Stade Rennais (H) 14/3 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gp543

Stade Rennais (H) 14/3 20:00

Post by gp543 »

Hopefully we can use today's result to kick on and save our chance of a European trophy.

3-1 to the Arsenal, we progress on penalties.

clockender1

Re: Stade Rennais (H) 14/3 20:00

Post by clockender1 »

He has to stick with the back five - and with the FA Cup and the interlull coming up theres no reason not to play Leno.

Im more interested in who he starts up front - Auba obviously but iwobi and Ozil, or iwobi and Nkiteh or plays Suarez as an out and out winger ?

Torreira could even sit behind Auba maybe ?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

6-0 win! :barscarf:

(still hungover)

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

clockender1 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:40 pm
He has to stick with the back five - and with the FA Cup and the interlull coming up theres no reason not to play Leno.

Im more interested in who he starts up front - Auba obviously but iwobi and Ozil, or iwobi and Nkiteh or plays Suarez as an out and out winger ?

He'll play Cech, guaranteed. Cech wasn't too bad in the first leg, he basically did what most keepers would without be outstanding. Which for Cech, is outstanding.

Mustafi is a bigger problem, a danger actually.

I never rated AMN but hopefully yesterday was a coming of age game for him.

augie

Post by augie »

xisstential wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:24 pm
clockender1 wrote:

He'll play Cech, guaranteed. Cech wasn't too bad in the first leg, he basically did what most keepers would without be outstanding. Which for Cech, is outstanding.

100% guaranteed :evil: :evil:

I have defended dick on numerous occasions this season when I felt that he was unfairly criticised, but I fear that this will be one occasion where there can be no defending him - as clockender has said, we have no league game for almost 3 weeks now so there is no reason for dick to get cute and start resting players in this game. However I do believe that he will "rest" leno, one of the centre backs, ozil and maybe one more, and if it then goes tits up the blame will land squarely on dicks shoulders.
This time last week I felt mentally exhausted after the scum game, so I can only imagine how the players felt - the problem is that the players followed up that big high with a very low low in the first leg, and I do worry that we could see a repeat of that this week

Herd

Post by Herd »

Just win anyway you can boys ,I almost want to go to this one, in fact I just might !

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

We've 4 points from our last 2 games (let's agree to never speak of that penalty again.....deal?)

If the helmet wearing chav dickhead was in goal for those games we'd have ZERO points coming out of them. Leno has been superb of late and going in to this game where a clean sheet is an absolute priority, not playing your best keeper is complete insanity.

Compare the chance yesterday where Lukaku tried to go around Leno who had dived at his feet, but he was able to get back up and stretch to block the shot, to the incident where Sanchez danced around helmet head who collapsed like felled oak to score in the cup match.

That's the kind of margins you're dealing with and I can't believe we're going to self harm by playing Pete the Plank :banghead: :banghead:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Clearly Sokratis had more urgent matters to deal with this Thursday, hence the reason for his determination for the double yellow last week, which means the return of Mustafi in a back five. Iwobi will no doubt return for Lacazette, although I'd like to see Suarez start, and Torreira in for Ramsey.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm
xisstential wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:24 pm
clockender1 wrote:

100% guaranteed :evil: :evil:

I have defended dick on numerous occasions this season when I felt that he was unfairly criticised, but I fear that this will be one occasion where there can be no defending him - as clockender has said, we have no league game for almost 3 weeks now so there is no reason for dick to get cute and start resting players in this game. However I do believe that he will "rest" leno, one of the centre backs, ozil and maybe one more, and if it then goes tits up the blame will land squarely on dicks shoulders.
This time last week I felt mentally exhausted after the scum game, so I can only imagine how the players felt - the problem is that the players followed up that big high with a very low low in the first leg, and I do worry that we could see a repeat of that this week
Why does the keeper need to be rested anyway? If we play like we can/should he'll be resting on the field for most of the game.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

since the players get 18 days off after this match NOBODY should be rested.
it should just be the best players on the pitch giving 100% for 90 minutes.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The reason that back up keepers get a run out in the cup games is nothing to do with rest, it's to give them experience in proper, competitive high pressure games so that if your first choice gets crocked at some point over the season you're not just throwing the understudy in at the deep end and moaning when it all goes to shit.

And if we were doing it with say Martinez I could actually understand the logic and get behind the decision, but there is absolutely no benefit to anybody in playing the geriatric chav in the scrum cap who's retiring in a few weeks. I don't know whether the decision is based on sentiment or some agreement that's in place between the manager and player but whatever the reason is it's the wrong one.

Yet that's exactly what we're going to do :banghead:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i really hope he surprises us all, but I don't see it. As our manager, given that Cech has announced his retirement, if anything Martinez needs playing time.

this is no time for sentiment - we are 2-0 down and no Sokratis.

we have no game at the weekend. it should be the strongest 11.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Martinez is on loan at Reading and playing really well by all accounts, puled off a worldie last weekend. Hope he comes back next season and provides decent back up.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I hope and pray he plays Leno but as others have rightly said he probably won't. With Mustafalaugh on as well it could go either way. Hopefully he plays Boomerang, Laca and Ozil and we can put these pubbers on the back foot further up the pitch away from the Dicktard Brothers. :|

4-1 to The Arsenal. I hope. 8)

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:45 pm
I hope and pray he plays Leno but as others have rightly said he probably won't. With Mustafalaugh on as well it could go either way. Hopefully he plays Boomerang, Laca and Ozil and we can put these pubbers on the back foot further up the pitch away from the Dicktard Brothers. :|

4-1 to The Arsenal. I hope. 8)
Laca is banned i think ?