Ramsey's emotional farewell

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Ramsey's emotional farewell

Post by Nos89 »

I was not only surprised to see him visibly show his emotion in interviews after his farewell, I am staggered that I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the "great" Aaron Ramsey on this forum. Even put his name in a search engine for the forum. I found threads for Zidane, Hoddle, Sir Alex Ferguson and Mark Flatts but not for Ramsey.
Anyway, wish him well at Juventus, think his style of play is well suited for Serie A.

augie

Re: Ramsey's emotional farewell

Post by augie »

I refer you to the below comment which I posted on the brighton match thread -

Btw I am sorry but all this bollox about ramsey tearing up and getting all emotional...….. please fcuking fcuk off :roll:

I commended his attitude and work-rate over the last few months even though his "transfer" was announced, and there is no doubt that we missed him in recent games, but lets be honest here and acknowledge that he is not being forced out the door and is leaving the club by choice, so fcuk off with this tears b.ullshit. Unlike some, I don't just focus on the past 5 months and I recognise the years of woefully inconsistent play and frequent injuries, and yet you still believed that you were worthy of demanding a contract that far exceeded your contribution to that point. If I was a cynic I would suggest that your play in the past few months was a bid to impress your new employers and fans, but obviously I am not a cynic :wink:

I wish you luck and success in the future rambo, but please spare me the false emotion crap

herbert

Post by herbert »

False emotion?
bollox Augie the lad was upset if that was false emotion then he should be going to Hollywood and not Turin

Good luck Rambo

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Blimey Augie, you could have included my response to your post on the Brighton thread. For all the Ramsey lovers, I’ll do as Augie has done and post it here too. :D :wink:

Agree with this. I’ll admit to being biased, because I’ve never rated the bloke. He had a good 3 months a few years back and has managed to look preferable to most of the dross we currently have posing as footballersreat....wrong. Just looked at his record. In the last 8 seasons (I discounted the first three out of fairness, because he was a kid and then had the leg break), he’s scored 36 league goals. That’s an average of 4.5 league goals per season and that’s a poor return for a centre mid that doesn’t defend and is best used as a virtual number 10 (which Dick has done).

Someone said he’s been unlucky to be in a poor side....well, he’s a big part of that poor side and take it from me, in a good side (Arsenal ‘98-‘04), he would have been lucky to make the bench.

Let’s see how he gets on at Juve, where it’s all in his favour. Far and away the best side in a very weak league, so he should shine like a star. I suspect that the crowd will be on to him inside 3 months and that he’ll be dropped to the bench. I genuinely hope I’m wrong.

I do admire his attitude this season and that says a lot about his sense of honour. However, don’t delude yourselves that we’re losing a gem, simply because the team is full of deadbeats. He’s bang average at best. Compared to Xhaka, he’s Messi, but compared to Messi, he’s Xhaka.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Club legend. Two winners in cup finals, came back from the most devastating injury I've seen to any player in the game. Deserves our respect and best wishes in the future. Hope he gets a testimonial at the end of his career.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Even a thread about an emotional goodbye from a fella who scored 2 cup final winners for us turns into a who out of the moan moan moan lovers can disect him with there intellectual football bullshit the most

wish the lad well and move on

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm always amazed at how much better players get after they leave! :lol: :roll:

The Welsh Messi-Lite is now world class apparently. The fickle mindset of the modern sawker fan where every cùnt that scores a goal is a club legend..... :oops: :wink:

Ramsey was for the vast majority of his Arsenal career an appallingly inept wasteful and hugely frustrating player. There is no way round that. The stupid flicks tricks and backheels that constantly lost cheap possession often when under no pressure, the silly 30 yard attempts at getting that goal of the season award when a simple pass would have served the team better, the terrible misplaced passes where he constantly chose the stupid difficult option instead of the simple effective option..... the list goes on ffs..... :roll:

Yes he had a brilliant half a season in 2014 where he seemed to be finally delivering all that potential everyone spoke of. But his ego ran away with him. He believed he was world class. Then he got crocked again. And he's been average to shit ever since with the odd decent display here and there.

Are there worse players in that team? Absolutely. I'd have prioritised getting rid of Comedy Iwobi, Mustafalaugh and Xhakatard long before Ramsey but then they are not demanding superstar wages. And let's not lose track of that. The ONLY reason he is leaving is money. So any respect I'm expected to have for him is tempered by that.

The positives? Two FA Cup winning goals - in finals where he actually didn't even play that well. Also cannot fault his attitude in the last few months.

No ill will towards him but also not sorry to see him go tbh especially as he wanted superstar money for bog average performances.

Herd

Post by Herd »

IL agree with Augie on most things but he was forced out of the club . We gave him an offer and then withdrew it. If that's not forced I don't know what is. After that he just sat back and waited for JJuve

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The problem is too many people over use the word legend, to the point that it has lost all meaning. A legend is for me, someone who did it time and again, season after season, who consistently produced on the big occasions. The likes of Alan Smith, David Rocastle, Tony Adams, Bergkamp, Ian Wright, Henry etc (and the list goes on) all fall into that category. Ramsey on the the other hand, scored 2 cup final winners but went missing constantly in his career. If it is questionable if someone is a legend, then they probably arent.

GTG

Post by GTG »

As far as I'm concerned he gave me 2 of the most memorable days as a Gooner in more recent times so for that i'll always be grateful to him. His goal got the no trophy monkey off our back when no one else seemed capable of doing it.

2 things that annoy me is the fact that so many fucked off rather than giving him a decent send off. Doesn't surprise me in the least with those who go to the bowl these days but we used to act with class as a club. I get the frustration with the team but stick around and give them pelters on the lap then.

The other thing is this business of the money he was after. The reasons why that was the case was because of the fuckwits deciding to award Ozil the mega deal. Any one of us put in the similar contract situation (which was all of the clubs own doing as usual) would have done the exact same thing Ramsey did. Which is try and get a deal as close to what Ozil was on.

Whether the deal was then withdrawn or not none of us really know but since that he's acted completely professionally and given his best for the club.

Could you honestly see many other members of this current squad acting like that? I very much doubt it.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Modern sawker fans :lol: I would say that there is nothing modern about wishing a player who has been at the club for 11yrs all the best

that is old skool and goes back to a time before social media when supporters errr supported and didnt fhave the platforms to enlighten us with there punditry and opinions over and over again :banghead: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

herbert wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:41 am
Even a thread about an emotional goodbye from a fella who scored 2 cup final winners for us turns into a who out of the moan moan moan lovers can disect him with there intellectual football bullshit the most

wish the lad well and move on
:lol:
I’m glad you appreciate that my bullshit is intellectual, Herbert. Common, everyday bullshit would be a dreadful thing. :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

GTG wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:30 am
As far as I'm concerned he gave me 2 of the most memorable days as a Gooner in more recent times so for that i'll always be grateful to him. His goal got the no trophy monkey off our back when no one else seemed capable of doing it.

2 things that annoy me is the fact that so many fucked off rather than giving him a decent send off. Doesn't surprise me in the least with those who go to the bowl these days but we used to act with class as a club. I get the frustration with the team but stick around and give them pelters on the lap then.

The other thing is this business of the money he was after. The reasons why that was the case was because of the fuckwits deciding to award Ozil the mega deal. Any one of us put in the similar contract situation (which was all of the clubs own doing as usual) would have done the exact same thing Ramsey did. Which is try and get a deal as close to what Ozil was on.

Whether the deal was then withdrawn or not none of us really know but since that he's acted completely professionally and given his best for the club.

Could you honestly see many other members of this current squad acting like that? I very much doubt it.

Firstly that works both ways - the club used to act with a bit of class but that ship has sailed long ago, but secondly the players show fcuk all appreciation/gratitude/respect towards the fans unless it suits them to do so. I come from a different era where there used to be a genuine connection between players and the fans and I (begrudgingly) accept that the ship sailed a long time ago too, but don't tell me then that players are entitled to more back from the fans than they are already getting. Football prices have gone through the roof and players wages are the main problem with that, but of course it is the fans who are suffering financially for that.

Re Sunday's "send off", if I was there MAYBE I would have stayed for the lap but I suggest that there are a few worthy reasons why fans didn't - (a) we have just seen a collapse of shite fart lane levels in the past month, and I can absolutely see why fans would not want to stick around and pay homage to the players who were the main part of that collapse (b) the farewell ramsey was getting also incorporated the chav helmet head and no proper fan recognises him as anything other than a chav. When I seen the banner up pre-game lauding ramsey AND cech, it literally made me want to vomit - maybe if the "tribute" was just for ramsey more fans would have stayed ?

The ozil contract was a monumental fcuk up by the club, and this seems to be an accepted fact by the fans and everyone in the football world - I can see why ramsey might want to take advantage of that stupidity, but surely him and his agent recognised that such a fcuk up would not happen again, and that there would be uproar if he received a similar contract ? I'm sure that somewhere along the way the club made it clear to ramsey's agent that there was a line that they wouldn't go beyond, and that there was a final offer than would not be increased ? I would think that he knew that and neither signed it or rejected it cos he was waiting to see what other offers he received. After a while the club obviously twigged that he was playing them and decided to try to lamely attempt to regain some power by pulling the offer, but everyone knew at that stage he was leaving anyway. Personally I don't blame him for leaving cos I think that too many british and Irish players are afraid to test themselves in a foreign league and their development suffers as a result, but at the same time I am delighted that the club refused to pay him over the odds cos he wasn't worth it imo. Yes it would have been preferable to receive some coin for him in a transfer fee, but losing him for free makes more sense to me than paying him excessive wages. He is leaving by choice imo - the club made a final offer which he left on the table for too long, and that is why it was withdrawn, so spare me the tears of a man that is leaving by choice

herbert

Post by herbert »

Duck me mate I thought it would be a while till we heard from you now that my lord and master has gone but I see you have doubts about Emery all ready

Get the engines started the banners ready and some bulbs for the light show :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

herbert wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am
Modern sawker fans :lol: I would say that there is nothing modern about wishing a player who has been at the club for 11yrs all the best

that is old skool and goes back to a time before social media when supporters errr supported and didnt fhave the platforms to enlighten us with there punditry and opinions over and over again :banghead: :lol:

I think that was aimed at the suggestion by gp543 (an American) that ramsey is "a legend" - everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but in no sensible world does ramsey come anywhere close to legend status.

I think most of us (me included) wish Rambo the best of luck in the future (we'll see how those feelings stand up when he signs for manure in 2 or 3 years time :roll: ), but many of us feel that the waterworks he showed on sunday is a leeetle bit staged