Anfield 89 - 30th Anniversary!!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Anfield 89 - 30th Anniversary!!

Post by DB10GOONER »

26th May 1989.

"Thomas charging through the midfield. Thomas, it's up for grabs now!!!"

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Hard to believe it's been nearly 30 years since that night of nights, the greatest moment in football history, the most amazing incredible league win ever, never to be repeated or bettered. Ever. 8)

Anyone heard what the club might be planning to commemorate it?

I wonder if SlySports News will even acknowledge it. It did happen before the PL and SlySports invented football in 1992 after all. :roll:

What are people here planning to do personally?

I'm going to sit down with my 13 year old son and rewatch the match with pizza and a couple cold beers (Pepsi for him obviously). :wink:

DB10GOONER

Re: Anfield 89 - 30th Anniversary!!

Post by DB10GOONER »

I know it's the Daily Fail :oops: but there's a nice write up here (that also puts Aguero's PL winning goal in its place :D ) and some great photos...

https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproj ... again.html

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

For the 20th anniversary the club held a dinner at the Emirates - with most of the team present and George too, compared by Tom Watt, with players giving their memories of the season / night.
It was a good evening, a great opportunity to grab a few authographs on my 89 away shirt - only downer was the man of the moment Micky Thomas was not there.
A couple of players left early(ish) O’Leary, Smith from memory but Dixon, Winterburn, Groves, Hayes and George stayed till the end.

I’ve still got the vhs tape of the night tucked away in the loft and can see myself just before half time in the bottom left behind the goal but no longer possess and DVD player so might have to resort to 89, or the “it’s up for grabs now” dvd

Either way I will be lifting a glass of red stag to George and the boys. :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I remember a snowflake Liverpool fan being upset when Arsenal released the commemorative away shirt for the twentieth anniversary season. He felt it was disrespectful to the victims of Hillsborough.
What a night..George Knew.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:46 am
I remember a snowflake Liverpool fan being upset when Arsenal released the commemorative away shirt for the twentieth anniversary season. He felt it was disrespectful to the victims of Hillsborough.
What a night..George Knew.
I remember him coming on here getting all teary eyed and outraged. So unlike them. I suppose they'll have their own public ceremony of apology and rememberance for the 39 Juventus fans they murdered at Heysel, just like they do every year. Oh, hang on...

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

I'm feeling very, very old now.
But fuckya millenials. I still got me memories.
Mickey Thomas, Smudger, GG and the lads........
what a fuckin night.

Tho, we robbed them. It was on the cards that the title belonged to Anfield after they killed their own supporters that season.

Steve McMahon. Still an uber cvnt imho.

:barscarf:

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Read this......Mike fuckin skippy Deancvnt

DAVID HUTCHINSON (The Referee): After the first goal the Liverpool players surrounded me. There was no foul language, it was just ‘go and talk to your linesman’. But nobody said whether it was offside, whether the ball had gone in direct [from the freekick] or whether there was a foul. I asked the linesman, ‘is there any reason why it shouldn’t be a goal?’ He said ‘no’. So we gave a goal and the Liverpool players backed off. I saw Ray Houghton a while later and asked him what the protest was about. He said they were just taken aback that they had conceded the goal.

from DB10's sources @ DailyFail

:lol:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:14 pm
Read this......Mike fuckin skippy Deancvnt

DAVID HUTCHINSON (The Referee): After the first goal the Liverpool players surrounded me. There was no foul language, it was just ‘go and talk to your linesman’. But nobody said whether it was offside, whether the ball had gone in direct [from the freekick] or whether there was a foul. I asked the linesman, ‘is there any reason why it shouldn’t be a goal?’ He said ‘no’. So we gave a goal and the Liverpool players backed off. I saw Ray Houghton a while later and asked him what the protest was about. He said they were just taken aback that they had conceded the goal.

from DB10's sources @ DailyFail

I saw a transcript of their conversation a while ago
He asked had he raised his hand for an indirect free kick - Yes was the reply from the Lino ( sorry Herd)
He asked did he (Smith) touch the ball - Yes was the reply
Was it offside ? No
Is there any reason why the goal shouldn’t stand ? No

Same old scousers always whining about nothing.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:24 pm
what a fuckin night.

Tho, we robbed them. It was on the cards that the title belonged to Anfield after they killed their own supporters that season.

One minute is doing a Q&A at St Georges hall in liverpool in May, almost tempted to go and taunt him one more time. :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:34 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
what a fuckin night.

One minute is doing a Q&A at St Georges hall in liverpool in May, almost tempted to go and taunt him one more time. :barscarf: :barscarf:

That would be superb. Just wait until he is wrapping up and then stand up, raise one finger exactly as he did and say "Sorry Steve can i just have ONE MINUTE please?". :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:07 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:34 pm
The Arsenal Way wrote:
what a fuckin night.

That would be superb. Just wait until he is wrapping up and then stand up, raise one finger exactly as he did and say "Sorry Steve can i just have ONE MINUTE please?". :D

Then take yer coat off to reveal an Arsenal top on with No 4 on the back and the words "It's Up For Grabs Now" :D

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

I have toyed with the idea of doing the tour of Anfield just to get a picture in my 89 away shirt infont of the Anfield sign, showing 2-0 on my hands.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:07 pm
I have toyed with the idea of doing the tour of Anfield just to get a picture in my 89 away shirt infont of the Anfield sign, showing 2-0 on my hands.

Deffo worth doing. 8)

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Always honoured and privileged to be able to say that I was there :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:53 am
Always honoured and privileged to be able to say that I was there :barscarf:
Ah yes..... one of the lucky 48000 we had in Anfield that night..... :lol: :wink: