Anfield 89 - 30th Anniversary!!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: Anfield 89 - 30th Anniversary!!

Post by Jock Gooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:44 am
Happy St. Michael's Day. It was up for grabs 30 years ago, nobody gave us a chance, it was like climbing a mountain and we kept our powder dry. :barscarf:
:barscarf: :barscarf:

Go fuck yourselves Messrs McMahon and Aldridge.....pair of cu.nts.

:barscarf: :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Going to Islington Bar and grill in a while to see Perry Groves and Martin Hayes and enjoy the festivities ! re run of the game q+a type of thing !
Should get Lionel !

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

"One minute", Steve MacMahon you twat!!

Arise Sir Micky Thomas.

Twats who know nothing about football say City 2012 > Arsenal 1989. We know the truth.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rewatched the game last night (as I do every May 26) and it still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end, still sends a shiver down my spine. The memory of thinking we had come so close but would ultimately fall at the final hurdle, the utter despair and hopelessness of that feeling.... and then THAT moment of pure raw bliss.

My son watched it with me and he was blown away by the spectacle of it. He said he wished the modern game was like that. And that comment made me realise how lucky I was to be of that generation when football was an amazing game played by men that didn't dive at every light touch. Of course it wasn't a perfect sport but it was still fuckloads better than the modern pc friendly soulless sanitised shit we watch nowadays.

One more minute you mouser cùnts. :lol: :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:06 am
Rewatched the game last night (as I do every May 26) and it still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end, still sends a shiver down my spine. The memory of thinking we had come so close but would ultimately fall at the final hurdle, the utter despair and hopelessness of that feeling.... and then THAT moment of pure raw bliss.

My son watched it with me and he was blown away by the spectacle of it. He said he wished the modern game was like that. And that comment made me realise how lucky I was to be of that generation when football was an amazing game played by men that didn't dive at every light touch. Of course it wasn't a perfect sport but it was still fuckloads better than the modern pc friendly soulless sanitised shit we watch nowadays.

One more minute you mouser cùnts. :lol: :barscarf:
Nice post mate, great to be able to share that with your son. And refreshing to see a youngster appreciate what football used to be liked.

Watched the whole game too. As much as I love watching the goal, you only really get the true feeling of its magnitude from watching the whole game and re-living the emotions of the night.

Agree with you that football wasn't perfect back then but that's one of the things I liked about it. I would say football back then was untamed. And that's why it was better. No contrived drama, nowhere near the same hype. As you say, it was a man's game. And was watched predominately by men and boys.

The circumstances that meant the top 2 met on the last game on a Friday night are of course tragic but this game could easily have been an anti-climax. Our players and manager showed real guts to pull that off. Football made its own drama back then and nothing beats Anfield '89 :barscarf: