Deaths in the medical team, i thought we'd got shot of them.... did they all sneak back in the back door or something :?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

To be fair under Wenger people were losing their shit over the amount of muscular injuries we were picking up - it was an absolute fucking joke shop.

Since Shad came in that’s been reduced dramatically but you can’t legislate for the type of injuries we’ve had this season. Welbeck went up for a header and bust his ankle on landing, Sokrites landed awkwardly tonight coming down from a header (fingers crossed not too serious), Holding and Bellerin both did ACL’s which is just sheer bad luck.

Even Kos tonight gets stepped on FFS :banghead:

To be fair but we haven’t had many, if any, hamstring or othe muscular injuries this season, we’ve just been shit out of luck.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

cameron326 wrote:
Everyone prior to Emery’s arrival “He may need at least a couple of seasons to get us back in the top 4”.
Currently three points off top 4 barely more than half way through first season in charge, and some people want him gone already. :D Got to love the patience of the modern fan.
Anyone wanting Emery gone is an idiot but there are definitely aspects of tonight that are down to him. Before a ball was kicked, the big fear was we over commit in attack and allow them to counter on us, yet we did it time and again. I'm all for giving Emery a chance but if he is going to be clueless tactically, then he deserves to be called out on it.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

BFG4 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm
cameron326 wrote:
Anyone wanting Emery gone is an idiot but there are definitely aspects of tonight that are down to him. Before a ball was kicked, the big fear was we over commit in attack and allow them to counter on us, yet we did it time and again. I'm all for giving Emery a chance but if he is going to be clueless tactically, then he deserves to be called out on it.
Its an agenda now isn't it, all those AKB's just looking for the slightest failings of an Emery team. Tbh this isn't an Emery team especially the defence, it's very hard to train defenders that had years of Wenger telling them nothing about tactics. I don't blame Maitland Niles for not stepping up and putting Sanchez in an offside position, he shouldn't have been right back in the first place.

That's a consequence of an owner who won't put his money where his mouth is. City get round FFP, so do PSG so there is no reason we can't do the same.

Emery's tactics were spot on against the Spuds and Chelski, with this team can we honestly expect him to get it right every time. I don't think so, especially against this United side who are on fire at the moment.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I suppose if you are searching for some small positive tonight it’s that this means we are going to have one or two free weekends before the Europa games and Christ knows this team is going to need every advantage it can get if we are to go and win that.

The way we’re being ravaged by injuries we just don’t have the squad to compete on 3 fronts (debatable whether we have a squad to compete on any front being brutally honest) and if the prospect of scraping top 4 goes starts to gosouth, which you fear it might, then we will have to put all our eggs in the Europa basket and go all out to win it.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 pm
In some ways, I'm actually relieved we're out of the cup because the focus needs to be on the UEFA Cup and the league. The FA Cup just patches over things as it didn with the old *word censored*.
Yeah, this post has given me a bit of a perspective after a fucking awful result and performance. Saw a few posts on the forum this week saying the FA Cup is our best chance of a trophy this season, but tbh, as long as Man City are still in it, it's not something we're going to be winning.

I don't think we'll win the Europa either, as we're not consistent enough, but there aren't any teams I'm particularly fearful of left in it. My guess is we'll finish sixth and win nothing, which is the same as last season. Some people said we might get a lot worse before things get better, so if Emery can tread water this year and then get us going again next season, I'm okay with that.

Some fucking awful performances tonight though. Cech has already been slated throughout this thread (and rightly so), but Xhaka and Maitland-Niles need to fuck right off as well. Xhaka's mistakes cost us a goal every game, and Niles is like a deer in the headlights and seems to lose the ball 90% of the time he's involved in a passage of play. Not fit to wear the shirt IMO, even with the injuries.

My frustration with Emery is that he's allowing the same players to make the same mistakes over and over again. Lacazette's shitty back heels are another example, and Xhaka needs to be banned from his token long-range shot that goes into Row Z too. The defeats are starting to feel like Groundhog Day, but naturally I'm willing to give him time because the club was left in such a bad state by Wenger, and Kroenke refusing to let him buy anyone isn't helping either. I get the sense that if Kroenke doesn't make funds available in the summer, Emery may decide to walk after just one year. Just a hunch.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Well that was another fun night at the bowl. How the fuck did we manage to throw that away. Manure are bog average and we still managed to lose.

Helmet head never plays for us again, ever....but the great and good of the football world (the same old wenker lovers) are too busy crowing about his former glories to look at what he is doing now. We don't need to play a cup keeper so get rid of the useless twat.

WTF were iwobi and kolasinac playing at tonight. The number of times we had a promising attack on the left only for one of those fuckwits to cut back, fuck about with the ball then lose it rather than just get the ball into the box. We've got strikers looking for a final ball into them but.....nothing. Kolasinac used to have a bit of cut and thrust about him getting into the box but tonight we got a shambles. Those pointless little passes to each other because neither of them knew what to do. It was almost as if they were under instruction not to get to the bye line and cross it. More than a touch of the wenkers about us tonight. Citeh would have put 5 past that manure side.

JimmyAFC

Post by JimmyAFC »

I have never had so much hatred for a club in my life.

Lingard, Pogba, Rashford, Sanchez.

F****** C**** :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

That was like a Wenger game at its worst. All pedestrian thread the eye of the needle stuff going forward and keystone cops at the back.

After the Liverpool game thought we might've learned a bit but that was defending of the worst order. For the first two goals we looked like we were deliberately trying to make space for them to score. Most Championship sides can spring the offside trap better than us for their first. Second goal Xhaka and Torreira are both way too forward when both our fullbacks were also up. Its textbook stuff on how not to defend, week after week.

Jury is absolutely 100% out on Emery for me. We needed a coach to fix our defence but its getting worse, injuries notwithstanding. We'll finish 6th without a doubt. Fans need to start boycotting again and leaving empty seats to keep the pressure on Kroenke and send a message that we wont stand for more false dawns and a huge transfer fund is needed for next summer. It worked to get rid of Wenger and its the only $message$ wiggy and his boy understand.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Awful night, just fucking awful. Thought we were doing ok until the Sokratis injury but after that , despite owning the ball at times, it was a shambles. It was tedious and predictable going forward, final third it was slow , slow then stop.
Lacazette played ok but he is becoming Ramsey like in his squandering of possession outside the box. Ramsey was ok in the first half..Iwobi does try but he just is not a top class player. I really would want more from Aubameyang, talented as he is I think he looks too disinterested at times.
Xhaka was anonymous again.Kolasinic cannot defend like a defender. One occasion in the first half he stood ten yards off the United player on the right wing before realising he should stroll over and cover the player.
Why the fuck do we need a Cup goalkeeper? Leno isn't brilliant but Cech is five years past his best. Any chance in the Europa League will be gone if he is kept in goal for it.
We now have three or four defenders on long term injuries with the fabled "internal solutions " the only available remedy. Think there could be carnage in some games from here til May
I don't blame Emery, I would give him every chance but I fear he won't. He may walk away from this because Im sure the financial mess isn't something he was aware of when joining.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

United have the most arrogant fans around, they slag the Victims about living in the past but that fucking Vieira song twenty years later.?
Their temporary manager and Lingard match Delli Alli for having the face you would most love to smash in football.
They are regaining their place at football's cuntiod top table, and the media fawning over them ,while not yet on the Victim, Spuds level is also returning.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:06 pm
BFG4 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm
cameron326 wrote:
Its an agenda now isn't it, all those AKB's just looking for the slightest failings of an Emery team. Tbh this isn't an Emery team especially the defence, it's very hard to train defenders that had years of Wenger telling them nothing about tactics. I don't blame Maitland Niles for not stepping up and putting Sanchez in an offside position, he shouldn't have been right back in the first place.

That's a consequence of an owner who won't put his money where his mouth is. City get round FFP, so do PSG so there is no reason we can't do the same.

Emery's tactics were spot on against the Spuds and Chelski, with this team can we honestly expect him to get it right every time. I don't think so, especially against this United side who are on fire at the moment.
I don't know if you are lumping me in with the AKB mongs, but i'm far from it, i despised Wenger (and still do) however when Emery fucks up, he needs to be called out on it. United's game plan was obvious before a ball was kicked, so why play into their hands, that's Wengeresque. Funny you mentioned Emery's tactics were spot on against Chelsea and Spurs - yet fail to mention he was tactically poor against Brighton, Southampton and West Ham, all in the last month. The common denominator from those games was a lack of chances created and when you are shipping goals for fun, having a less than potent attack means you are going to throw away a lot of games.